Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when you see someone driving like an idiot...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-1
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
    For an Infraction here all I have to do is write the Citation just like I stopped the driver, and write "Send Summons" over the court date. Drop that ticket and the Court will send a "nasty gram" to the driver to appear in court or pay the fine.
    I wish we had it that easy. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Blackdog F4i
    replied
    Originally posted by L-1 View Post
    I can't remember anyone ever being able to get a prosecutor to issue an arrest warrant for an infraction and the effort necessary to try and identify the driver of a car based on a license plate, then write a report, meet with a prosecutor and get a judge to sign a misdemeanor warrant for a traffic offense is so time consuming that it takes us away from handling more serious crime. I suspect most prosecutors and judges would laugh at us for wasting their time for a speeder or reckless driver.
    For an Infraction here all I have to do is write the Citation just like I stopped the driver, and write "Send Summons" over the court date. Drop that ticket and the Court will send a "nasty gram" to the driver to appear in court or pay the fine. Since it's a simple matter of running the plate and then running the RO's license and getting the physical descriptors I can generally make an educated guess on if it's the driver or not.

Generally though when I actually do take down the info (got to love cell phone cameras) and get to the office later for my regular shift I don't care enough to actually write the ticket.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    You Must Work For The Home Office

Originally posted by PC Plum View Post
    As a Police Officer you have a duty to do something about a crime you witness (on or off duty). It doesn't matter if it is a vehicle crime (driving offence counts) or any othr type of crime.
    However in all situations your personal safety and that of your loved ones is the No. 1 priority, followed by that of the public you serve.
    You make the risk assesment and decide what to do. Any measure from direct intervention, to noting down a description of the offender/vehicle will suffice.It's upto you and noone should criticise you as long as you have taken some form of positive action.
    Doing Nothing is NOT an option
    Bloody hell, that sounds like a lecture...hope everyone is stood upright with thier heels together reading this.......
    It may be different on your side of the pond (but after reading Inspector Gadget's blog for some months, I'm not sure).

If its a minor crime (especially a traffic violation) doing nothing is a very real option. In my state you can only arrest for an infraction or a misdemeanor when the crime is committed in your presence, or later on with a warrant. I can't remember anyone ever being able to get a prosecutor to issue an arrest warrant for an infraction and the effort necessary to try and identify the driver of a car based on a license plate, then write a report, meet with a prosecutor and get a judge to sign a misdemeanor warrant for a traffic offense is so time consuming that it takes us away from handling more serious crime. I suspect most prosecutors and judges would laugh at us for wasting their time for a speeder or reckless driver.

FWIW, I live in Southern California, which is comprised of several counties, containing over 100, side by side cities which are occupied by roughly 10 million people. If I tried to write down the license number of every vehicle I saw commit a serious traffic violation while off duty, then give it to the local jurisdiction and suggest that they try to identify the driver and obtain a warrant for his arrest, they would thank me politely and then call my captain and ask him if I forgot to take my meds today.

Leave a comment:

• PC Plum
    replied
    Doing nothing is NOT an option.

As a Police Officer you have a duty to do something about a crime you witness (on or off duty). It doesn't matter if it is a vehicle crime (driving offence counts) or any othr type of crime.
    However in all situations your personal safety and that of your loved ones is the No. 1 priority, followed by that of the public you serve.
    You make the risk assesment and decide what to do. Any measure from direct intervention, to noting down a description of the offender/vehicle will suffice.It's upto you and noone should criticise you as long as you have taken some form of positive action.
    Doing Nothing is NOT an option
    Bloody hell, that sounds like a lecture...hope everyone is stood upright with thier heels together reading this.......

Leave a comment:

• LeanG
    replied
    Originally posted by lsxowner View Post
    while you are off-duty, do you do anything about it. i get these kids driving stupid around town, racing, speeding, etc., and i was wondering if you guys, as off-duty leo's, take any action or just get out of the way?
    I get out the way. I am OFFduty in my POV, right?

Leave a comment:

• t150vsuptpr
    replied
    when you see someone driving like an idiot...

while you are off-duty, do you do anything about it. i get these kids driving stupid around town, racing, speeding, etc., and i was wondering if you guys, as off-duty leo's, take any action or just get out of the way?
    Depends ...

I may call a buddy who is working and see where he's at, etc.

I may call my dispatch and give a BOLO.

