300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• take home squad

just wondering how many of you have take home squads and how you like it.... i take it then you day just starts when you get in your squad and hit the road? and i noticed here in mn the only squads i see at ppl homes are sheiffs cars is it the same for you guys?

Down here local PDs have take homes.
    You call into dispatch as you hop in your car on your way to shift briefing and you call out when you are home after your shift.
    My prior agency allowed use of the takehomes off duty to increase police presense in the community. We had to be armed and had to call into dispatch whenever we were using the cars. When using the cars off duty you were expected to be available for emergency calls.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

There's good and bad.

Good; don't have to go to the office and you can leave all your junk in the car.

Bad; people will stop at your house to ask a "cop question" on your day off. I've also had the tires slashed on my state rig when it was parked in my driveway.
      He who laughs last.......thinks slowest

Comment

I have a take home. It's great. Never had anyone stop at my house for a question. Saves a lot on gas.
        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

I have one and if I had a three car garage I would love it. I hate leaving it in the driveway. I have almost hit it many times with my POV. The basic patrol Deputy can only drive his.her car to work and back. U log on as ur car number while you drive to the station, a quck meet with the Sgts then log off and log back on as zone.officer assignment. Then log off at the end of shift and log on as car number to drive home. If you are on SWAT or ERT and on call you can take them anywhere.
          No Poly, No Statement, No Waiver; An Expert is someone who does the basics better than anyone else.(unknown)

Comment

In return for being subject to call outs at all hours, I had an unmarked take home car for most of my career. It saved a lot of time responding to incidents.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Troopers and deputies here. Walk to work, mark on, on the clock. In nearly 30 years, have had maybe two local residents show up to ask a question, they were neighbors, it was OK. Had someone steal the lense off my red light on my 1978 Plymouth in the summer of 1979 about two weeks after I graduated, it was parked on a street in front of the house in Manassas where I rented a bed room short term before I moved into an appartment. No flats, and no vandalizing since, did come home from evening out one time to find that a couple neighborhood kids had washed it though, it was nice of them.

'Cept for the red light lense that one time, never ever a nagative, just all positive.
              "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

take home car

Take home cars are great as long as you have a place to park it out of public view. No more removing other peoples garbage at the start of shift is good also. I do miss having someone else to blame when its low on gas though. Only our investigators, bosses starting at lieutenant, and some of our specialty units ( k-9, scuba, mobile response team, and a few others) have take home cars in the NYSP.

Comment

Take home motor thats parked in the garage so nodody sees it is an awesome perk.

Comment

Take Home here,go in service when I walk out the door(or sometimes before ).Had a door knock one time,during Katrina,when my 82 y/o neighbor went down with heat stroke and there were no phones ,I was able to radio for an ambulance and he is fine,thankfully I had the take home.
                    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

No takehome yet. Too many officers have been wrecking our line cars. No takehomes to give out.

The procedure is still the same. Drive to Roll Call. Checkout computer and special equipment. The only difference is you don't use your own gas and you don't have to loadout all your personal gear.

Since I drive a Dodge Durango with a 5.9L, just not paying for gas to drive across town to HQ would be worth it.
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

My whole department has them and the troops in my county too. All the city PD guy take theirs home as well. I love it. Mine had always been parked in view and except for the occasional bit of trash never a problem.

Comment

We all have take homes. We don't have to advise when we are en route to briefing or when we get home. You do still have to go to broefing though. We can't drive it for personal stuff and if we are in a marked car you must be in full uniform.

It's nice having a UC car now b/c I can wear whatever I want =)
                          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Our department has them. You can drive them off duty unless you are going to be drinking or at a bar. I have not had any problem with parking my car in the driveway or street except for the neighbor's kid who backed into it. I live on the very edge of town almost in the county and it saves me a whole bunch of money on gas getting to drive the car around town.

The only down side I experience is when i have to stop and take care of traffic accidents while off duty.
                            The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
                            -Neal Boortz

Comment

I have an unmarked take home. It is like having a car without the expense. No bank note, no insurance, no maintenance, no gas. We can use it off duty also. When I was on the road, it was the same thing. We did not have pre shift meetings so I started my shift from the driveway. Not a real long commute to work. I think it is great becasue you will treat the car like you own it and take better care of it.
                              If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4242 users online. 229 members and 4013 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X