300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is not impersonating an officer?

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/New-Mexico-Man-Paints-Car-Like-Police-Cruiser/1$40604

I read this from the front page of officer.com, I think it is rediculous that it is not considered impersonating a police officer. It doesn't matter what is intent was or is, I don't think this should be allowed. What is your take on this?

Take a look at this thread... LINK
    "Well I'd lock him up for what we know he did, and then throw in a few extra years for what he probably did." ~Hank Hill

"Why do you need to carry a gun? There aren't any bad people in this town..."

Comment

I think if I saw that car we would be having a talk.
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ten-32, If that car was in New York it would be on the back of a tow truck so fast it wouldn't be funny. We have a law that when any police, fire or ambulance is taken out of service and sold to the general public that ALL markings are to be removed prior to registration of the vehicle. The paint scheme can remain, but the marking MUST be removed.

j706, I agree, that dope and I would be talking, well at least I would be talking, he would be listening.

Comment

Originally posted by tactical208
          Ten-32, If that car was in New York it would be on the back of a tow truck so fast it wouldn't be funny. We have a law that when any police, fire or ambulance is taken out of service and sold to the general public that ALL markings are to be removed prior to registration of the vehicle. The paint scheme can remain, but the marking MUST be removed.
          Same law in IL.

Edit: In reference to the question of "Is it impersonating an officer?" the answer is no. Having a car like that does not automatically mean he is impersonating an officer. However, it is "Failure to Obliterate Police Markings."

Comment

In Indiana if he did not make statements/actions to cause a person to believe he was a police officer he would be OK. I.E. turn on the lights, activate a siren, motion someone to pull over, etc.

Now you better believe we would have a discussion about what is proper and the Vehicle and Driver would have a field contact done on them as a future investigative tool.

That car is unique enough that around here if he did something stupid he would be burned FAST.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

In Florida it would also be illegal because of the word "police" - if he took that single word off, the rest would be ok.

I can easilly see how another state might have a slight variation in their law that allows that. In Florida, case law states that someone wearing clothing with law enforcement insignia are not "impersonating" unless they take some action or make a statement that indicates they are law enforcement.

Wait until the first time someone pops a random shot at this guy while he's driving with his "spoiled son" down the road. He'll rip that crap off in a heartbeat.
              Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
              Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                In Indiana if he did not make statements/actions to cause a person to believe he was a police officer he would be OK. I.E. turn on the lights, activate a siren, motion someone to pull over, etc.

Now you better believe we would have a discussion about what is proper and the Vehicle and Driver would have a field contact done on them as a future investigative tool.

That car is unique enough that around here if he did something stupid he would be burned FAST.
                Yea I believe your correct on the statutes, but he would be getting stopped so often than he would soon decide he just didn't like driving the stupid thing.
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by tactical208 View Post

j706, I agree, that dope and I would be talking, well at least I would be talking, he would be listening.
                  Not sure why I was addressed in this post... I wasn't arguing one way or another; I just linked to an already-established thread...

"Well I'd lock him up for what we know he did, and then throw in a few extra years for what he probably did." ~Hank Hill

"Why do you need to carry a gun? There aren't any bad people in this town..."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5074 users online. 383 members and 4691 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X