This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Advice

I WORK AS A SECURITY GUARD AND HAVE A GUARD CARD AND A BATON PERMIT. ON HALLOWEEN I WORE A BLACK TACTICAL SHIRT WITH REPLICA SWAT PATCHES, PANTS, BOOTS AND A VEST WITH POLCIE ON THE BACK. I WAS PICKING UP MY FRIENDS FROM THEIR HOUSE. TWO OFFICERS DROVE BY, THEN TURNED AROUND AND ASKED IF I WAS A COP. I TOLD THEM NO, AND THAT IT WAS A COSTUME. THEY CUFFED ME AND ARRESTED ME FOR IMPERSONATION, I TOLD THEM THAT I;M NOT CONSENTING TO A VEHOCLE SEARCH BUT THEY DIDI IT ANYWAYS (THEY SAIS THE COULD, SINCE I WAS UNDER ARREST). WHEN THEY SEARCHED MY CAR, FOUND BATON IN TRUNK, AND RED DASH LIGHT AND PA SYTSTEM (BOTH ARE LEGAL TO HAVE, BUT ILLEGAL TO OPERATE), THEY ALSO FOUND IN THE CAR IN A BAD IN BACK SEAT, 2 TOY GUNS AND HOLSTERS AND A BULLETPROOF VEST AND THEY PUT ME IN JAIL FOR IMPERSONATION AND POSESSION OF A WEAPON, EVEN THOUGH I HAD A PERMIT FOR IT. 2 WEEKS LATER, WHILE MY TRIAL IS STILL PENDING, THEY CONTACTED DEPT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS AND SUSPENDED ALL MY SECURITY CERTIFICATES. I'M JUST CURIOUS, IF YOU SAW A PERSON ON THE STREET ON HALLOWEEN, HOW WOULD YOU RESPOND ? WOULD YOU QUESTION HIM AND SEE WHAT'S GOING ON, OR WOULD YOU AUTOMATICALLY ARREST HIM? ANY ADVICE/PERSONAL OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED THANKS.

Don't type in all caps, it's considered "shouting" and is rude on the net. Secondly, they can search your vehicle search incident to arrest. Thirdly, state law and certainly the Constitution make no expections called "The Halloween Exception." Lastly, I don't know that I would have arrested you and I wasn't there. It's possible they had the PC and you gave them the motivation. Given everything they ended up finding in your vehicle, you seem suspicious.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

It makes me wonder if you are leaving out some important information. In the location I work, just the word POLICE on something will not cut it as far as impersonation. Thats not to mention "POLICIE". One would need to do or say something to the effect that you was a police officer. Now if you had a dept name as well as police that is a different matter entirely. So- what are you leaving out?

As Smurfet said, the search is good to go. They do not need your consent. And-why would you have not consented. After all, it was Halloween, right? Something to hide?
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have to agree with the other two posts. The search is valid an in legal terms is specified as "search incident to arrest". Your vehicle, which you had just exited is able to be searched once you are arrested.

I also think something is missing from your account of the incident. I actually loaned one of my agencies uniforms and badge to a guy to dress up on halloween.

We have a small motorcycle rally in our town each year in July (Little Sturgis). One of the security firms is named "Kentucky Special Police" and wear black shirts with yellow KSP on the back, wear duty belts with cuffs, but no weapons and have blue lights on their personal vehicles (which is illegal in Kentucky). I have advised the rally committee to keep them out of view of public or I would charge them with impersonating an officer. I have yet to do so however.

Comment

Originally posted by jricks View Post
          I actually loaned one of my agencies uniforms and badge to a guy to dress up on halloween.

Seriously? Oy vey, the IA I'd get over that one!!!
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Yeah, no loaning your uniforms out... Halloween or not, asking for trouble.

Yes.. as has been said, 'search incident to arrest' allows an officer(s) to search your vehicle/person after you have been legitimately/legally arrested.

There is a chunk out of your story which is missing. Also, you would be hard pressed to explain to me why you have a bulletproof vest in your car, especially in California (which makes it a crime to possess while committing a crime).

scrubb
            “You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm.”

Comment

I don't know the laws in your state. But where I work it requires more than simply wearing a look-a-like uniform to be charged with impersonation.
              ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                Don't type in all caps, it's considered "shouting" and is rude on the net. Secondly, they can search your vehicle search incident to arrest. Thirdly, state law and certainly the Constitution make no expections called "The Halloween Exception." Lastly, I don't know that I would have arrested you and I wasn't there. It's possible they had the PC and you gave them the motivation. Given everything they ended up finding in your vehicle, you seem suspicious.
                X-2. Dont' admit it here, but ask yourself if that wasn't one of the dumbest moves you've made lately. And, yes the search of your automobile incident to arrest, was legal. Would you have made the trip downtown in Alabama? Absolutely!! Now to the colleague who loaned his uniform for a costume. That was not your most brilliant move either. You'd have gotten fired from my agency, and no doubt severely disciplined at many others.

Comment

FYI,,,,I'm not sure if they booked you for the PR-24....but possession is a felony in CA...12020(A) PC....and your baton card is only valid when you are at work, or to/from work.

And that added with all the other stuff they found, you would probably get some VERY unwelcome attention....we get alot of police impersonators doing bad things....like pulling people over....and 211ing them....
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Now he's gonna have to do alot of cut N paste to get the favorable responses to line up in the printout.
                    Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                    Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. The patches said LAPD Swat (they were replicas), vest is was POLICE, and No I didn't show off myself as an officer in any way to anyone. It was just a costume that I put together for about $140. hmmmm money well spent heh. but I guess, Halloween no Halloween, the officer thought they had to do what they did. ...........One more Q: Some of you said that it appears that I left something out, what do u mean? (Btw, I do agree that jeopardizing your career by loaning your uniform isn't the smartest move.)

Comment

you'd be surprised how many laughts/compliments I got down at the station, from cops, and my bench pals lol.

Comment

It's threads like this that have made my forehead so flat.
                          Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                          Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BOUNCER_LA View Post
                            you'd be surprised how many laughts/compliments I got down at the station, from cops, and my bench pals lol.
                            Well then that makes it right and worth it for you!!
                            Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

You are a bouncer and have a police red light in your car and a siren? Those items right there scream police impersonator to me. I have arrested my share of wannabees and have a large collection of badges and ID cards used by same for a wall display. Doesn't matter if it was Halloween, or any other day of the year. There is a good percentage of crimes that occur on Halloween. If I see someone in my AO with a police uniform of any type on that I don't recognize, they are being confronted, plain and simple, and arrested if warranted. Choose your costumes and place items such as red lights and sirens in your car at your own risk...
                              As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10463 users online. 507 members and 9956 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X