Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applicants with ADD

Hey everyone!

A few months back I applied to get into the Army reserves, I passed the aptitude, physical and interview with flying colors however they told me that I wouldn't be able to get hired until I was off my medication for at least 6 months, because I have ADD I take prescription stimulants (something like Ritalin) however even when I'm not medicated, I'm not hyperactive or anything; merely somewhat less attentive. Even off the medication I still do alright in school (low 70% average) but with the medication I do much better (low 90% average).

I spoke to the Detachment Commander at the OPP location where I did my Co-op and he said that it wouldn't be a problem however I ultamatley plan to work for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and feel as though their opinion might be somewhat different.

I was wondering what the standpoint of a Police Department in the US would be on an applicant that has ADD? Anything you could suggest would be really appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Light'emup

Originally posted by Light'emup View Post
    Hey everyone!

A few months back I applied to get into the Army reserves, I passed the aptitude, physical and interview with flying colors however they told me that I wouldn't be able to get hired until I was off my medication for at least 6 months, because I have ADD I take prescription stimulants (something like Ritalin) however even when I'm not medicated, I'm not hyperactive or anything; merely somewhat less attentive. Even off the medication I still do alright in school (low 70% average) but with the medication I do much better (low 90% average).

I spoke to the Detachment Commander at the OPP location where I did my Co-op and he said that it wouldn't be a problem however I ultamatley plan to work for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and feel as though their opinion might be somewhat different.

I was wondering what the standpoint of a Police Department in the US would be on an applicant that has ADD? Anything you could suggest would be really appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Light'emup
    The specific answer to your question would have to come from LVMPD, or any agency to which you applied. I assume from your post that you're a Canadian citizen. If that's the case, I believe you'd have to be a U.S. Citizen to be employed by LVMPD. We have a couple of Metro Officers on the forum, so it's possible they could provide you with more information.

Comment

Read my posts in the Hiring section re: similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Light'emup View Post
        Hey everyone!

Many Thanks,

Light'emup

A buddy of mine has ADD and takes meds for it... he's one of the best cops I know.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5937 users online. 346 members and 5591 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X