300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, looks like I'm boned

I just got this letter in the mail from the DMV telling me that my drivers license is suspended and has been since Dec. 19th. It's because I had a "failure to appear" from a fix-it ticket issued JUNE 12TH, 2005. Yes, that's right, all of a sudden, TWO AND A HALF YEARS after this ticket was issued ("no front plate," that car never had a front plate and I sold it soon after), my license has been suspended. Also, I was convicted of failure to appear, which is a misdemeanor, which means my perfect record is no longer perfect. My job, installing DirecTV, requires me to drive, 6 days a week. I also have to drive to school, starting next week. If I drive, I'll have my car impounded and sold, I'll probably be arrested, fined and put in jail. I have to pay some ungodly amount in fines, as well as an insult-to-injury $55 to "reinstate" my license with the DMV.

So now that school is starting and I'm going to be working less, I get to possibly lose my job, my car, and any chance I have at any other decent job. Oh, and for some reason the apts I used to live at are now sending me to collections for $1200, when they too never told me about owing anything. There's nothing for me to owe, especially $1200!!

Happy f%@#$n new years

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
    I just got this letter in the mail from the DMV telling me that my drivers license is suspended and has been since Dec. 19th. It's because I had a "failure to appear" from a fix-it ticket issued JUNE 12TH, 2005. Yes, that's right, all of a sudden, TWO AND A HALF YEARS after this ticket was issued ("no front plate," that car never had a front plate and I sold it soon after), my license has been suspended. Also, I was convicted of failure to appear, which is a misdemeanor, which means my perfect record is no longer perfect. My job, installing DirecTV, requires me to drive, 6 days a week. I also have to drive to school, starting next week. If I drive, I'll have my car impounded and sold, I'll probably be arrested, fined and put in jail. I have to pay some ungodly amount in fines, as well as an insult-to-injury $55 to "reinstate" my license with the DMV.

So now that school is starting and I'm going to be working less, I get to possibly lose my job, my car, and any chance I have at any other decent job. Oh, and for some reason the apts I used to live at are now sending me to collections for $1200, when they too never told me about owing anything. There's nothing for me to owe, especially $1200!!

Happy f%@#$n new years
    If you had taken care of this TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO it wouldn't be an issue now. You obviously knew you received a ticket two and a half years ago. Did you honestly think it would just go away? The fact you sold the car after receiving the ticket proves nothing. Why dont you just pay the fine? If you do you should be able to get your license reinstated with the abstract from the court.

I hope you have thick skin, because my post is probably the most "polite" one you will receive.
    sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

Originally posted by ujocka View Post
      If you had taken care of this TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO it wouldn't be an issue now. You obviously knew you received a ticket two and a half years ago. Did you honestly think it would just go away? The fact you sold the car after receiving the ticket proves nothing. Why dont you just pay the fine? If you do you should be able to get your license reinstated with the abstract from the court.

I hope you have thick skin, because my post is probably the most "polite" one you will receive.
      Woulda, shoulda, coulda. What's in the past doesn't matter, what I need now is some way to deal with it now.

I can't just pay the fine, it'll be hundreds of dollars. I don't even have dollars right now, not to mention starting school and working even LESS

And I have plenty thick skin for people's comments on the internet

Comment

Don't do the crime if you can't serve the time!!
        You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.

sigpic

Comment

No harsh comments from me. Here in LA County people can extend their payments over a few months to pay off stuff like this. Call the court and find out if they have a program like this. It would really help to bust up the fine into easy-to-swallow bits. If you still can't so that, there's always CalTrans trash pickup on weekends....

Comment

The first thing you need to do is to admit to yourself that this whole thing is your responsibility. You got the ticket and signed that written promise to appear. It's your fault you didn't show up and incurred these additional problems. That said, now what to do? If I were you, I'd go to court explain that you don't have the money and would like to either:

1) Get an extension on the fine and pay it over time.
            2) Work it off, via community service.

The other option is to borrow the money and pay the loan off over time.

Although you're really upset over your present situation, it's not the worst thing in the world you could be facing and it's not going to be too hard to clear up if you make your mind up to do it.
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

go to court, make arrangements for payments over time. Sac county courts are usually pretty good about it OR work it off via community service.

once that is done,

file an appeal with DMV, at least get a to and from work restriction (and don't take advantage of that restriction or worse troubles lie ahead).

in the future, take care of your citations, fix it or otherwise.
              ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
              -- John Wayne

Comment

The stuff with DMV wasn't your fault, the issue with your previous landlord wasn't your fault. One question. Who's fault is it, then? As an adult you are responsible for handling your business, not whining about it later WHEN it catches up to you.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

First thing Wed morning be at the court, get on calendar, and sacrafice yourself to the Great Robed One. See if they'll give you the paperwork to take to DMV to reinstate your license.
                  Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                  Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                    The first thing you need to do is to admit to yourself that this whole thing is your responsibility. You got the ticket and signed that written promise to appear. It's your fault you didn't show up and incurred these additional problems. That said, now what to do? If I were you, I'd go to court explain that you don't have the money and would like to either:

1) Get an extension on the fine and pay it over time.
                    2) Work it off, via community service.

The other option is to borrow the money and pay the loan off over time.

Although you're really upset over your present situation, it's not the worst thing in the world you could be facing and it's not going to be too hard to clear up if you make your mind up to do it.
                    X-2, and to borrow a comment from Judge Joe Brown. "TCB"-Take care of business".

Comment

Happy New Year to you as well.

Comment

And???

Posted in ask a cop.....is there a question or are you just venting?

You can go to court and make arrangements to pay the fine..using installments.

However, you must take care of the situation before it gets to where it is today. There is no excuse for ignoring a fix it ticket..thinking it would go away. All it would have cost you is $10 admin fee. But you let it get to this.

If you want to get into LE, like your profile states...then ya better wake up and smell the coffee.

Respect others, respect yourself and be responsible.
                        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Whatever you, don't drive! You already know that if you do get caught driving on a suspended license, your car will be impounded for 30 days. To get it out of impound, you will have to pay for the tow ($75 or more) and storage ($25 per day). You will likely go to jail. You will also not have insurance coverage, since insurance companies won't cover someone under suspension. You will wind up with a conviction for driving suspended on your record and get a longer suspension.

Community service or jail time will be the quickest way to take care of it if you don't have the money to pay. The suspension will not be lifted until the fine is paid in full.
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Go and speak with the judge.....before you're caught driving and then taken to "the justice" by the friendly officer.
                            Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                            Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Those of you bitching, I posted here to vent and get suggestions on what to do. I never denied responsibility, I was pissed that all of a sudden, 2 1/2 years after the fact, they decide to just suspend my license and not give me any other opportunity to take care of it before it came to this.

I can't take any time off work, because then I'm not making money to pay the exorbitant fees. $550 total to pay it all off. An entire week's pay. Thank god I get paid 3x this month or I'd be screwed even harder.

As for wanting to get into law enforcement, I'm no longer interested in even trying at this point. I already have issues with my credit, I've been DQ'd for having different jobs throughout high school, and now this is on my record. My credit isn't going to get any better any time soon, this incident won't help me at all, and regardless of who I actually am, this all makes others think otherwise. No matter how much I try to keep my nose clean, there's always something holding me back. So I'm just going to go back to school and maybe a few years in the future I'll reconsider trying again. I know some of you will rejoice, given your holier-than-thou attitudes portrayed here, but I really couldn't care less.
                              Last edited by kickstand; 01-02-2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3344 users online. 228 members and 3116 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X