300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bounty Hunters

I was watching a show about bounty hunters who work for bail agents on The National Geographic Channel. They said they were sure the person they were after was in his fathers house so they knock on the door, noone answers so they go around back and kick open the door and begin to search. They found the father who said get out of my house, they didnt and searched the house for 2 hours.... eventually determining he was not there.
    My question is: can Bounty Hunters legal force entry into homes and search it? Also would LEO's arrest the Bounty Hunters for tresspassing? And finaly what would happen if the father chose to open fire with a shotgun thinking the bounty hunters were home invaders? Btw this is was north of Sacromento, CA.

Im not to familliar with bounty hunters but I KNOW police need a search warrant to enter a house. Bounty hunters are not police.

Comment

Depends on the state, but if the father's house is in the bail paperwork as the offenders residence and/or as the collateral (sp?) they (in some states) can access that home to recover the offender.

Being dad was home but didnt open the door, I'd be thinking he was in there too...

Comment

Originally posted by moulton View Post
        I was watching a show about bounty hunters who work for bail agents on The National Geographic Channel. They said they were sure the person they were after was in his fathers house so they knock on the door, noone answers so they go around back and kick open the door and begin to search. They found the father who said get out of my house, they didnt and searched the house for 2 hours.... eventually determining he was not there.
        My question is: can Bounty Hunters legal force entry into homes and search it? Also would LEO's arrest the Bounty Hunters for tresspassing? And finaly what would happen if the father chose to open fire with a shotgun thinking the bounty hunters were home invaders? Btw this is was north of Sacromento, CA.
        Its a pretty interesting show. I caught the first couple episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by BOSMIA View Post
          Its a pretty interesting show. I caught the first couple episodes.
          Many states have updated their bail agent (bounty hunter) laws due to gross negligence and abuse that occured in the last decade or two. Prior to this update many states were allowing them to operate under laws that dated back to the late 1800's-early 1900's, which gave them free reign. I have read that a few states still operate this way, allowing them to get away with way too much.
          sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

Bounty Hunters (Bail Agents) are NOT Peace Officers, and therefor are not bound by restrictions normally placed on Peace Officers. Bounty Hunters essentially operate under authority of a 130 year old US Supreme Court decision which states, among other things, that they can make warrantless arrests/searches virtually anywhere in the country. As noted in a previous post, many jurisdictions have enacted statutes/ordinances which attempt to regulate or moderate the activities of these individuals. Bail Agents are essentially either Bail Bondsmen or employees of Bondsmen. If a Bandsman posts bail for an individual, and that person fails to appear in court at the required date/time, the Bondsman "eats" that bond, and the amount(s) can be substantial. The type of client the Bondsman deals with are usually not pillars of the community, and will skip in a minute, given the chance. Thus, the Bondsman has every incentive to recover his subject, and produce him in court. He doesn't make much of living otherwise.

Comment

See the previous thread on bounty hunters: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ty#post1005815

As I said in that thread:

"Bounty hunters are limited to enforcing a contract, ie the bond agreement, and have not other authority except the "citizen's arrest" nonsense that exists in many jurisdictions. Further, there is nothing that would allow a bounty hunter to forcibly enter a third party residence to apprehend a skip. They have no legal authority to detain third party persons residence when apprehending a skip. . . Bounty hunters have absolutely no authority over anyone other than the party to the contract they are trying to enforce, and therefore cannot legally detain any other person present when apprehending a skip."

If the situation was like the OP described then the bounty hunters likely committed several crimes when they forced their way into the home.

Comment

Originally posted by SA13 View Post
                If the situation was like the OP described then the bounty hunters likely committed several crimes when they forced their way into the home.
                I watched it last night and they were breaking into a place and chased some idiot who fled out a window.....

One would suspect that State Laws come into play as well.....as unless it's changed since I have been in DC/NVA area...... The guys in MO were allowed to do just that.....

Comment

Bounty Hunters

I'm still waiting for one of those Yo-Yos to get shot for pulling a stunt like that and then get charged with Burglary, Criminal Mischief, and Unlawful Imprisonment. They would if I showed up to a call like that.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6411 users online. 346 members and 6065 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X