300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy question PA

I know this question has probably been asked a 100 times, but here it goes. I need some professional advice on what to do next. I am about to finish up my 4 year crim Justice degree, I am going to be 22 at the time of this. I was looking into Act120 training because this is required to get a municipal job in PA. The academy that offers this starts in July and goes full time till about December. I would not be able to work regularly during the academy but I need this training to get a job. I am willing to dip into my savings to pay the bills and will be ok as far as the bills and money are concerned. Part-time academy is still in question, however, I do not want to be where I am now in 2 years. I say 2 years because there are no part-time academies in my area starting up until January.

My main question, is the Act120 worth it? And with a 4 year degree and Act120, would my application standout from other applicants?

There are a lot of departments in PA that only accept Act 120 certified officers because PA has an overly large amount of "small" departments that do not have or will not foot the bill for the academy. I put myself through then was paid for it by my department later. Unless you plan on going to phila or some other dept. that has there own academy I would say dip into your savings and go to the academy and start applying while you are in there.
    "WATCH YOUR SIX"

Comment

Sadly, there are a lot of part-time officers in PA looking for jobs, so you'll have lots of competition.
      Steve

Comment

What about a Federal or State job? I heard the state was looking for Parole Officers and were taking 4 year CJ degrees. PSP is picking people up with just degrees, at least I know a couple who got in. As for Federal theres always places to go if your willing to move. Philly was looking for CBP Officers last time I checked.

http://www.scsc.state.pa.us/scsc/site/default.asp
        Commonwealth Civil Service Website

http://www.usajobs.com/
        Federal OPM Website
        (Some agencies don't advertise here though)

Comment

ill give them a look, I have been trying to get into the PSP but I have a hard time getting by the oral interview, it kills me everytime. I dont mind moving, Im young but I want a guaranteed job before I move. Ill look into those sights. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rhoads605 View Post
            There are a lot of departments in PA that only accept Act 120 certified officers because PA has an overly large amount of "small" departments that do not have or will not foot the bill for the academy. I put myself through then was paid for it by my department later. Unless you plan on going to phila or some other dept. that has there own academy I would say dip into your savings and go to the academy and start applying while you are in there.
            Are you saying you paid your way through, got hired and then a PD paid you back (via a lump sum) 6 months worth of salary pay for the time you were in the academy even though you were not hired by the Dept while in the academy??? If so what PD was that?
            sigpic

Comment

There are many civil service Depts. in PA that will pay your way through the academy if they hire you. You can go this route or go preservice (pay your own way).

Act 120 is worth it depending upon where you want to work. Civil Service PD's must still fulfill the civil service requirements therefor having your Act 120 technically wont do anything for you but let the higher ups now you are serious about a being the 50. Now if you plan on going somewhere non-civil service where Act 120 may be required the benefit is obvious.
              sigpic

Comment

I put myself through Act 120 too, and was lucky to get hired full-time after working part-time for awhile.

I've never heard of a dept paying anyone back for putting themselve through the academy.
                Steve

Comment

Pennsylvania's academy system is very frustrating. I got lucky to get picked up by a Federal Agency but now I have to go through hoops if I want to leave for a new job in my area. My recomendation is if you want to be a Municipal Officer and you can't find any local, county, state, or federal jobs in your area... Move to Florida, most people get a good start to their career down there. If you work 2 years full time as a police officer and went through a POST certified academy.. you can always move back and attempt a waiver if a PD promises to hire you. (Of course.. find a PD wanting to do that.)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9175 users online. 295 members and 8880 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X