Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officers under 5'6" step in!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Officers under 5'6" step in!

    I am a small frame person, at 5'5" and about 135 pounds.

    On one hand, a lot of the officers I come in contact with here in NYC are usually a lot taller than that and look like they weigh more.

    On the other hand, I am seeing more and more officers near my height and weight and have even seen male officers shorter than I am.

    My question is, do you find yourself at a disadvantage being shorter than your fellow officers? If so, in what way and what kinds of things have you done in terms of training to avoid getting your *** handed to you in case of a physical altercation with a perp?

  • #2
    I was on the shorter side in my class but I found out real quick it doesn't matter that much how big you are, it's heart and determination. Some of the smallest males/females in my class were really really fiesty. I remember in TAC Challenge the only person to handcuff the suspect in the grappling scenario (against a trainer) was the smallest guy in our class.

    Comment


    • #3
      The only real issue you'll face about your size is your own lack of confidence.

      Take comfort in the fact you got a bunch of tools on your belt that will equalize the playing field in a fight. In a fight, your hopefully not fighting alone and your not fighting fair. Your fighting to win and your fighting with whatever you got.

      There is always going to be someone stronger and taller than everyone (except I guess the tallest/strongest man in the world.) You just gotta train and prepare to the best of your ability and hope when it hits the fan you're ready for it.

      My advise would be to keep thoughts of your size out of your mind. Don't think about it and it wont hinder you.

      People might joke around with you about it, but don't let it get to you - they don't mean anything by it.

      Comment


      • #4
        I just carry one of these in the front of my shorts:






        Honestly, in my limited experience I've discovered that I have virtually all the control over whether physical force is needed in any situation. There are guys who routinely get in "scuffles" and there are guys who don't. I usually don't. I'm 6'2" tall and 195 lbs (220 lbs counting belt and gear). I work in Arizona where I deal with a lot of hispanics, and most of them are substantially smaller than me. I have to be careful not to be lulled into a false sense of security by assuming that I can ragdoll a half-dozen if I need to. Some of the smaller officers I've observed are more alert than myself, better at sensing trouble and faster to position themselves at a tactical advantage (probably because they consider all this stuff before I do).


        Size is nice, but I know many sharp and savvy smaller officers who consistently negate their disparity in size. I've learned some of my most valuable officer safety tricks/techniques from smaller officers.
        "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

        Comment


        • #5
          someone on another site said it best, someting to the effect of:

          "size matters MORE than the smaller guys will admit, but LESS than the bigger guys will have you believe."

          YES, size does matter, but (as already stated) not nearly as much as confidence and determination.

          i'm not sure if you've ever dealt with someone smaller than yourself, but when you do, you'll notice you will feel a little different talking to them. so do the subjects you encounter.

          i'm kinda on the small side, i try to set the tone from the jump and as a result don't encounter as much resistant as would be expected for a guy my size. But i still realize alot of meat heads look at me and think, "i could take this guy right now" and conduct themselves a little differently than if i was 6'2" 250.

          btw- the meanest, toughest cop i know weighs in at maybe 155#

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm 5'6"ish...and 180 pounds, not fat!

            Anyways, I workout everyday and focus on strength training because I know that sometimes you need sheer brute force along with heart/determination!

            Also, how you conduct yourself, your appearance and your confidence will get people to comply without being a dick! Size has nothing to do with this job!

            If you are however worried about it, start hitting the weights, get with a trainer/dietician to get you bulked up and that alone will help with your confidence!
            "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

            Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Omega17632 View Post
              I'm 5'6"ish...and 180 pounds, not fat!

              Anyways, I workout everyday and focus on strength training because I know that sometimes you need sheer brute force along with heart/determination!

              Also, how you conduct yourself, your appearance and your confidence will get people to comply without being a dick! Size has nothing to do with this job!

              If you are however worried about it, start hitting the weights, get with a trainer/dietician to get you bulked up and that alone will help with your confidence!
              SHE'S probably not in a hurry to get bulked up just guessin, who's knows

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by injunwil View Post
                SHE'S probably not in a hurry to get bulked up just guessin, who's knows
                hahaha..why did you assume I was a female?

                Thanks for the posts everyone. I am going to join my the gym with my friend. For $400 a month it's 24 hour access plus a trainer that will work with you to work the exact parts of the body you want.

                Daisy-I definitely understand what you're saying about being more alert. I'm not sure how I would stack up against other LEO's but for a civilian, I think I am very alert to my surroundings and my eyes are usually all over the place everywhere I go. I notice a lot of little details that most if not all of my other friends miss.

                Comment


                • #9
                  $400 a month...are you effin kidding me??????

                  I pay $25 a month to Gold's Gym which is a powerhouse type gym, and I pay half that much for a personal trainer who is also a professional body builder!!! You are getting screwed for $400!!!!


                  Also, there is nothing wrong with a girl hitting the weights and adding some muscle/bulk!!! I kinda like a woman that can bench more than me!!!
                  "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

                  Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ............
                    Last edited by DetDep; 07-10-2008, 09:04 AM.
                    Magistrate: "Do you have any other pending charges?"
                    Drunk: "Well there's this thing where the cops said I spit blood on them."
                    Me: "Wait a minute, that was me!"
                    Drunk: "Oh... now you like me even less."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NextCapCop View Post
                      hahaha..why did you assume I was a female?

                      Thanks for the posts everyone. I am going to join my the gym with my friend. For $400 a month it's 24 hour access plus a trainer that will work with you to work the exact parts of the body you want.

                      Daisy-I definitely understand what you're saying about being more alert. I'm not sure how I would stack up against other LEO's but for a civilian, I think I am very alert to my surroundings and my eyes are usually all over the place everywhere I go. I notice a lot of little details that most if not all of my other friends miss.
                      not really an assumption, i read your first post carefully. even withouth the - i have even seen MALE officers my size (not sure of your exact verbage), i would've guessed ya for a girl with the "hai guise" under your name.

                      i'm correct, aren't i? if not, damn, you'ze a little dude

                      and i still say that quote i ganked from the other site is dead on. notice it's the little people who all say size doesn't matter.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        With this kind of height and weight some training with Ju Jitsu would be helpful. My training in this has given me the confidence to look up at some big turds and say "Check out the name tag...you're in my world now grandma."
                        "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Omega17632 View Post
                          You are getting screwed for $400!!!!
                          whoops that was a typo. It's $400 a YEAR and includes classes like kickboxing and stuff.

                          Originally posted by cantue5 View Post
                          With this kind of height and weight some training with Ju Jitsu would be helpful. My training in this has given me the confidence to look up at some big turds and say "Check out the name tag...you're in my world now grandma."
                          I actually have about 3 years of martial arts training so I'm hoping that was worth it. haha "youre in my world now grandma". I think after I complete my training, I will be good to go and not worry about it so much.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NextCapCop View Post
                            My question is, do you find yourself at a disadvantage being shorter than your fellow officers? If so, in what way and what kinds of things have you done in terms of training to avoid getting your *** handed to you in case of a physical altercation with a perp?
                            I'm 5'6" and around 173 to 177 lbs. depending on when I weigh myself and if I dropped a load beforehand. About 10 lbs. of it is flab so I do need to lose weight.
                            With the training that I was given, everyone is taught the same defensive tactics regardless of the person's size. The officer is always to choose the level of force that is at least one step greater than the opponent. So, if the suspect is larger in size than the opposing subject, it is justifiable to use a weapon in order to effect an arrest. There's no point in getting beat or killed just to prove you tried to go hand-to-hand with a larger opponent.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 4002 users online. 280 members and 3722 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X