Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot myself in the foot(not literally)

I would like some advice on a possible way to get hired after i basically screwed myself at the worst possible time in my life. I am ACT 120 certified in PA, certified to be a police officer. About a month before i graduated and a month before i turned 21 i was pulled over for failure to obey traffic control a device(i honestly had no idea the "no left turn" sign was there) and I had some unopened alcohol in my car. I received a citation for both offenses. I was so stressed out about getting the underage citation taken down to a disorderly conduct that I forgot about the moving violation. I did not update my address at the DMV and by the time I got around to it they told me my license was suspended. I immediately went through the proper channels and had my license reinstated. I graduated with top honors in my class and received a scholarship from the academy to further my education. On top of that the day of graduation I received a call from a local chief offering me a job because a couple instructors referred me for the job when asked who he should call. I did not get the job i was referred for and was also turned down for 2 other jobs i was at the top of a civil service list for because I was still going to court. It has been a year and I am currently working an armed security job and I constantly am asked by friends I graduated the academy with why I don't have a job yet, I am the last one not to get hired. I'm too embarrassed to tell them why. I have tried to make myself a more attractive candidate by being certified in numerous things OCAT, MOAB, PATH, and i have gotten my EMT cert. This has been the most stressful year of my life and I realize that everything that has happened is my fault and I am the only person to blame. My question is how much will this effect me going forward and how long do you think it will take me to obtain a position in law enforcement?

Originally posted by unsworninpa104 View Post
    I would like some advice on a possible way to get hired after i basically screwed myself at the worst possible time in my life. I am ACT 120 certified in PA, certified to be a police officer. About a month before i graduated and a month before i turned 21 i was pulled over for failure to obey traffic control a device(i honestly had no idea the "no left turn" sign was there) and I had some unopened alcohol in my car. I received a citation for both offenses. I was so stressed out about getting the underage citation taken down to a disorderly conduct that I forgot about the moving violation. I did not update my address at the DMV and by the time I got around to it they told me my license was suspended. I immediately went through the proper channels and had my license reinstated. I graduated with top honors in my class and received a scholarship from the academy to further my education. On top of that the day of graduation I received a call from a local chief offering me a job because a couple instructors referred me for the job when asked who he should call. I did not get the job i was referred for and was also turned down for 2 other jobs i was at the top of a civil service list for because I was still going to court. It has been a year and I am currently working an armed security job and I constantly am asked by friends I graduated the academy with why I don't have a job yet, I am the last one not to get hired. I'm too embarrassed to tell them why. I have tried to make myself a more attractive candidate by being certified in numerous things OCAT, MOAB, PATH, and i have gotten my EMT cert. This has been the most stressful year of my life and I realize that everything that has happened is my fault and I am the only person to blame. My question is how much will this effect me going forward and how long do you think it will take me to obtain a position in law enforcement?

If that is your only blemish on your record, you should eventually get hired by someone. You will more than likely need to put some time (a few years)between the incident and getting taken seriously for hire at most agencies. Learn from your mistake and continue to build your resume with education and training opportunities.
    sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

that's what I thought. It is just really hard to go from the top of the class with a job offer to having to wait years to get a job.

I think I will take my chances with a few small departments in my area and see what happens.

Also, I am looking into getting it expunged from my record. I hope it works out soon.
      Last edited by unsworninpa104; 02-20-2008, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Getting things expunged will not help your case any. You still must disclose it on background questionaires, and the poly will catch it if you don't disclose it.

Comment

I would never with hold anything from a potential employer. I would let them know it happened and tell them that it was expunged. If i do this it's just a little better than before, not much, but still better.

Comment

I think your problem is not necessarly the offense(s) you were charged with, but the irresponsibility in underage possession of alcohol while in the academy, and letting it get to the point that suspended your license. Please don't take this as an insult - you have to admit getting your license suspended makes you look very irresponsible, despit your academic status.

I agree with ujocka - give it some time and have a perfect record of very responsible behavior and good work reviews at your current employer. Don't change jobs alot either - build up a history of stability. Take as much POST certified training as you can (if you can in your state without being sworn).

Good luck - and don't let anyone give you grief about being a security guard. I know many very professional career security guards that I would trust over some of the cops out there I know. Keep your crap polished, shirt and pants pressed and dry-cleaned, and be proud while holding your head up high.

With that attitude and performance, you will be a good find for any law enforcement agency in a few years.
            Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
            sigpic

Comment

I have had over a year to think it over. I have lost a lot of sleep over it and know exactly how this looks.

Comment

Originally posted by unsworninpa104 View Post
                I have had over a year to think it over. I have lost a lot of sleep over it and know exactly how this looks.
                You know... what's done is done. It is not healthy to keep losing sleep over something that happened a year ago. Also - being too hard on yourself can lead to self-esteem issues that can be detected and cause you problems during a LE interview. You want to be seen by a LE agency as professional that is proud of their accomplishments, learned and moved on from their mistakes, and has a positive view of their own self-worth.

Concentrate on the fact it was a learning experience that has made you a more responsible person, and allowed you to gain experience in another related field that you may not have othewise learned from.

Gee.. that sounds like a good line to use in an interview doesn't it...
                Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
                sigpic

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6549 users online. 340 members and 6209 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X