K-9's biting officers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-9's biting officers?

Ok well I just watched this video from Brevard County. The K-9 almost bites two or three officers on this pursuit. Right about 3 minutes and 30 seconds to about the 4 minute mark.

How does the dog know who to bite in a situation like this? Is it just the commands from the handlers? How does he know when to pulling up when jumping up to an officer?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!
    Eo Na Toa, Eo Na Toa, E
    sigpic

Its not that the dog was bitting other officers. He was being a doof. Based on what limited info a flir video can give you, unless that were a brand new dog who just hasent learned the game yet, he'd be a total wash out in my agency. I wouldnt have em.

Normally even a new dog will be induced to bite during a chase bite. This dog didnt do much more than strip the guys cloths off. Not uncommon, but not what we want. I'd be willing to bet that this dog was just new, at least I hope for the officers case that this is true. If he wasnt, that handler is not safe as that K9 will NOT protect him.

Do police K9's bite officers? Yup, all the time. Usually its because they either got to close to the k9 during a apprehension, or during a chase they crossed paths and the k9s and the dog just decided, "Hey, hes runnin, he must be a bad guy too."

Handlers.....take your boys to roll calls and keep em acclimated to officers to avoid this problem.
    Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
    Thomas Jefferson

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

First let me say that was a very very poor example of a Police K9. I would look seriously at letting that dog continue in his current job. Ever hear don't run from a dog, alot of K9's will bite the first one they see running. The K9 officer knows how to deploy his dog to make sure he has locked on the target, once that dog locks on his target officers are safe. Our SOP is when we yell, STOP K9, K9, K9 if your running after the suspect, you STOP, and be still, if the fool is still running which he will be the dog will get him not the officers. If he is going to the wrong target thats why all police dogs are suppose to be able to do what's called a call off, the dog is told to stop chasing and return to handler, the handler then redirects the dog. With a well trained Police K9 a handler should be able to redirect multiple times. We work scenarios where I'm facing two suspects and the dog gets one of them, unseen to me or the dog the second comes out while the dog is working the first one over and starts to hit on me and assault me, I simply out my dog verbally and recall him verbally, that takes two words, as he is coming to me he will automatically apprehend the suspect attacking me if I'm being assaulted. If I then wanted to I could out him and send him back on the first suspect by pointing to the first one and giving him the bite command
      Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

In my area, there are 2 trainers that most of the local K9s come from. One trains very calm, amiable dogs that know who the good guys are, and are only vicious when they are given commands to be. The other place trains crazed monsters that are intensely loyal only to their handler, and will attack anyone, anywhere no matter what the situation is. I'd say when a K9 bites an officer, it's either accidental in the heat of the moment; or else you've got a hairy, fanged liability on your hands
        "He sprayed me in the face, then ran off!! I'm a victim!" -Guy with gold paint around his mouth in booking

Attention LEOs- join AttorneyCop.com

Comment

Thanks everybody!!! Be safe!!!!!!!!
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
          Eo Na Toa, Eo Na Toa, E
          sigpic

Comment

To the K9, the handler is top dog and everyone else is a target. If u stay close to the handler you will be ok, don't run after anyone if the dog is sent in. Listen to the handler.

Comment

We had a K9 accidently bite one of our officers in a scuffle... the dog was doing what he was trained to do.. he just picked the wrong guy. The officer didnt hear that the K9 was released, and had just tackled the subject.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                We had a K9 accidently bite one of our officers in a scuffle... the dog was doing what he was trained to do.. he just picked the wrong guy. The officer didnt hear that the K9 was released, and had just tackled the subject.

exactly and to the dog the officer's were the aggressors, the dogs are trained to cue on the most aggressive person or the aggressor, if the person is a silent aggressor, thats where the dogs follow the handlers direction (whole nuther subject) But if the dog sees an officer tackle a person, then to the dog the officer is the aggressor.
                Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post

Pardon my ignorance but, if they were wrestling on the ground, shouldn't the handler have recalled the dog? Did the handler just not get a chance to recall him before he was on top of the scuffle?
                  Last edited by Tarawa; 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM.
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                  Eo Na Toa, Eo Na Toa, E
                  sigpic

Comment

Thats what happened... The handler called out that he was releasing the dog. The officer did not hear, and at the time, had just jumped on the suspect... and the dog was already released.. the handler tried to recall the dog.
                    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                    that we are all that stands between
                    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by car2back View Post
                      or else you've got a hairy, fanged liability on your hands
                      Ours has bitten more officers than bad guys.
                      A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarawa View Post
                        Ok well I just watched this video from Brevard County. The K-9 almost bites two or three officers on this pursuit. Right about 3 minutes and 30 seconds to about the 4 minute mark.

How does the dog know who to bite in a situation like this? Is it just the commands from the handlers? How does he know when to pulling up when jumping up to an officer?
                        I used to work with a K-9 officer who had a dog that had bitten other cops. Although I never voiced it, had the dog ever even made an attempt to bite me he would've gotten the same .40 rounds that any other dog trying to do so would've gotten. My $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                          I used to work with a K-9 officer who had a dog that had bitten other cops. Although I never voiced it, had the dog ever even made an attempt to bite me he would've gotten the same .40 rounds that any other dog trying to do so would've gotten. My $0.02.
                          I hear that. When K9 showed up with the barking *** dog, I would just stand back....waaaaaaaaaay back beyond the handler and let him do his thing. One officer in particular alwyas has a habit of having a dog that barks for no ****ing reason, all day everyday. Anytime he keys up the mike, the dog is barking. Sitting on the side of the road, the dog is barking. Couldnt be me.....

Comment

In a neighboring jurisdiction to where I used to work, there was a particularly nasty K-9. I spoke fairly often with his handler, who told me that the dog often nipped at him. He said he'd rather put up with it rather than have a dog that was overly passive.

This dog ended up attacking his handler on a traffic stop. It tore up his left arm pretty badly. Afterwards, I spoke to the handler who said that he almost shot his own dog as it mauled him.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                              No. You wouldnt. (No sarcasm is intended or implied)
                              Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
                              Thomas Jefferson

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10375 users online. 378 members and 9997 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X