Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driver's License Valid but not in possession of...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's License Valid but not in possession of...

A younger female came to the gate and handed the officer her Identification Card, Insurance and Registration. I ran her I.D. Card and confirmed she did have a valid driver's license. The lady said her DL was stolen. My question is... when do you cite subjects who are not in possession of the original DL or Reg. I know younger folks now days let friends/family members borrow I.D.'s and DL's for getting into clubs and buying alcohol.

+ How the heck can I catch Driver's not properly restrained by there safety belts while patrolling? I'm having a heck of a time getting a good view inside the vehicle to see the shoulder strap when in motion. When I'm static it's no problem.

+ If anyone has a California Penal Code Cheat Sheet it would be greatly appreciated. I have a CVC one and it's a huge help instead of carrying a Qwik-Codes book.

I am not a huge traffic guy personally...... so I typically only write somebody if I caught them for a moving violation such as speeding and decide that I want to give them a break and write them a non-moving violation. Its a way for me to still cite them however not kill them with a fine and a bunch of points on their license.

Comment

Its hard to just make a stop for saftey restraints. That in Kansas is something we might add to a moving violation ticket. Esp. if they made us mad any point during the stop.
      What Is A Veteran?
      A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

If your observant you can easily catch people without shoulder restraints on. All you have to do is be behind them, look at where the safety restraints are and if there are 2 vertical straps of the safety restraint equal distances apart then the person isn't wearing their safety restraint. If the belt is vertical and then bends sharply then the person is not wearing their restraint correctly. It's pretty easy actually, remember not only do they need to be wearing it, but they need to wear it correctly, if not, it's a ticket here in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasmblack View Post
          Esp. if they made us mad any point during the stop.
          I love "Attitude Tickets".
          “This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

I'd probably let her slide on the lic., but I'd ask her when her lic was stolen, and if she said a month ago but hadn't had time to go to DMV, etc. she's lying and fair game. If they were honest, it had to be dangerous for me to cite, and I rarely went to court.
            There are so many laws in the PC and they change so often that the Quik-Code was easier for me.
            (Barstow?? Good luck with the Summer heat...)
            Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
            Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

In Arizona, I only write it if they are in a collision. Same with not having your paper registration. This way, when I go to court I can explain why it is necessary. Otherwise here, if you write for DL not in possession and the violater presents a license in court, the cite is automatically dismissed.
              Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

If they do not produce a drivers license and not other form of identification, they can be arrested or criminally cited for fail to ID. Sometimes I will have kids give me a college ID or school ID but they do not meet that identification standards. It has to have a picture with a birthdate and physical description. If not its a cite.

Seat belts are not a primary offense in Arizona so we can not stop someone just because they dont have a seatbelt on. We need another violation to make the stop first. Seatbelt tickets equal jerks tickets. If you get a seatbelt ticket or no registration if vehicle ticket from me that means you were not nice.

Comment

That's weird that other states aren't really firm about enforcing seat belts. Right now in California it's "Click it or ticket" time. On the base, one of the first signs you come across besides the speed limit sign states something along the lines of seatbelts are required to be worn at all times.

Comment

In my state, Missouri, seat belts are still not a primary offense, with the exception of passengers under sixteen and child restraint. I usually do not cite for not having a license in possession as long as they can provide me with something else to prove their identity.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                      I love "Attitude Tickets".
                      I make it a point NOT to write attitude tickets.

Comment

Here's the click it or ticket link. Where I work it's only a $20 fine plus $25 processing fee. It's funny the General for USMC is so concerned about speeding but in a recent email I received there were no references to wearing seat belts.

Comment

+1 Salmdunc

I think a female co-worker of mine said it best, "...and he kept calling me babe so he got 3 more tickets."

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD View Post
                            A younger female came to the gate and handed the officer her Identification Card, Insurance and Registration. I ran her I.D. Card and confirmed she did have a valid driver's license. The lady said her DL was stolen. My question is... when do you cite subjects who are not in possession of the original DL or Reg. I know younger folks now days let friends/family members borrow I.D.'s and DL's for getting into clubs and buying alcohol.

It seems to be a growing trend to leave your DL at home, in another purse, significant other holding it, etc. I have been tacking on the not in possession charge any time I get the feeling that it wasnt truly a mistake not having it...... its an inconvenience for them to have the ticket signed off instead of just mailing in the fine for the moving violation so it will hopefully be enough of a hassle that they start carrying it. For me it is a hassle when they dont have it so its worth tacking on the charge.

+ How the heck can I catch Driver's not properly restrained by there safety belts while patrolling? I'm having a heck of a time getting a good view inside the vehicle to see the shoulder strap when in motion. When I'm static it's no problem.

From your avatar it looks like you are a motor. If thats correct it is so easy to spot seatbelts if thats what you want. Sit at a stop sign and watch people roll up to you. At red lights slowly lane split up between the rows of cars looking inside. Just pull next to people while driving as they rarely see the motors rolling around until its too late. When we work the Click it or Ticket special details we can nab 40-50 seatbelts per shift

+ If anyone has a California Penal Code Cheat Sheet it would be greatly appreciated. I have a CVC one and it's a huge help instead of carrying a Qwik-Codes book.
                            CVC cheat sheets are great because there are so many different vehicle codes, but for penal codes...... I know whats illegal and whats not so I can look up the specific section later if I need to......cheat sheets are hard to maintain because the laws and subsections have a tendency to change.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3695 users online. 200 members and 3495 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X