300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful career in law enforcement?

What tips do you have for someone who wants a long,successful, and healthy career in law enforcement?

Thank You!
    sigpic

Tips that were given to me were to stay in shape; pay attention in the academy, and the learning never stops from there; never let things become routine; strive to always be professional; and ALWAYS be honest, even when you screw up.
    "He sprayed me in the face, then ran off!! I'm a victim!" -Guy with gold paint around his mouth in booking

Attention LEOs- join AttorneyCop.com

Comment

For the first two years, keep your head down and your mouth shut. The rest will come to you.
      If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Comment

How to be a Successful PoPo
        1. Never allow your FTO or senior officers to buy coffee. Ever.
        2. Never speak or offer your opinion until on the job at least two years.
        3. Allow just a smuge of dirt on your shoes - so it looks like you're actually working from time to time.
        4. Keep your badge so shiny it hurts to look at it.
        5. Polish your leather so much it squeeks when you move.
        6. Pay homage and deference to the older veterans - especially the uniformed street cops. They've forgotten more battles than you have seen yet.
        7. Know that your dispatcher really doesn't need your abusive tone - he / she can save your life just as effectively as a cop standing next to you.
        8. Wear you vest without exception when in uniform for any reason.
        9. Practice shooting, drawing and handling of your weapons (all of them) relentlessly. Master the art of becoming ruthless, cold, deadly and enraged; while remaining calm and under control.
        10. The job is number 4 on your priorities. Faith is #1, family is #2, your Harley is #3.
        11. Never kiss ***, save your own *** or sell out a partner. Don't lie for anyone; including yourself. Not even a liar, respects a liar.
        12. Hug and zerbert your kids at every possible opportunity. It may have to last them a lifetime.
        13. Conduct yourself on the job in way which would always make them proud of you. Treat contacts how you would want your own family treated.
        14. Have fun - and never forget how it felt on day one. Sometimes, that will be very, very hard to do.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Trooper, all good things, but you forgot to include what you posted looooong ago for the "Cliff Notes" of Cop101. I still have it, gave it to an FTO on my Dept. & she STILL hands it out to her rookies.

Comment

Keep balance in your life. That means have friends outside of law enforcement; have a hobby; keep from becoming hyper-alert; eat well; live well; act as if every action will end up on page one, and you will be proud of it; and most important:
            Every day could be your last day - so love your family as if it CAN happen to you. Don't have any regrets!
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
              Trooper, all good things, but you forgot to include what you posted looooong ago for the "Cliff Notes" of Cop101. I still have it, gave it to an FTO on my Dept. & she STILL hands it out to her rookies.
              Yeah, that was a few posts ago. That was actually a chapter from my book, "The Badge."

Some got sore at me for posting it if you can believe it. They said I was promoting my book sales. I figured I'd better not do it again.

Unreal.
              The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                Yeah, that was a few posts ago. That was actually a chapter from my book, "The Badge."

Some got sore at me for posting it if you can believe it. They said I was promoting my book sales. I figured I'd better not do it again.

Unreal.
                Do it again, I would like to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by txcdh View Post
                  Do it again, I would like to read it.
                  Yeah 1042 Trooper post it if anyone dosen't like it they can go to another thread. Easy as pie
                  sigpic

Comment

If not here, then perhaps you could make it into a pdf file (I can help you with that if needed) and add it to your site as a teaser for your books??

I confess, this is merely the best effort of a very poor, very green rookie to get a look at this document. I even searched for the previous post, and only found what I assume are edited posts....

If not.... well, I'll just have to add to the list of books I want for Christmas!

I have to go re-read the unwritten rules rookies should know again!
                    Me, to a man his forties I had just observed exit a luxury car and begin shouting at a small teen aged driver of the old beat up car in front of him: "Get back in your car! Who do you think you are?! (Insert general rant/rave about road rage here)"

Man, blurting out (in a mild tone): "I'm his dad."
                    Me: "Oh. Well then, carry on!

Comment

-Stay in shape. No matter what is going on, you have 15 minutes a day to work out.
                      -Always use good, sound tactics and safety practices.
                      -Trust no one you contact until there is good reason to.
                      -Always conduct yourself as if you are being videotaped.
                      -Follow policy to the letter.
                      -Always, always tell the truth.
                      -Don't get thinking that you are an avenging crusader for justice and the right way of life.
                      -You are a law enforcement officer, not a Marine.
                      -If you don't understand why something is done a certain way, find out why. Once you understand why something is done, then you are in a better position to either accept it as valid or work to change it.
                      -Buy the drinks for your FTO and the rest of the shift on the day you complete field training.
                      -Bring doughnuts on your birthday.
                      -DO NOT CHEAT ON YOUR SPOUSE. NEVER!
                      -If you aren't sure, ask your sergeant. That's why he gets the big bucks.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4242 users online. 235 members and 4007 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X