Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should minimum age to be in LE be changed?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should minimum age to be in LE be changed?

So here in California and I’m sure in many other states the minimum age to be a police officer is 21 (20 ½ if your in the academy). So my question is for the police officers who were older then 21 when they started their career. Can you imagine going through some of the bad stuff you have gone through in your career at the age of 21? Would you have been able to handle it? Do you think 21 is too young? Do you think people should be more mature? Or does it all just depend on the person despite what age they are? Also if you believe 21 is too young what do you think would be a good minimum age? I shall enjoy reading your responses. Thank you.
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Usually the hiring process is enough to weed out the 21 YRO that are not sufficiently ready for this work; although it is not a flawless system. Regardless I don't think that there will be a change anytime soon as recruiting has gotten hard enough as is. A lot of Departments are hurting for officers and a lot are not getting applicants that meet the hiring requirements.

Sadly I think if anything the hiring requirements will get softer; although I am pretty sure that 21 will be the age cut off regardless. I have worked with newer officers who are 21-22 and they have been fine; conversely I have worked with with newer officers who are 35-40 and had to remediate their way of thinking. I do believe life experience is better for the job...

I was in my mid-twenties when I started in Law Enforcement after putting time in Military and a couple years in the private sector workforce. Now that I am in my mid-30's I value all of the experience I have had, but that is just my personal case.

All of that to say that I do believe that a little of life experience outside of a classroom or college campus does serve a new officer a little better, but I doubt there will ever be any change to the minimum age requirement.
    "Oro En Paz, Fierro En Guerra"
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    - Attributed to both George Orwell and Winston Churchill (unsourced)
    Californian by birth, Cardinals fan by marriage!

Comment

In Florida the minimum age to be a LEO is 19 years old. I started with the first agency I worked for at 19 and I will say that I believe I was ready at that age to be a LEO. However, I have met many recruits that were older than me, and I would be scared if they had my back in a stressful situation due to lack of maturity. So I don't think that it is a question of age but more a question of mental maturity. I know 99% of 19-21 year old adults lack the mental maturity and could not handle both the responsibility or the pressure of this job. I like to think I was one of the few exceptions to that rule.
      It does seem that the younger the officer is that is hired, the more likely he/she is to get themselves into trouble.

Comment

There are a few states that LEO's can still be 18 and hired. From what I understand in Iowa you have to be 23 to be a Trooper. I wouldn't mind seeing something like 23 or even 25 before you can become a LEO, but that's just me. I have worked with people in the past that when they got hired the power has just went to their head and others that got the job that were like ok so what it's just a job.
        Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
          So here in California and I’m sure in many other states the minimum age to be a police officer is 21 (20 ½ if your in the academy).
          Section 1031b of the Government Code sets the minimum age for peace officers in California at 18. Each agency may have its own standards.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I'm sure there are exceptions to everything but, I myself did not have the maturity to do the job at 21. Ideally the only time a 21 year old should be hired is if he/she is coming off a 4 year stint in the military.

That's just an opinion though. I know that there are people out there 18 yoa and younger that could probably do the job if given the chance.
            MOLON LABE!

Ever Cook any fools?!?

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              Section 1031b of the Government Code sets the minimum age for peace officers in California at 18. Each agency may have its own standards.
              wow really? I didn't know that. i just figured that it was 21 because of all the departments i have checked into the minimum was 21. thank you for the info.

Comment

thank you everyone for your replies. i really like to hear other points of view.

Comment

When I was hired at 20 I had a chief who said no one under 25 should be allowed to be an officer. At the time I really disagreed with him, but the older I get the more wisdom I see in his statement.

Ohio is an 18 YOA state for non-civil service depts. and a 21 state for civil service depts.

Comment

minimum age here in GA is 18 but the vast majority of agencies require you to be 21 upon completion of the academy. i was 20 when i was hired and 21 when i graduated. i was put in some very tense situations (working for a big city) and i came out ok having made the right decisions. i just personally feel that 18 and 19 would be too young. you develop and mature quite a bit in those few years.
                    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Nowadays it should be 25 to be a LEO. College or military service after high school, and a couple of years experience in the real world. No offense to the few 21-24 year olds with a good head on their shoulders. I went through the academy at 32, and felt like I was dealing with a bunch of 7 year olds.

As our society changes, at a very fast pace, maturity level to age ratio is decreasing. The maturity level of a 21 year old today cannot be compared to the maturity level of a 21 year old 20 years ago. That's where the whole Generation X,Y,Z stuff comes in. Different expectations, different work ethic, feelings of entitlement ect.

Too many minimum age guys coming out of the academy, and getting in trouble within a year, for doing some dumb immature thing. Too many minimum age guys looking and acting the part of a teenager, and not getting respect from the public because of it. Just my .02
                      "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

I know I wasnt ready for this job at 21 and few people are. I started the academy at 25 (turnde 26 after week 1) and we had ages ranging from 20 to 46 years old. There were quite a few people in their early 20's who got us in trouble quite a bit. But there were also some in their 30s who did too as well as those in their early 20's who acted well beyond their age. Out on the road there are 21 year old officers who are lousy just as their are 31 and 41 year old officers who are lousy. Hell there are even those who have 20 years on the job that I wouldnt ever want to work with. It all depends on the individual and no law can really eliminate all of those who can pass the hiring process who arent ready for the job from getting in.

HOWEVER,

Alot of people from my generation and those after (XYZ etc) seem to have this feeling of entitlement and a need for instant gratification. They (we) want what we want and we want it NOW. They (we) also have these bloated and often delusional self impressions. I think this comes from telling all of these kids how wonderful they are at everything they do even when they are lousy. When people with these attitudes decide to become police officers they are shocked at the discipline required, and shocked at being told when they are screwing up. For any suopervisors or veteran officers out there PLEASE kick us younger officers in the *** when we start acting in this manner. It will get those who dont need to be in this line of work to shape up or ship out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2259 users online. 119 members and 2140 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X