Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney & Other Parks put ban on Guns in employees

CARS

Disney fired an employee for having a gun in his car and not consenting to search, and they are using the whole "fireworks" deal to try and make it illegal. What's your stance on this? Should Disney be allowed to do this?

It's hard to explain, I'll let you read some articles

http://www.local6.com/entertainment/...39/detail.html

P.S. When searching for the subject, google thought I meant this: "disney fired employee for having fun in car"
    Last edited by bubbless; 07-17-2008, 01:15 PM.

Of course it's legal. An employer can fire an employee for any reason except law-defined discrimination. They can certainly fire them for breaking a rule.

BTW: I'm taking your word on the story; neither of your links work.

Comment

At the end of the day, my stance doesn't matter. What matters is Disney's long standing prohibition against firearms on it's property. They have a very basic right to establish and enforce this policy. I'm also of the belief, that in all probablility, the fired employee was made aware of this policy when he was hired. I realize my reply might come across as somewhat premptory. No intention to offend you, merely to advise that property owners have the basic right to determine whether or not firearms are permitted on their property. It could be argued that such policies are short sighted, etc, however, that does not alter the basic right(s) I've mentioned. BTW. I carry under provisions of HR 218, and I'm big on the 2nd Ammendment. I'm not big on Donald Duck, Micky Mouse, or Disney World in general. So, I guess it's easy for me to say, but carrying/not carrying at Disney is a non-issue for me.

Comment

"ORLANDO, Fla. -- An employee who challenged Disney over Florida's new gun-at-work law -- and was subsequently fired -- filed a lawsuit on Friday in an attempt to get his job back.

Edwin Sotomayor, 36, of Kissimmeee, was terminated from his job as a security officer for violating company policies and failing to cooperate during an investigation after he took a gun to work and left it in his vehicle.

Disney recently announced that it was exempt from a new state law that says workers can take guns to work as long as they leave them locked in their cars. Disney claims the law does not apply to its employees because it has explosives on its property.

"It is a big deal to me and to thousands of people around the country that believe that Disney is very un-American," said Sotomayor, who personally paid the $300 fee to file the lawsuit.

"What we're trying to do is to reinstate him to his position at Disney, which he loved, and to reinstate all benefits that he had that were taken away. And, of course, to undo the trespass warning," attorney Jon Gutmacher said.

"The company is telling the terrorists, 'Come on in. It's not going to matter. You can leave your weapons of mass destruction in the parking lot, we don't have a problem with that. But employees? Can't happen. Sorry,'" Sotomayor said.

"We have no idea what this lawsuit is about. It doesn't change our position that the exemption is clear. We won't compromise the safety our guests and cast members at the Walt Disney World Resort," Disney said in a statement.

The incident came to light after Sotomayor informed local media about the gun. Media outlets called Disney, leading to the search request, suspension and firing.

Orange County sheriff's deputies were called by Disney management to maintain order and to issue a formal trespass warning to Sotomayor when he refused the search.

Sotomayor was suspended after the incident before being fired on Monday."

Comment

Sure they can......

FYI,,,,,the ban on firearms in the parks also extends to off duty LEOs and anyone with a CCW.....
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

There was also a story about a pizza man being robbed, and having a gun in his car and using it, also in Florida. He too was consequently, fired.

Comment

"New state law that says workers can take guns to work as long as they leave them locked in their cars."

How can Disney be exempt from this law?

Comment

Originally posted by bubbless View Post
                There was also a story about a pizza man being robbed, and having a gun in his car and using it, also in Florida. He too was consequently, fired.
                That happens all the time......esp. in CA......

That doesnt actually surprise you, does it?
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

No, I'm just saying, with the new law, how are these companies able to fire employees, if it states that workers can take guns to work?

Comment

No, I'm just saying, with the new law, how are these companies able to fire employees, if it states that workers can take guns to work?
                    It would depend on the exact wording of the new law.....

From the article, it sounds like there is an exception if the property has explosives on it.......

Comment

yeah, why would Disney want armed police professionals in it's parks...which just happen to be major "soft" targets for terrorists? what a crazy notion!
                      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

They're trying to become exempt by saying that Explosives are a major part of their income, which isn't true, but they are using that exception, from what I'm told.

Comment

They're trying to become exempt by saying that Explosives are a major part of their income, which isn't true, but they are using that exception, from what I'm told.

Actually that's only one of the explosive exemptions. The other one is:

"property owned or leased by an employer who has obtained a permit" (under federal law for such explosives)

Disney has a federal explosive permit for their fireworks.
                          Wis Statute 947.01: Disorderly Conduct - Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in behavior that is violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud, or otherwise acts like a ****ing idiot, is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

Comment

Private property owners should be allowed to prohibit anything they want from coming on their property. Unfortunately private property rights is one of the most eroded fundamental rights in this country, and one that gets very little attention until something like this or an eminent domain controversy pops up.

As long as the propery owner accepts ZERO public dollars, he should be able to dictate who and what comes on his property without the need for explanation, apology, or permission.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but the problem I found in the article was......

The incident came to light after Sotomayor informed local media about the gun. Media outlets called Disney, leading to the search request, suspension and firing.

Ummm, I'm sure other Disney employees carry, but they're not gonna go brag about it. Obviously, the teflon don is no more.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4432 users online. 277 members and 4155 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X