Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stories of traffic stops and leagal firearms..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a LEO yet, just a recruit, but I had a question. It is my understanding that due to H.R. 218 (http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html) all LEOs carrying proper credentials can carry concealed in any state in the union. Does this not extend to the District?
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamkn View Post
      Not a LEO yet, just a recruit, but I had a question. It is my understanding that due to H.R. 218 (http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html) all LEOs carrying proper credentials can carry concealed in any state in the union. Does this not extend to the District?
      DC as well. The entire country...

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
        Are you a cop? Yes, Patrol 15 years, criminal investigator 2 years
        There are several other wonderful locations in this beautiful country you can explore. Sorry you took my reply so personal

I didnt make the laws sir. If you have a problem with it, call your local senator? Did I say I had a problem with the laws there? I think I said in my post, the laws and regs there YOU had nothing to do with

Well I guess it sucks to be where you are then huh? No, I thought I pretty much said I prefer it here...

Before you go getting all cute Where did THAT come from. I'm far from "cute"there are a few facts that you need to understand. Your incident was a personal one, and not every officer out here has had a simialr one. All of the incidents I've had with CC holders have been positive. It only takes one though, right? One more thing. Hard to monday morning quaterback when you were not there...Never said I was, did I?
        I wasn't trying to "quarterback" your actions. Sorry you felt that way. I was commenting on the obvious nature of the unconstitutional laws in our Nation's Capitol. My Senator has already received my thoughts on them. If you want a copy of the letter I can fax you one, from my department, to yours.
        As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by grog18b View Post
          I wasn't trying to "quarterback" your actions. Sorry you felt that way. I was commenting on the obvious nature of the unconstitutional laws in our Nation's Capitol. My Senator has already received my thoughts on them. If you want a copy of the letter I can fax you one, from my department, to yours.
          You were not trying to quarterback my actions but you question me?

Originally posted by grog18b View Post
          Were I treated that way, I think there would be a civil rights lawsuit filed... Fortunately, there was, and the Supreme Court will be hearing it next year.
          If you identify yourself as an "officer" then we wont go through that litte exchange. However if your not an "officer" then you are coming out of that car exactly the way I explained. As far as the the gun law in DC? I dont agree with it at all. You can own a shotgun or rifle, but cant own a handgun and its virtuall impossible to carry a handgun in the city unless your LE or military.

Comment

The question was a simple one. What if you stopped an off duty cop or military person with a firearm. Thanks for explaining there is a difference.
            As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

You were not trying to quarterback my actions but you question me?
              Easy tiger...this thread was about traffic stops, and legal firearms - but you hopped in with your experiences with firearms that are not legal in DC - interesting yes, on this particular topic, no.
              Last edited by dboogie2288; 12-20-2007, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dboogie2288 View Post
                Easy tiger...this thread was about traffic stops, and legal firearms - but you hopped in with youre experiences with firearms that are not legal in DC - interesting yes, on this particular topic, no.
                Because the guy "legally" owned the firearm and could "legally" carry it on him where he lived. It inadvertently became an issue when he crossed the line. We were going to talk about him "scooting" back over the line, but we never got that far.

Comment

I UNDERSTAND why you do what you do. That dosent mean I have to AGREE with it. I am not in your chain of command and you are not in mine.

I do accept than anyone with a weapon is a threat until proven otherwise. I take precautions to keep me and my partner safe. Our precautions don't quite go as far as your precautions and that's fine. We live in completely different political and social climates. There are an INCREDIBLE number of personal protection permits issued in my city and county. I come accross legally armed citizens quite frequently and treat them with the same courtesy and respect as unarmed citizens.

I pray for all the citizens and Law Enforcement in D.C. that D.C. v. Heller is upheld.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                    I come accross legally armed citizens quite frequently
                    Next year in the supreme court that is going to be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Comment

Indiana is almost alarmingly liberal when issuing protection permits, but as it stands I am 100% legal in the carrying of my sidearm (with obvious exceptions). With that being said, if I were ever treated (legally minding my own business, but perhaps I ran a stop sign) such as you have described DC - I would be angry to say the least. You say inconvenienced, and you may view it as such, but would you treat any legal citizen minding his or her business as such? I know you've had your experiences, but if the situations were reversed, how would it make you feel to be treated as a criminal, when you've done nothing wrong (outside of said minor violation)?

Comment

Indiana is almost alarmingly liberal when issuing protection permits, but as it stands I am 100% legal in the carrying of my sidearm (with obvious exceptions). With that being said, if I were ever treated (legally minding my own business, but perhaps I ran a stop sign) such as you have described DC - I would be angry to say the least. You say inconvenienced, and you may view it as such, but would you treat any legal citizen minding his or her business as such? I know you've had your experiences, but if the situations were reversed, how would it make you feel to be treated as a criminal, when you've done nothing wrong (outside of said minor violation)?
                        If I was a citizen and I came in contact with an officer, I advised him I had a weapon on me and he "handcuffed" me, "advised" me I was not under arrest and took possession of the firearm, THEN took me out of cuffs, I would not feel like a criminal at all. Criminals go to JAIL. Because the officer takes steps to ensure a "loaded weapon" is not turned against him/her, I would have absolutely no problems with it at all...

Comment

If I was a citizen and I came in contact with an officer, I advised him I had a weapon on me and he "handcuffed" me, "advised" me I was not under arrest and took possession of the firearm, THEN took me out of cuffs, I would not feel like a criminal at all. Criminals go to JAIL. Because the officer takes steps to ensure a "loaded weapon" is not turned against him/her, I would have absolutely no problems with it at all...
                          This part:

Im going to ask you to step out of the vehicle facing away from me, with your hands in the air. (My weapon will be at the low ready, pointed in your direction.) You will get down on your knees and follow my commands to put your hands behind your back

Is more of what I was interested about. Gun drawn, on the ground in the snow and muck, that's humiliating....again, at this point, I've done nothing wrong outside of my traffic violation.

Comment

This part:

Im going to ask you to step out of the vehicle facing away from me, with your hands in the air. (My weapon will be at the low ready, pointed in your direction.) You will get down on your knees and follow my commands to put your hands behind your back

Is more of what I was interested about. Gun drawn, on the ground in the snow and muck, that's humiliating....again, at this point, I've done nothing wrong outside of my traffic violation.
                            Maybe I should go into detail.

In the rain, snow, inclement weather, mud, dirt- you will not get on your knees.

Dry weather, you will.

Low ready- My weapon is not pointed at YOU. Its pointed towards the ground in YOUR direction.

Humliated- Sorry, Im not here to appease your feelings.

P.S. One more thing. Aside from your "minor traffic" violation, I dont know who you are or where your coming from.
                            Last edited by CityCopDC; 12-20-2007, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Im going to ask you to step out of the vehicle facing away from me, with your hands in the air. (My weapon will be at the low ready, pointed in your direction.) You will get down on your knees and follow my commands to put your hands behind your back.
                              Not to mention that is pretty much exactly what we do on a FELONY car stop.
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                                Not to mention that is pretty much exactly what we do on a FELONY car stop.
                                On a felony stop you lay on the ground. And weapons are pointed at you, not in your direction.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4571 users online. 276 members and 4295 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X