300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car and troubles with police.

Hello all. I live in Canada and I know this is an American based site but I hope you could give me some information and insight as to how I could solve a problem.I own a modified Skyline GTR-32 in Canada. Not flashy, but it has over 600 Wheel Horse Power. Unfortunately I find myself completely harassed by the police since I made my purchase of the vehicle, mostly because of the fact that it is right-hand drive.

I find myself being harassed in the way that in a single month, I am usually stopped around seven times without a traffic violation. I am told my car is illegal,my car is unsafe and not allowed on the road, etc etc,and I am rudely responded to when I offer my proof of ownership, my import papers,emissions test papers,and my Department of Transportation inspection pass papers, and most of the time, im still told that my car will be towed. They then go back to their cars, come back, and then tell me to take my car home and stop driving it. I am also told to go to the side of the road when I go through alcoholride-check programs and told the same thing.

I was also issued a ticket for driving without a Catalytic converter, which I in fact had, and have never even in the history of my vehicle removed. They simply assumed I had removed mine. It was thrown out in court.Last week I was pulled over because my blow off valve could " disrupt" traffic. Kids blaring their stereo and 5'' mufflers are allowed, but I can't keep my blow off valve? Have police ever heard of a truck with air brakes?

I am one of the rare few individuals who chooses to take his car to the track if he wants to race, and I also find myself being followed CONSTANTLY by police hoping to catch me speeding. I am followed whenever a police officer sees me, although this doesn't bother me as much as being pulled over all the time. Finally, I get encouraged to race by police. It isn't too difficult to recognize an unmarked Chevy Impala or Charger with a huge set of lights on the dash, and occasionally I come up to lights with them, they rev up trying to encourage me to burn-out or go flying off the line. Tee other night on the 401 major Canadian highway I was edged on to race by an unmarked Impala, going upwards of 150KMS which I saw pull over another vehicle about 10 minutes later.

Finally I was wondering how I should respond when a police officer tells me to open my hood. I don't know what he expects to find under it besides my engine, but am I obligated to allow this guy to go routing around a $40,000 engine? I was under the impression from friends who own similar cars that they required a special permit and a licensed inspector to examine the vehicle.

I understand when an officer sees a modified car they could follow it because many speed accidents are caused by these people, but is there anything that I can do to stop this? Is there someone I can take this issue up with? I contacted the Department of Transportation and they said they are sorry but the police aren't familiar with these vehicles and thats likely the reason, although there are now many in Canada. I know owning a car like I do I should be understanding, but this is too much.
    Last edited by ZZL; 02-09-2008, 09:22 PM.

Originally posted by Blackavar
    Shens!
    No shenanigans my friend. This has happened to me late at night on my way home from work a few times now.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackavar
      You sound like a nice guy and appear to be very intelligent. I am not trying to be difficult or insulting. However, I can not believe that everytime you are next to a police car at the light they attempt to race you. Sorry.
      Sorry... it does sound when I posted it like they do this at every light and they do not. They sometimes do this at night when I assume they think that street-racers and teenagers go out to wreck havoc. This has happened to me a few times, but ALWAYS at night and when theres a straightaway. And I do know for a FACT that they are police officers.

Comment

Z, I understand. Being a gearhead myself my initial response is to shrug it off and just enjoy the car. I have no idea what your car is, or what it looks like but the issue, may be, errrr, you..
        Years ago, before I became a police officer, I had a '67 vette and was always getting pulled over. One day I got stopped 7 times but never ticketed. Finally at the 7th stop I asked the officer what the deal was. He said: " Honestly? You look like someone that would steal one of these things!"
        The fact is if the officer can articulate his reasonable suspicion for stopping you when asked by his superiors nothing will happen to him. My question here is, what are you doing & where are you going that you garner such attention? I understand being followed to or from a track, but simply cruising? I have friends in the RCMP and they all seem pretty reasonable albeit more conservative than I. If it were me I'd try a different approach and when asked actually go into detail about how you got the car, what it is, and although you like it tell them you can't understand their excessive concern over the car since it was already approved for export, inspected registered for your province.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
          Z, I understand. Being a gearhead myself my initial response is to shrug it off and just enjoy the car. I have no idea what your car is, or what it looks like but the issue, may be, errrr, you..
          Years ago, before I became a police officer, I had a '67 vette and was always getting pulled over. One day I got stopped 7 times but never ticketed. Finally at the 7th stop I asked the officer what the deal was. He said: " Honestly? You look like someone that would steal one of these things!"
          The fact is if the officer can articulate his reasonable suspicion for stopping you when asked by his superiors nothing will happen to him. My question here is, what are you doing & where are you going that you garner such attention? I understand being followed to or from a track, but simply cruising? I have friends in the RCMP and they all seem pretty reasonable albeit more conservative than I. If it were me I'd try a different approach and when asked actually go into detail about how you got the car, what it is, and although you like it tell them you can't understand their excessive concern over the car since it was already approved for export, inspected registered for your province.
          I suppose I look like a reckless idiot as I am still in university and young, but it bothers me quite a bit because I don't have ANY real traffic violations. I am a great driver in general as well. It just bothers me because I spent so much time saving up and working hard for my hobbies instead of smoking pot and partying with the rest of my friends and they get crushed during my commute around town.

