Domestic Calls...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic Calls...

Part of my application is the assesment part which I have to fire off a revolver in 30seconds, 40 rounds. After passing that I'm put into a situation, they almost always put you in a domestic call since they're so common. A lot of people tend to fail this part of the test (atleast here). They want to see if you can take and maintain control of the situation pretty much.

What steps do you guys take upon arrival to a domestic disturbance/assault call. After coming to conclusion of what exactly happened what/how do you write on the report?

Very very very very first thing I ask when I arrive, "are any weapons in the house?"

I also want to know exactly where the other party is.

I want to know if anyone else is in the house.

Once these questions are answered, both parties are seperated. I interview one subject while my partner another. At all times I can see my partner and vice versa. I do not allow anyone freedom to walk around or go looking for crap under beds and dresser drawers. Sit down, try and relax and tell me what happened.

Comment

Something is not right!!

Originally posted by ERMDPD View Post
      Part of my application is the assesment part which I have to fire off a revolver in 30seconds, 40 rounds.
      Revolver?? 40 rounds in 30 seconds???

No way! Starting with a fully loaded weapon, a 6-shot cylinder would require 6 reloads!!

Sing the following tune:
      "Here we go a a-trolling, a-trolling, a-trolling, here we go a-trolling all day long..."
      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post

No way! Starting with a fully loaded weapon, a 6-shot cylinder would require 6 reloads!!

Sing the following tune:
        "Here we go a a-trolling, a-trolling, a-trolling, here we go a-trolling all day long..."
        From what I know it doesn't have bullets...Guess shoot 40 blanks in 30seconds I hear it's easy just starts to numb your finger.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post

Sing the following tune:
          Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
          Very very very very first thing I ask when I arrive, "are any weapons in the house?"

I also want to know exactly where the other party is.

I want to know if anyone else is in the house.

Once these questions are answered, both parties are seperated. I interview one subject while my partner another. At all times I can see my partner and vice versa. I do not allow anyone freedom to walk around or go looking for crap under beds and dresser drawers. Sit down, try and relax and tell me what happened.
          Alright thanks man... Guess my first three questions should be:
          1. Are there any weapons
          2. Where is the bf or gf (other party)
          3. What happened...

Question...a lot of times I know the male (usually suspect) will say he didn't assault his gf/wife.. If there isn't any physical evidence that she's been hit what do you do? Just tell the female to find some where else to stay for the night or what?

Comment

Make sure you ask if there are any injuries.
            sigpic"To punish and enslave"

Comment

Originally posted by 10-41 View Post
              Make sure you ask if there are any injuries.
              I was planning on asking that after the subject tells me exactly what happened if/when the victim tells me they got hit or whatever I'll then proceed asking them if they need me to call an ambulance to attend him/her.

If they're are any major visible injuries (bleeding) I would request for rescue right away.

Comment

Originally posted by ERMDPD View Post
                I was planning on asking that after the subject tells me exactly what happened if/when the victim tells me they got hit or whatever I'll then proceed asking them if they need me to call an ambulance to attend him/her.

If they're are any major visible injuries (bleeding) I would request for rescue right away.
                No, don't wait. You will learn in the academy that when you show up on scene, your first priority is to secure it for yourself and others i.e. is suspect still here, any weapons etc. Then you determine if EMS needs to be dispatched. Sometimes the most serious injuries aren't visibile. After that, then start sorting out the facts.
                sigpic"To punish and enslave"

Comment

Originally posted by 10-41 View Post
                  No, don't wait. You will learn in the academy that when you show up on scene, your first priority is to secure it for yourself and others i.e. is suspect still here, any weapons etc. Then you determine if EMS needs to be dispatched. Sometimes the most serious injuries aren't visibile. After that, then start sorting out the facts.
                  Good point...Guess I will re-arrange my questions.

Comment

Never seen anyone have to actually fire a weapon as part of the process.

I have seen it where they have to pull the trigger (x) number of times in (x) time limit.

They throw you into a domestic call as part of the hiring process? How can they pass or fail you if you've never been trained how to deal with a domestic call??
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve in PA View Post
                      Never seen anyone have to actually fire a weapon as part of the process.

I have seen it where they have to pull the trigger (x) number of times in (x) time limit.

They throw you into a domestic call as part of the hiring process? How can they pass or fail you if you've never been trained how to deal with a domestic call??
                      It's not a real call...It's a room with officers that act the scene out as a domestic call...Basically they just want to see if you can take control of a situation and what you would write on the report. If you fail this part I heard you have to attend like a 1 week class or something so you have a better understanding of domestic calls.

Comment

I have never heard of a department using a domestic scene or any other, outside of an obstacle course and dummy drag as part of the hiring process, at least for new recruits. i can see this possibly for laterals. Odd
                        "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

I know its not a real call, but how can you be graded or evaluated on a domestic call if you've never been trainined in that area?

This is all part of the testing procedure to get hired by a dept???

Thats like getting tested in CPR, etc......before you've had any training.
                          Steve

Comment

What dept is this. i would like to see their recruiting website. sounds fishy.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4554 users online. 190 members and 4364 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                            X