I most definately take note of the vehicle and tag and maybe the driver just in case I see him/her later and have a reason to stop, want to be sure I give no breaks then.

I have gone so far as to get a good look, look them up on duty, ID who the driver was, and secure warrants and then serve same.

I have called 911 or directory assistance and gotten connected to a state police or highway patrol dispatch when in another state and reported suspected DUIs, etc with great success.

Once, a fellow trooper and I stopped a felony hit and run driver from out of state after witnessing a PI hit & run, we chased and overtook him in my buddies personal car.

Leave a comment:

• JSD73
    replied
    Unless I'm in an area that I absolutely know has an officer that will respond quickly and not take their time, which is pretty much nowhere, then I do absolutely NOTHING!!

As long as my family is not in any life threatening danger, I will do as much as possible to keep it that way.

Leave a comment:

• Ten10
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    The point is...I will never jeopordize my family's well-being to enforce the law, even if it means leaving others at an unnecessary risk. I will take a lawsuit any day. If I intervene in something and someone close to me is injured because of it, I doubt I would ever get over it...bad people are going to get away, and that's something we have to realize.
    AAAAAMMEENN

My family is absolutely 100% priority #1 every single time. Sue me..I don't care, read my sig, I follow it everyday. When I'm off...I am OFF. I carry frequently off duty, and this is not to be a hero and save the purse snatch victim...it is to protect myself and my family. If I see something like others have stated, a DWI etc. I will call it in, but that is it.

Leave a comment:

• flash40
    replied
    Are officers allowed to install and use emergency lights/sirens in their POVs? I suppose that varies by state and agency.

I suppose it'd be easy to just have a little dash light, like volunteer firefighters. But with all the press about impersonators...people would probably be pretty wary of pulling over!

Leave a comment:

• Yankee_1
    replied
    Cell phones can be great or a real pain in the butt. when citizen call 911 for a speeding vehicle or "reckless" driver in just gets an "fyi" broadcast over the air. Dispatcher tells citizen not to follow vehicle. sometimes they want to see an officer. they dont get it that if we dont observe it we cant do anything about it. I laugh when someone "not to be identified" calls 911 and states that John Doe is driving a red explorer on Smith st. and he's unlicensed. gee i wonder if its a mad ex girlfriend?

Leave a comment:

• Blackdog F4i
    replied
    I HAVE made stops in my POV in instances were I was going to work or off-duty job in full uniform. Once I pulled up and pointed to the side of the road. Once I just followed the idiot into a parking lot.

One was stupidly reckless the other I though was REALLY Drunk (she was just stupid).

Indiana Law allows officers to make a traffic stop if they are in Full Uniform OR a Marked Vehicle.

If I am off duty in plainclothes I generally don't do anything.

Think about it this way. If someone was driving so recklessly as to pose a serious danger to others, how am I to safely make a stop in a POV with no emergency equipment that is NOT authorized to disregard traffic regulations? Should I cause an accident while attempting to do so, I would be in for some serious problems. Getting a plate number and calling it in is usually sufficient.

Leave a comment:

• TX Heat
    replied
    Short of calling it in I do nothing. Dept. policy states officers shall not concern themselves with midemeanor traffic violations when off duty.

Leave a comment:

• Queens Cowboy
    replied
    Mr Justice,
    Yeah, we are police 24/7 here but that doesn't mean we have to take matters into our own hands whenever we see someone driving like an idiot in traffic. We are not equipped most times while off duty to deal with a traffic stop should it go south (no portable radio to radio for help, no gun, OC spray, cuffs) so in 99% of the cases, I will just be a good witness for the on duty guys...

I don't know where you got the idea that we could kiss our careers goodbye by not getting involved with your hypothetical traffic scenario, but here it is from the horse's mouth...we would not.
    Last edited by Queens Cowboy; 11-02-2007, 01:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• just joe
    replied
    If I think it is necessary, I call the police.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I don't know about the U.S., but, in Canada, an officer is an officer 24/7. If you don't act and the injured party or their family find out, kiss your career good buy, not to mention a major law suit against you and your department.
    Can you post the statute on that one? I find it hard to believe. Not saying I WON'T beleive it......I just don't yet....

I'm on-duty when the meter is running. If they want to pay me to conduct routine patrol while I'm off duty driving to grandma's house, they're going to have to show me the money.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5897 users online. 338 members and 5559 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X