I have actually gone into detail to a younger officer about my vehicle when I showed my papers during the fall last year. His attitude got even worse and very hostile after I tried to justify myself and explain. I explained how I came to purchase the vehicle and what I have done to it mechanically, and how it is all in compliance. This is the same officer whom beforehand actually asked me to open my hood and routed through my engine, albeit not very carefully. I would like some input on that issue as well because even though I am a laid back guy, I DO NOT appreciate people, police or otherwise, laying weight onto my seven thousand dollar turbocharger. And don't ask me why he started pushing on it.

Comment

Don't know about Canada... but in CA, yes I may legally inspect your engine if I have a reasonable suspicion that the emissions system may have been altered or modified. If everything is properly certified, off you go. The next time I see you, unless you are driving unsafely, I will just watch you pass - but the cop down the road that hasn't made the pleasure of your acquaintance will probably stop you... soon enough every cop in the district will have stopped you and then you should see a decrease in such "harassing behavior".

A few things that are probably not helping you. First off, not every officer / deputy is trained in engine modifications & inspections, and rules and regulations are changing all the time. Most importantly, from my experiences as a young lad and from 20 years of doing this job, it's just a question of when, not if, a vehicle designed for racing will be driven on a public street like it's a speedway.

You may call it "harassing", but I call it making sure the driver of any such vehicle knows they are being watched and will hopefully not try to do anything unsafe in my jurisdiction. I'm here to tell you that I can find a vehicle code section to stop any car on any highway within a 1/4 mile. After that, I own you and your vehicle until such time as I've checked out your car and issued a warning for the precursor violation or I am done writing the ticket.

I don't mean to come off too strong or sound smug, but I have see too many innocent (and deserving) folks hurt or killed because of stupid decisions made with cars that should be restricted to a race track, to be concerned with anyone that feels they are being singled out just because of the look of their ride.

You just need to deal with the attention that you generate by choosing to drive such a car. I could choose to carry my unloaded shotgun on it's shoulder sling while I take my evening walk, but I shouldn't be surprised when I get proned out every night while the cops check me out and make sure my legal gun is not loaded... Good luck to you and stay safe.
            Last edited by andy5746; 02-09-2008, 11:07 PM.
            LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

$7k turbocharger?

Never heard of such a thing, especially on a Skyline, nor have I heard of a $40k engine, other than a Ferrari.
              Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

You unfortunately bought a car that every cop around you will want to take a run at because they have a tendency to push the envelope that is "street legal."

That's life. Once they know your ride is okay, they'll leave you alone. They can check underneath the hood of your car. Even though they may not be certified mechanics.

If you lived in Saskatchewan I'd stop you too. Do some research and check the Highway Traffic Act (Vehicle Equipment Regulations) and make sure that your ride is, in fact, street legal. An "inspection" usually won't cut it.

Comment

First of all, Harassing isn't quite the term I'd use. Sit back and think about it, a young kid in a super fast car that is questionable whether or not it's street legal? I call that POLICE WORK. I can sympathize, being a former gear head myself. Imports, no less. You may not like being stopped, but you're not getting ticketed so I'd say it's a wash. I can't speak on Canadian laws, so not much help there. Bottom line is if you don't like getting stopped, sell the skyline and get the pimpest pinto on the block! That's all the advice I can give.

