300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drug usage question

Reading the post about how long drugs stay in your system, and checking a friend's myspace who is in Europe, at the same time, got me thinking of this question...If I were in a country where marijuana is legal, I used marijuana only while in that country, came back to the US and applied to be an LEO, whould that be a negative strike for me? This is purely a theoretical question, but I can't come up with an answer that I am happy with either way.

Yes, it would be.....because MJ is not legal HERE.....
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Every agency I've ever applied to asked about drug use, but didn't give a pass for use outside the US. Therefore the choices are to answer truthfully about the use, or lie and get caught in the lie by the background investigation and/or poly.

Comment

I am definately thinking that it would be a negative mark against one. I have a problem with that however. If I am visiting a country where it is not illegal, I am not breaking any law. I definately see where a dept. would not even ask if I was out of country while doing the drugs, and probably dq me right away...but if the situation was explained to them ahead of time, I don't understand why they would have any right to hold it against me...I do want to clarify that this is a theoretical situation that has got my brain scrambling for a good answer.

Comment

The agency that you are applying for isnt going to care whether you have a 'problem' with it or not......

Child Rape is legal in some countries.....ya think that MIGHT be a DQ here, whether its legal or not in East Trashistan?
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

You want to be a cop right? Why on earth would you smoke MJ when you are currently aspiring to be a police officer? Forget about the legality of it in a different country. Plain and simple, don't do it.

Comment

Oh come on I can't believe in this day and age you would have to ask that question. It don't matter where you smoke da weed...it's that you smoked da weed!!! Lay off the grass and save a brain cell.
              "You have the right to remain silent....so shut the **** UP!!!!"

"Is that Walter? He scares me....He's got gas!" The Dead Terrorist/ Jeff Dunham

Comment

he already said this is only a hypothetical question.

we've gone back an forth on this one, alot. also, purely hypothetically as my friends an i do use any drugs.

it is an interesting question. the way i understand it is: an agency does not simply have to rely on things being illegal to dq you. in VSA questionaire, a friend of mine was asked about what (if any) adult sites he visits on his own time. i personally considered this to be quite intrusive and inappropriate, but it shows that an agency WILL dq over what they consider deviance whether or not a crime has been committed.

another similiar question would be: will using Salvia Divinorum dq you? my guess is that it would. even though it has not been outlawed, it would be considered inappropriate behavior by most agencies (i assume). as would drinking a 5th of liquor daily, even off duty and while not operating a vehicle.

Comment

Many agencies ask the question of 'When was the last time you used marijuana or any other narcotic?' Later on we might ask where it occurred, but the question is when. If it happened recently, say less than three years, then it would be an auto DQ.

Comment

I was asked in my poly if I had ever committed an act anywhere that is illegal in the state of California. Not much wiggle room there.

Comment

thanks injunwil, this is not something i did, but something that got me thinking...I am suprised that I am the only one so far to think that it shouldn't matter if I was in a different country. I don't see how mj usage is any different ETHICALY than the use of alcohol...and such there should be no grounds for a dq, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by IL'sFuture View Post
                        thanks injunwil, this is not something i did, but something that got me thinking...I am suprised that I am the only one so far to think that it shouldn't matter if I was in a different country. I don't see how mj usage is any different ETHICALY than the use of alcohol...and such there should be no grounds for a dq, IMHO.
                        ETHICALLY, the main difference is marijuana is ILLEGAL, alcohol is not. And please don't go into the argument about alcohol killing more people, etc etc. It has no bearing on the question posed by LE agencies regarding ILLEGAL drug use.
                        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                          ETHICALLY, the main difference is marijuana is ILLEGAL, alcohol is not.
                          But then that naturally leads to ANOTHER question. If you go to many Arab countries (Saudi Arabia being one of them, I believe), alcohol is illegal. In fact it's VERY illegal -- I think they treat it roughly as we do heroin, maybe worse. So if you visit Saudi Arabia and find some underground location where you can drink, you are committing a felony in that other country. Yet as long as you're not regularly getting trashed, that might not be an issue in a BG when you come back here.

Meanwhile if you go to a typical coffee shop in, say, the Netherlands, you can smoke weed perfectly legally (and you might get stoned just by breathing the air). But we're saying that that perfectly legal activity, engaged in at a place where ordinary law-abiding people do it too and where it presumably would not be a DQ if you wanted to be an LEO over there, is a DQ here, even though you broke no law at the time you did it.

I do see some irony there somehow.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by IL'sFuture View Post
                            While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, it's the department's opinion that will matter in the hiring process.

Comment

As mentioned above, there are a lot of legal activities that will preclude you from being hired. They're looking for someone who is strong, moral, upright, honest, and who knows right from wrong.

Other 'legal' activities that will DQ you: bankruptcy, bad credit, excessive alcohol use, hanging out in certain strip clubs, hiring a hooker where it's legal...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12210 users online. 421 members and 11789 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X