X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
    You will see this at both agencies I work for. We are required to do a Use Of Force Report on each and every deployment of the Taser. This includes pointing it at anyone and giving commands, painting the target with the laser, etc.
    In our policy, it is considered a successful deployment if I were to put the red-dot on someone's chest and they follow my orders.
    If we can document this, we can also document the point at which it would have/could have turned into a deadly force situation.
    But you can't then turn to the media/public/whomever and state that X number of people were not killed; this is human nature we're talking about. 1) you don't know if an Officer would have actually shot them and 2) would the shot have taken their lives or not.

Leave a comment:

• JLee
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdenial View Post
    I'm getting pretty sick of the media and tasers. Anyone else have the same feeling? They are a great tool, but I'm afraid that someday all this supposed bad press may ruin it.
    Our local reporters voluntarily took the ride - I was quite impressed. We're fortunate to have fair media up here.

Leave a comment:

• hbliam
    replied
    Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
    You will see this at both agencies I work for. We are required to do a Use Of Force Report on each and every deployment of the Taser. This includes pointing it at anyone and giving commands, painting the target with the laser, etc.
    In our policy, it is considered a successful deployment if I were to put the red-dot on someone's chest and they follow my orders.
    If we can document this, we can also document the point at which it would have/could have turned into a deadly force situation.
    A report that you pointed the taser at someone? Sheesh. Do you have to write a report everytime you point your gun at someone?

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    The thing that you'll never see because the stats really can't be determined, is how many people were not shot and killed (when lethal force was authorized) because the Officer chose to deploy the taser.

Leave a comment:

• Fuzz
    replied
    Its a wonderful tool for law enforcement, but that doesnt make headlines that the media can use. I have actually had parents write in thanking me for tasering their son because they knew he could have been shot but wasnt. Unfortunately the news will never show the good side of Tasers

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    This Too, Shall Pass

Originally posted by mrdenial View Post
    I'm getting pretty sick of the media and tasers. Anyone else have the same feeling? They are a great tool, but I'm afraid that someday all this supposed bad press may ruin it.
    We went through the same thing when pepper spray first came out. The press screamed about a hand full of people who coincidentally died in custody after being pepper sprayed and everyone called for it to be banned as a homicidal instrument of torture.

It's just a slow news cycle.

Leave a comment:

• Blackdog F4i
    replied
    I have personally had two knife wielders that were taken into custody with the Taser. Had a Taser not been available I would have had to shoot in both circumstances. The cost of those "wrongful death" suits alone could pay to equip every officer on our deparment with Tasers and cartridges for a LONG time.

As of the last time I checked the Stats. There has not been a SINGLE "death by Taser". All deaths were caused by other circumstances. The Taser or ESD may have been a contributing factor, but then again the trauma caused by blunt impact or other control measures could have also caused the death had a Taser not been available.

I think the key thing with the Taser is that the public sees them as "unfair". The average person believes that fights should be "fair". Of course these type of people have never been in a fight for their lives.

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    They are a great tool, IMHO. The thing that you'll never see because the stats really can't be determined, is how many people were not shot and killed (when lethal force was authorized) because the Officer chose to deploy the taser. Media will always have an agenda and by reading the article they put front page and the headlines they use to garner attention is a great way to see that agenda right up front.

There have been a lot of reported taser deaths recently. They've been reported as death by taser before the autopsy has even been completed. There was one like that recently. The man didn't die from the taser. He died from the combination of drugs and alcohol in his system and the rush of adrenline from fighting the Police caused irregular heart beats and he dropped. Taser didn't cause the death, but was blamed in the media as such.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Tasers and the media

Tasers and the media

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4109 users online. 259 members and 3850 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X