Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airport Police?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Airport Police?

    What are the opinions of large metropolitan airport police? Obviously they're real police officers but amongst other officers, how are they viewed? I know in my brand of law enforcement, campus police, is not always highly thought of by the majority of LEOs. I am curious to know if this is also true of big airport officers.

    Also, I am curious to hear from any DFW airport police officers. What is that agency like to work for?

  • #2
    Originally posted by CrymsinSky View Post
    What are the opinions of large metropolitan airport police? Obviously they're real police officers but amongst other officers, how are they viewed? I know in my brand of law enforcement, campus police, is not always highly thought of by the majority of LEOs. I am curious to know if this is also true of big airport officers.

    Also, I am curious to hear from any DFW airport police officers. What is that agency like to work for?
    The payscale for DFW PD is niiiccee. Anyway, I am an Airport officer (Sgt as tag indicates) and I will tell you that we go through more training than a majority of LEO's in the state, and probably in the country. Since we do police, fire and EMS, our training is quite extensive. We also have special teams for both sides (i.e. hazmat, SWAT, EOD). Considering that my airport has close to 10 million passengers annually and roughly 6,500 acres to patrol (including residential and commercial properties), we stay busy. We're not knocking in doors and getting in pursuits like most urban departments, be we hold our own.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

    Comment


    • #3
      Some airport police forces are more high-speed than others. In Chicago, the Chicago Aviation Police weren't even allowed to carry guns. They attended the same academy as Chicago PD and were sworn police officers, but for some reason Mayor Daley wouldn't let them carry guns. I thought it was hilarious that the only time during the day when they didn't carry a gun was when they were on duty. Typical Chicago politics...
      Last edited by BD380; 06-19-2008, 09:52 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        As BD mentioned, it will definitely depend on location. I have also heard of other airports which are staffed by the local city/county LE agency that have senior officers put in for the assignment because it is slower-paced.

        Don't get me wrong, there is still a section of the public who have no idea that there are actual police officers at an airport. I have been called a "security officer" before, and it will probably happen again. I get a kick out of it, especially when they get stopped on the roads and you get looked at like you have two heads.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

        Comment


        • #5
          Depends on the airport. Some airport agencies are real high-speed. Traffic units, canine, plainclothes, swat, etc etc, whilst others may have 2 or 3 officers in golf carts.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm basing my answer on my experience in the New York State Couirts.....once you are through the mags it's too late to just say I'm leaving. That time is before you pass through the mag. Once you enter the mag you are consenting to the search.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nycool2
              mag?

              So they could make you strip because they want to
              and you can't leave?
              Mag = magnetometer (metal detector).

              Comment


              • #8
                SFPD officers are assigned to SFO.
                ACSO deputies are assigned to OAK.
                SYRACUSE POLICE officers are assigned to SYR.
                NYPD officers are assigned to JFK.

                I'm sure the list goes on.
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nycool2
                  Question (so don't ban)...

                  If someone gets stopped by airport security
                  and is taken to a side room, he is asked to take everything
                  out of his bags and even strip(?) can he just leave and say
                  he is leaving the airport and not taking the plane?

                  I know that they could ask him to take his stuff out
                  for no reason but if he says he is leaving and they have
                  nothing against him can they stop him?
                  No one is stripped searched at the airport. TSA has their screening process and may take you to an area for private screening. Once you enter the screening process (I won't say what part) you don't have the option to refuse screening and leave.
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nycool2
                    Question (so don't ban)...

                    If someone gets stopped by airport security
                    and is taken to a side room, he is asked to take everything
                    out of his bags and even strip(?) can he just leave and say
                    he is leaving the airport and not taking the plane?

                    I know that they could ask him to take his stuff out
                    for no reason but if he says he is leaving and they have
                    nothing against him can they stop him?
                    There has to be some significant evidence to have a strip search conducted. As far as bags or other personal belongings are concerned, once you are beyond the security checkpoint or initiated the screening process (i.e. bags on xray, getting wanded/patted down) anything you have is subject to search.

                    9th Circuit ruled on this recently. A guy leaving Hawaii entered the security checkpoint and was subject to a pat-down search. He told the screeners that he wanted to discontinue the screening process and leave the airport. The screeners contacted LEOs and a pat-down was conducted, which netted a felony amount of drugs. 9th Circuit held that once the screening process is initiated, searches are fair game, regardless if the passenger wants to continue flight or not.
                    Last edited by SgtScott31; 05-28-2008, 09:22 PM.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey kid, you're in ask a cop.
                      sigpic

                      I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nycool2
                        I don't understand that though...
                        The same way an officer can't check all your
                        stuff and all unless he has PC how can they
                        hold you and check all your stuff if you say
                        you wanna go?

                        I guess the whole latex gloves with the guy
                        thing was just in the movies
                        The second you place your belongings on the belt and/or walk through the metal detectors, you have given implied consent to search anything (and everything) you have. It is an administrative search and law enforcement (or the screeners/TSA) do not need probable cause.
                        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nycool2
                          I don't understand that though...
                          The same way an officer can't check all your
                          stuff and all unless he has PC how can they
                          hold you and check all your stuff if you say
                          you wanna go?

                          I guess the whole latex gloves with the guy
                          thing was just in the movies

                          TSA is Federal and they don't need PC.

                          Now it is different if you're stopped by the police.

                          I believe you are getting Police and TSA mixed up.
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                            The second you place your belongings on the belt and/or walk through the metal detectors, you have given implied consent to search anything (and everything) you have. It is an administrative search and law enforcement (or the screeners/TSA) do not need probable cause.

                            I learn something new everyday. Didn't know this.
                            sigpic

                            I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              US v. Aukai regarding searches @ checkpoints...

                              http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newo...df?openelement
                              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3631 users online. 196 members and 3435 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X