300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disarmed at speeding stop

I just wanted to get some opinions from officers as to my handling of this situation...

I was driving too fast on the way to work this morning, and it turns out I was driving a little more "too fast" than the guy next to me, and was pulled over for a speeding ticket. Alabama does not require me to alert an officer to my having a firearm, but the last thing I wanted was to spook him should the grip of my pistol show unintentionally. I also have a few bumper stickers such as "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun," so I figured it would be best to hand him my concealed carry permit along with my license and insurance.

I was a little surprised when he asked me to remove the pistol from its holster and hand it to him while he went to write the ticket. Obviously I would never argue, but being someone that has a lot of good friends working behind a badge, it wasn't the reaction I've come to expect. I've always figured that the more time the gun spends in leather, the less chance there is for something to go wrong.

What really surprised me is that when he returned my pistol at the end of the stop, he told me that he would have preferred that I had not told him I was armed, because it would have saved him the hassle.

As officers, what is your preferred course of action for CCW permit holders in a situation like this?
    I'd rather not know
    3.57%
    I'd rather know, but wouldn't be concerned about a ccw holder.
    69.05%
    I would ask the violator to hand the gun to me through the window.
    14.29%
    I would remove the violator from the car at gunpoint, disarm, and cuff.
    13.10%
    "I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy..."

Huckabee '08!!!sigpic

You did the right thing. Allow the officer to make the decision whether or not to disarm you. Most states require that you inform them you are carrying.
    If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Comment

Wouldn't take it at gun point, but your hand wouldn't have touched it until I returned it unloaded...

Comment

People around here get all crazy about this issue. It's not like I've never seen gun before and I know if you have a CCW permit, it's legal. Everyone around here carries guns for heaven's sake! I stopped a guy the other day w/ an old address from "the hood" after I had ran him through dispatch. She said he has a valid CCW permit. I told him anyone who has a VALID CCW permit from that area I respect that, just tell the officer, "FYI I have a valid CCW permit and a piece on me." Then let the officer decide. As for "hand me your gun through the window?!?!?!?" WOW! Yeah, I'm gonna let someone I just stopped HOLD a loaded gun in their hands and muzzle fu*& me as they give it to me....... It would be nice to know incase the door opens while you're writing the ticket to draw down on that person because they're armed. Explain it later to them why. On a ped check, we frisk and WE take the gun out of their holster, unload it, and give it back to them unloaded period! Some tactics just make me wonder what other's are thinking sometimes. Point being, if you have a gun on you in your car w/ a valid CCW, fine, leave your hands on the wheel while I check your name. On the street, little more freedom for someone to "do as they please" so it's mine for the duration of the contact. "Control the situation, don't let the situation control you!"

Comment

I guess that is what surprised me, is that his action required me to handle the gun, loaded, and unholstered. Frankly, I didn't feel comfortable doing so, and would have preferred that he removed it from the holster himself if he felt inclined to take it for his own comfort. My goal, thinking as a former police applicant and friend of several officers, was to make him feel as safe as possible. Even being given the opportunity to unload and clear pointed at my floorboard would have made me more comfortable.

I suppose my best course of action would be to continue my policy of alerting the officer up front that I'm "packing," based on what I'm seeing here.
          "I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy..."

Huckabee '08!!!sigpic

Comment

A rookie highway patrolman wanted my Sgt. to "hand" him his duty weapon which he had under his seat on a peaceful journey once. My Searge's theory was, "I'm not touching my gun to have you freak out on me and you shoot me and you get justified in it." You hand your gun to a cop and he shoots you he can easily articulate you "pointed" it at him and kill you for it. And he'll get a medal for it too....... To end the story, my Sgt. told the rookie, "There's no way in hell I'm touching my gun, take me out of the car and you can get it." I never thought of that before he told me his story. You never know how jumpy the cop will be though so I'd kindly inform the officer next time that he knows where it is then go from there.

Comment

A co-worker and fellow officer of mine was stopped a few years ago in the Carolinas. He said when the trooper walked up he informed the trooper he was a police officer and was armed. The trooper asked him which side his weapon was on. When he replied "right side" the trooper pinned my co-workers head to the steering wheel with his arm, reached around him and disarmed him. He unloaded the weapon, placed it on the roof of my co-workers car, then inspected his creds. The trooper came back, issued the citation, gave him his creds, and advised him not to pick up the weapon until he (the trooper) was long gone.

My co-worker is a very quiet and humble guy. If the story is as he tells it, I would have had words with the watch commander at that barrack.
              sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

I can't see disarming a citizen who tells me he is (legally) carrying a firearm and he is being stopped for a mere traffic infraction. If the driver was intoxicated or combative, well that's another story.
                I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I've handled it a variety of ways. What I'm saying is that it just depends.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Just like Lean G said, I handle situations like this in a variety of ways. I can't see disarming another badge, however, unless I'm investigating a lot more than a traffic violation.

Comment

You definately did the right thing by informing them. When I have been stopped, windows go down (tint), interior light goes on, and my hands are on the top of the steering wheel. When the officer asks me for my license and registration, I kindly tell them that before I reach for anything, I am am off-duty and I am armed. That last thing I want is for an uninformed officer to see my weapon or a print in my shirt (sometimes shows with my seatbelt on).

Best policy is to inform them you are armed and then ask the officer what they would like for you to do....they will do exactly what makes them comfortable during the stop.

Comment

It's not a law here, either.

If it's not the law, I wouldn't inform him. But many states have a CCW on the info when they run the tag. We don't, apparently Alabama doesn't.

I would always keep my hands in clear view, however. I expect everyone to be armed. So long as they're obeying the law (not talking about speeding) I pretty much let them alone.
                        "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Although not a law in TN, I will know as soon as I run the DL. Once I found out a weapon is in the vehicle, I probably won't be too happy that you did not display your CCW permit, nor informed me about the weapon during first contact. If I decide to hold onto the weapon, I will find out where it is and retrieve it on my own.

My opinion, if CCW holders are up front about their permit and the fact that the weapon is in the vehicle, you will normally not catch any grief from me. It is not something I take lightly. One should be proud to be a permit holder, and failing to tell an officer on a traffic stop gets me wondering why they don't want to share the information.
                          I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by ujocka View Post
                            A co-worker and fellow officer of mine was stopped a few years ago in the Carolinas. He said when the trooper walked up he informed the trooper he was a police officer and was armed. The trooper asked him which side his weapon was on. When he replied "right side" the trooper pinned my co-workers head to the steering wheel with his arm, reached around him and disarmed him. He unloaded the weapon, placed it on the roof of my co-workers car, then inspected his creds. The trooper came back, issued the citation, gave him his creds, and advised him not to pick up the weapon until he (the trooper) was long gone.

My co-worker is a very quiet and humble guy. If the story is as he tells it, I would have had words with the watch commander at that barrack.
                            That is horrible

Comment

If it was me that stopped you, you are not touching anything.. Ill "relieve" you of the weapon and when Im done you will get it back unloaded.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3454 users online. 210 members and 3244 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X