300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gene L View Post
    I think you are reaching there. I would like to know what states allow Bondsman to violate people's civil rights or make arrests based on anything more than their civil contract with their "client".

In seome states, cops can't serve a warrant on Sunday, or in certain hours of the night. Bail bondsmen can. Cops can't trespss on a person's property without an arrest warrant or a search warrant, because of Ammendment 4.

Ammendment 4 only applies to the government, not to civilians. They can (as they do on the movies) sneak up and look thru windows, (if they don't gt caught) tape them up and throw them in the trunk of their car, can enter private dwellings by subterfuge, etc. In otherwords they can do anything that would otherwise be considered kidnapping if it wasn't for their status as a bailsbondsman.

As I said, it's the same as a repro man...they have very few limits, since they are fullfilling a civil contract. A repro man pulls up into your driveway, hooks up, and drives off.

A bondsman pulls up, hooks up the jumper, and drives off.

There's nothing that says a bondsman can't carry a weapon because he's a bondsman, and a lot of states have reciprocity for CCW. So it depends on the state.
    So your saying these guys can burglarize people without consequence? Thats f'd up. Repomen cant break into garages or any private area and take the car...it has to be publicly accessable...driveways count, though.
    LAPD

Comment

I dealt w/ one in our most urban, no woods, no trees area. He was standing by the road near a KFC. He was, and I am not kidding, wearing tiger stripe camo panys, shirt, boony hat, load bearing vest, coat, and boots, with an "Agent" badge around his neck. You have to know, this was at about 1400 hrs, with the closest tree about 400 yards away. I could not even talk to him, I was biting my lip trying not to laugh. Any way, they are usually full of crap. B safe, J-Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
        Duane Chapman (a.k.a. DOG) is a convicted Felon. THAT is why he dosent carry a firearm.

I think you are reaching there. I would like to know what states allow Bondsman to violate people's civil rights or make arrests based on anything more than their civil contract with their "client".

I have only once ran accross a group of "Bounty Hunters". They were out of state and the goofballs figured they would remove the plate on their dark blue CVPI so that their Skip would not notice they were from that state. Of course they failed to realize that local police would notice. We explained to them that they needed to put their plate back on. They weren't real swift either. They told us who and where their subject was supposed to be at and for us to call them if we saw this person. I guess they didn't realize that if we come in contact with a Felon with out of state warrants we HAVE to lodge him and allow the other state to extradite him. We can't exactly hand him over to civilians.

ETA: They WERE legally carrying handguns and long guns and had body armor. It was an interesting stop for a few minutes.
        COMPENDIUM OF STATE BOUNTY HUNTER LAWS

"(The sureties)***whenever they choose to do so may seize him and deliver him up to their discharge: and if this cannot be done at once, they may imprison him until it can be done. They may pursue him to another state; may arrest him on the Sabbath, and, if necessary, may break and enter his house for that purpose. The seizure is not made by virtue of new process. None is needed. It is likened to the rearrest by the sheriff of an escaping prisoner."

United States Supreme Court: Taylor v Taintor 16 Wall, 36

http://www.americanbailcoalition.com...compendium.htm
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by J Bo1664 View Post
          He was, and I am not kidding, wearing tiger stripe camo panys, shirt, boony hat, load bearing vest, coat, and boots, with an "Agent" badge around his neck.
          Camo panties??
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

A bondsman only goes after a subject after he has missed his court appearance right?

I may be totally clueless about this, but here if you miss a court appearance a warrant is issued for your arrest. Once a warrant is issued here I have the right to snap you up anywhere anytime. I also have the right to forcibly enter the address the warrant is issued for and search anywhere the subject may be hidden.

I am fairly certain that if a bondsman forcibly enters a residence he can be charged with a Felony (residential entry).

I can't see any way, in the State of Indiana that a bondsman has greater powers of arrest than I do as a Police Officer.

We don't have warrant squads here. Each officer takes it upon himself to check for fresh felony warrants. When we have a break in dispatched runs we work the warrants.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
              A bondsman only goes after a subject after he has missed his court appearance right?

I may be totally clueless about this, but here if you miss a court appearance a warrant is issued for your arrest. Once a warrant is issued here I have the right to snap you up anywhere anytime. I also have the right to forcibly enter the address the warrant is issued for and search anywhere the subject may be hidden.

I am fairly certain that if a bondsman forcibly enters a residence he can be charged with a Felony (residential entry).

I can't see any way, in the State of Indiana that a bondsman has greater powers of arrest than I do as a Police Officer.

We don't have warrant squads here. Each officer takes it upon himself to check for fresh felony warrants. When we have a break in dispatched runs we work the warrants.
              Indiana law concerning Bail Enforcement Agents:

License required. A surety, or a person authorized by him with a certified copy of the undertaking, may apprehend a principal in any county in the state (IC 35-1-22-7). Recovery agents must be licensed (IC 27-10-3-1(1997). To obtain a license, recovery agents must be at least 18, a citizen of the US, a resident of IN for at least 6 months, 10 years since a felony conviction, 5 years since a misdemeanor. (IC 27-10-3-5.) They must pass an examination given by the state. (IC 27-10-3-6). Recovery agents must notify the sheriff in their respective locales of their residence (IC 27-10-3-17) and bail bond agents must give the state a list of recovery agents they employ (IC 27-10-3-14). Forcible entry into a private dwelling of a third party to arrest the principal is prohibited (IC 35-33-1-4) (IC 27-10-2-7) Mishler v State, 660 N.E.2nd 343 (Ind App. 1996). UCEA
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Blackdog, I suggest you re-read the SCOTUS decision posted by Sgt CHP.

