300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with this senerio?

I have to give an answer to a senerio and list some court cases to back up my argument for a law class. Any help would be appreciated. This is the senerio. After a hurricane had damaged a tree near a school, the tree was removed but the stump remained. When a teacher took her class out to play at recess, she told them to stay away from the tree stump. A boy was playing near the stump and was warned an additional two times to stay away. While the teacher was monitoring another part of the playground, she did not see the boy fall on the stump. The boy substained a lacerated pancrease. The parent's sued the teacher for negligence. Was the teacher negligence? I need reasons to support my answer followed by court cases that support my answer.
    Memphis PD
    Written Exams (passed)
    Physical Ability Test (passed)
    Background Investigation (passed)
    Psychological Tests and Interview
    Comprehensive Medical Examination

Scenario....
    "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Duck Hunter View Post
      I have to give an answer to a senerio and list some court cases to back up my argument for a law class. Any help would be appreciated. This is the senerio. After a hurricane had damaged a tree near a school, the tree was removed but the stump remained. When a teacher took her class out to play at recess, she told them to stay away from the tree stump. A boy was playing near the stump and was warned an additional two times to stay away. While the teacher was monitoring another part of the playground, she did not see the boy fall on the stump. The boy substained a lacerated pancrease. The parent's sued the teacher for negligence. Was the teacher negligence? I need reasons to support my answer followed by court cases that support my answer.
      This scenario is fairly difficult for a law enforcement officer to answer because this is a civil issue. Law enforcement officials may be called to this issue and even write just an informational report. However in the informational report it would merely stated the facts and would not label a subject involved as at fault.
      Civil litigation is something that law enforcement officers try not to get involved in and since there would be no criminal repercussions in the incident as you stated it. It would be better to ask a civil litigation attorney to cite case law and things of that nature as we do not deal with such things.

Comment

Based on that scenario...the teacher would not be sued, the school and school board can be sued. The teacher could just lose her job. Vicarious liability...get to the one with the deeper pocket.
        I DON'T FIGHT TO WIN, I FIGHT TO SURVIVE.

Comment

In my scenario -
          The parents are sued by the teacher (using the school district's attorney) for not teaching little Johnny to obey his teachers. Little Johnny gets suspended (after his precious little pancreas heals) for disrupting class and causing undue stress to his teacher and classmates.

Never happen, but still....
          “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
            In my scenario -
            The parents are sued by the teacher (using the school district's attorney) for not teaching little Johnny to obey his teachers. Little Johnny gets suspended (after his precious little pancreas heals) for disrupting class and causing undue stress to his teacher and classmates.

Ooh, I like that one! Alternatively, you could try suing the hurricane - after all, it's got a name, doesn't it?
            If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Tell your instructor, you are becoming a police officer, not a lawyer... It's a civil issue...

Comment

Civil, no criminal offense. As an Officer you'd show up and write the report noting facts not opinions.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                  In my scenario -

Oh my oh my what happened to those days...
                  Little snot nosed punk kids and their parents are all sue happy
                  I got nothing for now

Comment

Civil..........

Comment

True!!!!

Originally posted by Duck Hunter View Post
                      This is a legal question, not for law enforcement, try this link that I placed below, this should help you if you wish!
                      http://forum.freeadvice.com/
                      Take care and stay safe!
                      Ralph8119
                      A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!
                      sigpic
                      http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
                      http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
                      http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
                      http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

Comment

A punctured pancreas? Was the tree stump made of sharpened steel?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6621 users online. 357 members and 6264 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X