300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard County Police Agency impressions

Hello I'm looking into MD agencies (also VA FF county, but sent an application a month ago and nothing - guess I didn't even qualify in the application. ). I just want to post my findings of what Howard county is like. Information through my friends and research.

I'm in the process for Howard county PD, but in my recent research (thanks to this forum), it seems like theres just too much internal politics that I don't even want to continue with the process. Also, my friend who's a former cop (BPD) also says that he heard from a Howey cop that you have to write reports likes madman on every calls you get (neighbor's dogs barking and such). Plus, based on my opinion of howard county, I think the neighborhood might be just too quiet for my taste (maybe Howard county has its busy areas?).

Now on the positive note, I LOVE their equipments, especially their vehicles. Everyone I met were VERY professional. Double plus, I HEARD Howard County cops can carry back up weapons to each cops' discretion (how about .357 magnum as a duty weapon?! ). Also, schedule is awesome, take home cars, badass retirement, and community loves them.

Now I ask any howard county cops out there or anybody for that matters, can you verify any of these informations?
    Last edited by PaulPo; 05-27-2008, 11:56 PM.

Originally posted by PaulPo View Post
    Hello I'm looking into MD agencies (also VA FF county, but sent an application a month ago and nothing - guess I didn't even qualify in the application. ). I just want to post my findings of what Howard county is like. Information through my friends and research.

I'm in the process for Howard county PD, but in my recent research (thanks to this forum), it seems like theres just too much internal politics that I don't even want to continue with the process. Also, my friend who's a former cop (BPD) also says that he heard from a Howey cop that you have to write reports likes madman on every calls you get (neighbor's dogs barking and such). Plus, based on my opinion of howard county, I think the neighborhood might be just too quiet for my taste (maybe Howard county has its busy areas?).

Now on the positive note, I LOVE their equipments, especially their vehicles. Everyone I met were VERY professional. Double plus, I HEARD Howard County cops can carry back up weapons to each cops' discretion (how about .357 magnum as a duty weapon?! ). Also, schedule is awesome, take home cars, badass retirement, and community loves them.

Now I ask any howard county cops out there or anybody for that matters, can you verify any of these informations?

Every agency has some type of politics. And every agency has to write lots of paper. Those come with the job.

If everyone you met was VERY professional, and you like the equipment they are allowed to use, and their schedule and benifits.... what are you waiting for?

P.S. Cops get hurt even in slow areas. Buddy of mine just retired from working in a $*@thole for over 23 years without ever getting shot at. He goes to work in a town where the median price of a home is $1.2 million and everybody has at least 1 car over $50,000... and he gets shot at his first week off "training."
    Last edited by Looker; 05-28-2008, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Do you have experience as a cop? Is there some mass recruiting going on in your area where you can be so picky as to refuse to work for a department that is "too quiet" or where you have to add some event notes for a barking dog? If so, then good for you, don't work there and work somewhere else.

If not and you get offered the job, take it and kiss the feet of the guy that gave it to you. Then, work your butt off for a few years. Then you can be a little bit more picky.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
        Every agency has some type of politics. And every agency has to write lots of paper. Those come with the job.

If everyone you met was VERY professional, and you like the equipment they are allowed to use, and their schedule and benifits.... what are you waiting for?
        I completely agree with the above post, every department has its problems. From what you have posted there seems to be alot of positive feedback on the department. The only thing you should really be worried about just entering this line of work..... is to get hired. That in itself is not easy and really doesn't allow many applicants to be picky.

Comment

There's no mass recruiting, but there are bazillion departments to apply for (perks of living in MD/VA/DC area I guess). You guys are right though, I should really pursue the job and be thankful if I get hired. Not that I will, since this is the first law enforcement agency I applied to and people rarely get hired at their first.

Thanks!

P.S. can anyone verify the back up weapon policy?! I'm all about back ups! Surprised how BPD doesn't have that policy.

Comment

Howard County is a very professional agency and is well respected by surround L.E. departments. Comparing Howard Co. to BPD is comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. No disrespect to BPD intended.

If you were offered a position with Howard Co. I would jump on it in a heartbeat. I have known several of there own explorers that they didn't even hire when they became old enough. They are very selective during the hiring process as they usually get enough applicants to easily hand pick from them.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7030 users online. 250 members and 6780 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X