Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trooper stephen murray mean anything to you?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trooper stephen murray mean anything to you?

Hi all,

I'm a member on a car forum when a random post was put up about "all officers should be like this one"

here is the provided link.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=JRRTlrfTw0s

As everyone started posting about how that officer kept his cool, a few of the forum members who are LEO's said that most officers certainly SHOULD NOT be like the officer in the video. They won't give full details because they don't want the thread to turn into a cop hating thread. But from watching the video you can see the officer seems to keep his cool....but has a bit of a sarcastic personality going. Also, you can notice that only the 2nd half of the traffic stop is being shown.

so my question is, can anyone fill me in on this trooper "Stephen Murray" of Lincoln Maine on what really happened with this traffic stop and why this story is very twisted?

thanks. :-)

michael

I love this video, its a classic.

To answer your question, it got the job done, didn't it? Some police can take screaming and yelling for entire periods of time, and well, I guess some can't. I can tell you though that you can't identify one rude comment come out from that trooper's mouth. So when joe blow goes to complain about how rude an officer was to him, where's his evidence.

"Kill them with kindness". Sometimes this is even better then arguing with a perp.

Comment

I guess you could say the story's twisted because there are two points of view...

One bunch of people like the video and the trooper because he just stands there and takes the guy yelling, saying 'sign here - here's the court, here's the fine, $200, etc. etc." When the dude flips out and tears up the ticket, he tells him 'you forgot to pick up a piece' and so on...

The other bunch of people think that there's no reason to write a ticket for that guy, when the fine amount is obviously such a big deal and he's that worked up about it... there are ways to solve problems/correct minor issues at the lowest level. You probably could have told that guy the amount of the fine and he would have wigged out a little less.

I don't write too many tickets myself, and for what it's worth, I identify a little bit with the working stiff, to whom $200 is a good amount of money.

Comment

I thought it was funny, but I also thought the trooper was baiting the heck out of the guy. You can retain your cool and still be a jerk...or unprofessional....or a pain in your bosses' *** when the complaint comes....I thought I heard somewhere that the trooper was reprimanded for this stop? Maybe someone from Maine S.P. will clarify.

I don't write too many tickets myself, and for what it's worth, I identify a little bit with the working stiff, to whom $200 is a good amount of money.
        Plus, I believe this video has been around for almost 20 years. Way longer than UTube...so his $200.00 is more like $400.00 in today's dollars...and that trooper is probably retired by now...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth View Post
          I thought it was funny, but I also thought the trooper was baiting the heck out of the guy. You can retain your cool and still be a jerk...or unprofessional....or a pain in your bosses' *** when the complaint comes....I thought I heard somewhere that the trooper was reprimanded for this stop? Maybe someone from Maine S.P. will clarify.

Plus, I believe this video has been around for almost 20 years. Way longer than UTube...so his $200.00 is more like $400.00 in today's dollars...and that trooper is probably retired by now...
          I swear I read somewhere that the trooper was fired a short time later?

Comment

I saw a brief interview with him a few months back on one of those "amazing video" type shows. He never said anything about repercussions or a complaint resulting from the stop.

He just talked about the importance of keeping your cool and continuing to watch for danger signals instead of getting wrapped up in the argument and losing awareness.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
              I swear I read somewhere that the trooper was fired a short time later?
              that's what i heard too but after searching google i couldn't find anything. There was more to this video that happened in the first half of the traffic stop that got this guy fired/in some kind of trouble... I'm hoping one of you officers on this forum knows what happened? It's got me really curious.

Comment

He just talked about the importance of keeping your cool and continuing to watch for danger signals instead of getting wrapped up in the argument and losing awareness.
                And as I recall, that's all he did. I've had guys go off like that over the simplest of things, like radar detectors with no points and only a $30 or $40 fine. Write them a speeding ticket or reckless driving ticket and all is smooth, get into something like that they would just explode sometimes.

Reach a certain point, and I'm not going to say anything extra. I also recall that at one time early in my career, my department also only wanted you to tell a violator to contact the court for the fine amounts, etc and most of us likewise, would not go into fine amounts, merely tell a person to contact the court at the number or address located on the summons.

SOP.
                "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

and most of us likewise, would not go into fine amounts, merely tell a person to contact the court at the number or address located on the summons.

I suppose you weren't allowed to say "If you have to ask, you can't afford it?"

Comment

I was told by one of our instructors at the academy that the trooper did not have his camera on during the first half of the stop because he was trying to get the driver mad and riled up. He did this because his captain had been on him for the way he acted with other motorists and the complaints he had received. He then turns it on in the second half and you all see what happens. At the very end of the video you can hear the trooper say, something along the lines of lets see if you like how I handled that captain. I thought it was funny until I heard that.
                    Wandering the world aimleesly since 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott677 View Post
                      I was told by one of our instructors at the academy that the trooper did not have his camera on during the first half of the stop because he was trying to get the driver mad and riled up. He did this because his captain had been on him for the way he acted with other motorists and the complaints he had received. He then turns it on in the second half and you all see what happens. At the very end of the video you can hear the trooper say, something along the lines of lets see if you like how I handled that captain. I thought it was funny until I heard that.
                      i knew there was more to it! Can any other officers/deputies/troopers chime in and confirm this?

Comment

We've observed this video in training. It is my understanding that the trooper did have his camera off for the first part of the traffic stop. After antagonizing the motorist the trooper then turned on the camera for the second part of the stop.

The trooper was fired within several months.

Comment

Originally posted by stylett9 View Post
                          that's what i heard too but after searching google i couldn't find anything. There was more to this video that happened in the first half of the traffic stop that got this guy fired/in some kind of trouble... I'm hoping one of you officers on this forum knows what happened? It's got me really curious.
                          If I remember right they told us in the academy he was fired, but not for this stop. They said it had something to do with a report he wrote or something to that nature. They had also made mention about his camera being off at the start of the stop. They went on to tell us no matter how funny the video seems we should be conducting our stops like this.
                          Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

http://hottcops.blogspot.com/search/...orst%20drivers

This site has some screenshots of the interview I was talking about, but I can't find the video or a transcript anywhere.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Nothing confirmed here but I had heard that the trooper was already being investigated for something else and he stayed real cool in this stop because he thought it was IA setting him up. Version I heard had nothing unusual occuring in the begining of the stop, he just turned on the camera as the guy started acting up.
                              There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men. - Edmund Burke

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6316 users online. 262 members and 6054 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X