300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the president ever be arrested?

Say Bush, or any other U.S. president had committed a felony such as armed robbery or murder, coud they be arrested?

what makes them exempt from criminal activity?....yes, they could be arrested. i wouldn't want to be the one do go through all that though.
    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

It's my collar! It's my collar!

That's what the secret service is for.

Comment

Originally posted by SURGEAHOLIC View Post
        Say Bush, or any other U.S. president had committed a felony such as armed robbery or murder, coud they be arrested?

The short answer is no.

He would first have to be impeached and convicted by the Congress, and removed from office. Then he can be arrested.
        Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Is it possible? Yes! Is it lawful? Questionable! Read this:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mprezarrest.htm
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
            He would first have to be impeached and convicted by the Congress, and removed from office. Then he can be arrested.
            +1

Almost verbatim to what I was going to say.
            “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
              The short answer is no.

I think that's right. He has to be impeached and convicted first.

Comment

Originally posted by gadphto89

hmm maybe I'm thinking the "provost marshall general"? that's all i can find so far but i don't think its it

edit2: ok yes it is this provost marshall, he has the authority to arrest the president. but it's not an appointed position, the provost marshall is in the army i think
                That's why this section is called "Ask a Cop" not "Ask a Student Who Wants to Be A Cop". The Provost Marshal (one l, not two), is the head Military Police commander on an Army base. The Provost Marshal General is the head of all law enforcement activity for the US Army, when the post exists. The position has been reinstated again, but for decades it didn't exist, including when I was in the Army. I don't think UCMJ covers the president or the arrest of same, especially considering the importance that was laid on civilian control of the military and prevention of military coup by our founding fathers.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

The question was about a President being arrested, I don't see where it says "while in office".

So, I asked myself ... could Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, etc, past presidents ... ever be arrested? Could a standing President be impeached, removed from office, and then be arrested all in due turn ... I think so.

But ..... I'ld hate to be the agent assigned to sit with one in a cell if he drew hard time.

Hope I never see this happen.
                  "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Since every living President has a full time security detail assigned to them 24 hours a day, I think it would be very difficult for the President to do a crime without them interfering.
                    never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

Bill Clinton got a blow job and whatever else with a security detail.

G-man
                      1*

Comment

Originally posted by G-MAN View Post
                        Bill Clinton got a blow job and whatever else with a security detail.

G-man
                        1*
                        The blow job wasn't the problem. Perjuring himself to Congress after the fact is what got him in trouble.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Ok well this may be silly but, If the President was arrested would he have to sit in jail with his Secret Service detail or would he only be in the hands of the officers working the jail? Also if he had to sit in jail with the Secret Service would they still be armed? Forgive me but I've always wondered that.
                          Line is ready. Shooters ready. Attention!

Comment

Originally posted by Macquaid View Post
                            Ok well this may be silly but, If the President was arrested would he have to sit in jail with his Secret Service detail or would he only be in the hands of the officers working the jail? Also if he had to sit in jail with the Secret Service would they still be armed? Forgive me but I've always wondered that.
                            He could probably make bail.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

The POTUS has the Constitutional right of pardon.

So if he's still in office, could he not pardon himself?

I still think he'd have to be impeached, convicted, and removed from office first.
                              Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6259 users online. 313 members and 5946 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X