Comment

When you buy a car to attract attention, you can't exactly complain when you get that attention, can you? When a person buys a car that's fast, customizes it to make it stand out, or puts in a stereo or exhaust that makes it loud, that vehicle is going to attract the attention of other motorists. It's also going to attract the attention of the police. Considering how extensive the traffic laws are in most places, chances are you're violating some section of it most of the time you're driving. If the officer is paying attention to you because of your vehicle, he's more likely to see those violations.

So, in the end, if you don't want the police to pay extra special attention to you, don't drive a vehicle that will attract that attention. If you insist on driving such a vehicle, then the extra attention is a bi-product that you're going to have to live with.
                    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by ZZL View Post
                      I find myself being harassed in the way that in a single month, I am usually stopped around seven times without a traffic violation.
                      Originally posted by ZZL View Post
                      I am told my car is illegal...
                      If seven different officers are telling you you're breaking the law, odds are you are. Therefore getting pulled over isn't a cop harassing you, it's a cop doing his job. Be thankful you haven't been cited.
                      Last edited by jakflak; 02-10-2008, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                        $7k turbocharger?

Never heard of such a thing, especially on a Skyline, nor have I heard of a $40k engine, other than a Ferrari.
                        GT3240 Turbo by HKS, but custom modified for even bigger housing, reinforced wheel, and turbine. Im also including the wastegate setup in the price. Engine consists of 100% brand new reinforced internals all the way from the multi plate clutch and new transmission to the rods and crankshaft to the big blue valve cover. Not very difficult to ring up that kind of price. The engine itself is also from a GT-R 34 N1 racing spec with 1200kms straight from Japan to fix the oil pump issue in the R32's and because my current RB26 engine had many internal problems such as gaskets blown. And Yes, that cost an arm and a leg itself. But questioning my finance isn't really the issue at hand.

The issue I am still having here is that I know for a fact that I am in compliance and it really bugs me that no matter what I do I find myself with flashing lights behind me. I go to the trouble of making sure that I am not the loudest and most obnoxious thing going down the highway and I don't drive like a lunatic.

Darcimus, I had the Ontario modification list and import rule list mailed to my home. I had to change my side markers, make sure my catalytic converter was equipped ( i'd probably need it for E-Test anyway) and I had to make sure my exhaust wasn't over 5'' or emitting noise that would hinder an emergency vehicle, among other smaller things. Cops may want to take a run at it, but ive had the same cop come to me... does he think this time may be just a little different then last time? I feel like im the guy that gets bothered when the shift is slow.

The main thing that bugs me is the way im treated when I get pulled over, and the fact that ive received a ticket for something completely bogus and untrue ( Not having a cat converter equipped. I did in fact have one equipped, and he did not even check, I told him this and he scoffed and told me that there wasn't a chance I was avoiding this ticket) that was thrown out, but the fact is I don't have time in my schedule to fight tickets. I understand to an extent pulling me over, but why give me an undeserved ticket.

jakflak: When im told im breaking the law its that im being told my car is illegal to own. Odds are that I am not breaking the law because there are over 15,000 Skylines in Canada at this time, all registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles. 15 year rule dictates that any car of said age which is not regularily domesticated here can be freely imported into Canada.
                        Last edited by ZZL; 02-10-2008, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Oh goody, the monthly "brag about my really, really fast, cool car and challenge the advice given" thread has arrived.

***yawn***
                          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
                            Oh goody, the monthly "brag about my really, really fast, cool car and challenge the advice given" thread has arrived.

***yawn***
                            Are you kidding, friend? I didn't brag about my vehicle. I was questioned about how I could spend that amount of money. Did you read the answers? I'm not challenging advice given. I am trying to get as many answers as I can while at the same time making sure people are completely clear on my situation. I'd suggest in the future you thoroughly understand whats happening before you post condescending, unhelpful comments.

Comment

If you have that much cash... Invest in a Yugo, as a second car. We never stop Yugos. We are afraid they will fall apart if required to stop fast...

Seriously... We have many such encounters with young kids. Normally they include things like loud mufflers, dark tinted windows, jacked up suspensions, tires that could float a tank, and so on. Many kids see it as a challenge, to see how far against the law they can make their vehicles, then act innocent and surprised when they are stopped 7 times in a day. My advice? Try harder to blend in with the rest of society. The stops will then stop. If you stick out, and your car screams for attention, don't be surprised when you get it.
                              As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3016 users online. 201 members and 2815 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X