300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Knives

I have a question, probably mostly suited to a Colorado officer. I have a CCW permit in Colorado and carry a Colt CCO.

Recently, I have come across a pocket knife that I'm interested in. It's got a 3-inch blade, but the problem is... it's an automatic knife (read: switchblade) which is illegal in Colorado. We're not talking some cheap piece of junk knife, this is a $400, custom made work of art.

A CCW in Colorado covers *only* a handgun, and not any other type of concealed weapon.

Here's where my (perhaps stupid) question comes in. Is a policeman *in general* going to care about this? Or are they going to look the other way since the thing obviously isn't junk, I'm obviously not a thug (clean cut, suits ties) and I'm carrying a permitted CCW? I clearly don't represent the "target audience" of the somewhat-antiquated law, which was in response to gang members, methinks.

I kind of suspect the general answer is going to be "don't break the law"... but it breaks my heart that I can't buy this beauty and it seems absurd that I'm okay carrying a .45 IWB, but can't be trusted with a pocket knife.

carry it all u want no one should care

Comment

It is really going to depend on the officer. Why carry a switchblade when you can carry a gun?

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        It is really going to depend on the officer. Why carry a switchblade when you can carry a gun?
        It's not even a personal defense issue. To be honest, it's just a nice piece of work (maple burl handles and such) and it would likely become my fishing knife. I'd want it even if it were manual.

There's a federal exemption for one-armed-men, but I don't want it THAT bad. After thinking some more...Odds are I'm going to pass it up... I don't want to put my CCW at risk for a pocket knife.

Comment

IT's part of our standard traning in MO to carry a knife in a pocket for situations when you need them. I carry a knife on me all the time.

Joe is right though, the officer is going to make the determination. In Missouri it's against the rules, but in all honesty the knife may just be confiscated (which is legal) and some officer might be walking around with it later *Shrug*
          Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Originally posted by BlackPR View Post
            It's not even a personal defense issue. To be honest, it's just a nice piece of work (maple burl handles and such) and it would likely become my fishing knife. I'd want it even if it were manual.

There's a federal exemption for one-armed-men, but I don't want it THAT bad. After thinking some more...Odds are I'm going to pass it up... I don't want to put my CCW at risk for a pocket knife.
            Ahh, someone that is actually going to prioritize. Well, the arm issue and the ccw over a knife.

I agree with the decision BlackPR. It will keep you out of trouble and you will be able to use the money to buy another gun.

Comment

You need to check your states penal law. In New York Switchblades are illegal as a deadly weapon but there is an exemption i.e. 265.20 sub F6 which states:
              Possession of a switchblade for use while hunting, trapping or fishing by a person carrying a valid license issued to him blah blah......

Your state may have the same exemption.
              Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
              Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

It sounds like you've done the research and it's illegal...

You can carry it and take your chances, but you are breaking the law.

No different than if someone asked if they can go 10 mph over the speed limit. Some officers will care, some wont.

In my state it's a per se dangerous weapon, and possession is a felony.

(I know it's not the answer you want... but I get the feeling it's the answer you knew you'd get)

-Zack

Comment

I've charged a guy with it, but he also had a nice bag of cocaine to go along with it. I was in the market for a new knife not too long ago, and I actually was thinking about buying an automatic one, mainly just because I can. After tossing it around, I ended up buying one that was about $100 cheaper that isn't "technically" automatic. It's this one...

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php...empage&xid=711

It's really stupid because it's damn near like an automatic, but it's not...so they're legal. I would go that route, number one they're cheaper, two it's legal for you to carry...go check some out.
                  It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Comment

If anyones curious (since there IS a Law Enforcement Exemption for Automatics) this is very similar to what I was looking at... nearly identical, only with Maple Burl inlay instead of Ironwood:

http://protechknives.com/knives/medi...iron-large.jpg

msrp is $700. That's why I was saying obviously not "street junk".

Comment

That's almost too purty to be a daily carry knife.........
                      Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                      --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Originally posted by Ten10 View Post
                        I've charged a guy with it, but he also had a nice bag of cocaine to go along with it. I was in the market for a new knife not too long ago, and I actually was thinking about buying an automatic one, mainly just because I can. After tossing it around, I ended up buying one that was about $100 cheaper that isn't "technically" automatic. It's this one...

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php...empage&xid=711

It's really stupid because it's damn near like an automatic, but it's not...so they're legal. I would go that route, number one they're cheaper, two it's legal for you to carry...go check some out.

Love that knife. It's what I carry, and it's by far the best pocket knife I've ever owned.

Comment

If you have an auto knife and you aren't LE or one of the other exempt groups you will probably get charged if caught. Even if it gets dismissed in court you will probably lose the knife. They can't give it back because its illegal. I agree its a weird relic but its still on the books. I have heard butterfly knives may have been changed. Looks like a new law was passed a while back i just need to take a look at it and see what changed.
                          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Illegal in TN to possess and will probably get you arrested. It is an officer discretion issue, but I would not risk the knife or my clean record on it.
                            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Im not an officer, but instead of starting a new thread, Ill ask in here.

Would this be considered a switch-blade or illegal?

Video of it opening
                              "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
                              Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
                              Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4324 users online. 244 members and 4080 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X