Certain states have placed restrictions on bounty hunters after some well-publicized mistakes. But generally, the have wide "arrest" powers.

Forcible entry into a house of a third person is prohibited to cops, as well, unless it's hot pursuit. Or, they have a search warrant.
                "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

A surety need not wait until you have skipped a court appearance to withdraw your bail or bond. All he needs to do is grab you up and bring you before the judge that set the bail, or another judge sitting in his stead.

Comment

They are regulated through our state l/e divison.

I pulled one over and got some crack cookies, marijuana, and an illegal sawed off shot gun from his trunk. He also had 4 other guns in the car but they were all legal. They are regulated, but it still seems like anyone can become one. I think they just get a license and bonding companies hire them. And if the state of offering an award for someome they will try and hunt them down...

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      A surety need not wait until you have skipped a court appearance to withdraw your bail or bond. All he needs to do is grab you up and bring you before the judge that set the bail, or another judge sitting in his stead.
                      True. A surety can go off your bond by (where I live) delivering you to the Sheriff's Office and cancelling his bond.

But it's the responsibilty of the guy who signed the bond to do so.

Comment

In seome states, cops can't serve a warrant on Sunday, or in certain hours of the night.
                        Really which ones? Also, please cite the specific statutes in those states that say that. Let's be clear, we're talking about ARREST warrants, not search warrants.
                        Cops can't trespss on a person's property without an arrest warrant or a search warrant, because of Ammendment 4.
                        Who taught you 4th Amendment law? Because whoever it was you need to demand a refund on any tuition and fees. Reference the open fields doctrine.

For your edification:
                        http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/c...nt04/04.html#3

You can demand a warrant for someone to enter your home, or even the curtilage, but not for the yard, even if fenced and posted.

They can (as they do on the movies) sneak up and look thru windows, (if they don't gt caught) tape them up and throw them in the trunk of their car, can enter private dwellings by subterfuge, etc. In otherwords they can do anything that would otherwise be considered kidnapping if it wasn't for their status as a bailsbondsman.
                        No they really can't, but it's obvious your understanding of the law, and reality in general is lacking.

Comment

Minnesota Statute 629.31

629.31 TIME WHEN ARREST MAY BE MADE.
                          An arrest for a felony or gross misdemeanor may be made on any day and at any time of
                          the day or night. An arrest for a misdemeanor may not be made on Sunday or between 10:00
                          p.m. and 8:00 a.m. on any other day except:
                          (1) when the judge orders in the warrant that the arrest may be made between those hours; or
                          (2) when the person named in the warrant is found on a public highway or street.
                          History: (10567) RL s 5226; Ex1971 c 27 s 46; 1983 c 359 s 128; 1984 c 433 s 1; 1985 c
                          265 art 10 s 1

http://ros.leg.mn/bin/getpub.php?pub...#stat.629.31.0

Comment

In New York an Arrest Warrant msy be executed at any time of day or night.....Search Warrants may only be executed between the hours of 6 AM and 9 PM unless the warrant expressly authorizes 24/7 execution.In New York, bail is not forfeited until 30 days after a missed court appearance, this gives the surety some time to bring in the body before losing his money.

Comment

Originally posted by SA13 View Post
                              Really which ones? Also, please cite the specific statutes in those states that say that. Let's be clear, we're talking about ARREST warrants, not search warrants.Who taught you 4th Amendment law? Because whoever it was you need to demand a refund on any tuition and fees. Reference the open fields doctrine.

For your edification:
                              http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/c...nt04/04.html#3

You can demand a warrant for someone to enter your home, or even the curtilage, but not for the yard, even if fenced and posted.

No they really can't, but it's obvious your understanding of the law, and reality in general is lacking.

Why are you being so nasty? Everyone knows about curtlidge and open fields, and this case had nothing to do with open fields. At any rate, very few arrest warrants are served in open fields, so your point is minimal.

Police cannot trespass on property to serve a warrant: this is true. In serving a warrant properly and legally, they are not trespassing. If you're going to pick nits, make sure you're wearing your glasses.

Read below your post and you will see examples of when and in which states warrant service is limited.

I see no need for your attitude, which is inexcusably rude and not even correct.
                              Last edited by Gene L; 11-03-2007, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Forcible entry into a house of a third person is prohibited to cops, as well, unless it's hot pursuit. Or, they have a search warrant.
                                I am fairly certain that is what my arrest warrant is.

How often does a Felon actually have his name on the lease where he lays his head? In my experience it's less that 10% of the time. Usually he is staying with baby-momm, mothers house. If it's on the warrant, then I can kick the door. I am not so sure that a "Bounty Hunter" can do that to a third party's residence based on the SCOTUS info posted.

Also I am fairly certain that "Bounty Hunters" have NO POWER over other subjects and locales. If I have PC to believe that a Wanted Felon is hiding in a residence (not listed on the warrant) I can freeze it down and apply for a search warrant. 99.9% of the time that is not necessary because I only have to explain that if they obsruct my investigation and harbor a Felon then they will also be charged with a Felony and they will be going to jail. I am fairly certain that "Bounty Hunters" cannot make arrests on fresh charges any more than any regular citizen.

Now Indiana throws an interesting wrench in the works because here a Citizen can make arrests on any Felony or Misdemeanor "Breach of the Peace" that occurs in their presence and are authorised to use reasonable force necessary to make the arrest. Then they simply hand the individual over to us. I am not entirely sure if "Bond Recovery Agents" can trade hats and make a Citizens Arrest while they are working a skip.
                                Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 11-03-2007, 09:59 AM.
                                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3743 users online. 250 members and 3493 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X