300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest experience in academy?

Hello everyone, new guy here. Just had some questions if you don't mind. I am 24 and trying to persue a carrer in law enforcement. Currently I work for a Federal Agency and am a TSO (transportation security officer). Hopefully I can move out from here and start doing the job I have always wanted. I am still debating on local le or federal siince I am already in the system.
    I am curious about some of your experiences in the police academy. What was the hardest thing to get use to? And what was took the most effort in your time there?
    I just got back from a ride along with a local deputy and he said his hardest part was the pt every morning. So I imagine that is probably going to be a popular answer. Thanks for all input and any advice.

By far the hardest part for me was endless hours of sitting in lecture.

Comment

For me, believe it not was being away from my wife and kids. I was only twelve miles away but could not leave. I had never really been away from them in my entire marriage. (22 years) That was rough for me. After a couple weeks, it wasn't to bad. Thats what I hated the most. The rest was all gravy, basically playing the game.
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hardest experience in academy?
        Getting up at "zero dark thirty" 5 days in a row for a change.

I got over it after awhile.

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Staying awake and not laughing at the people who thought it was hard.

PT was geared towards the lowest denominator, as was the physical hasing. I was in good shape when I went, so no big deal.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Not beating the rear ends of the guys that thought I was "too girly" to make it. I listened to six months worth of their crap...then I graduated at the top of my class, was the first to get a job, and I'm still in it..guess who's laughing now.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I think the hardest part for me was the PT at the beginning of Defensive Tactics. I wasn't in the best shape when I started the academy. After a few weeks, it was a breeze. Then it was the sitting in a classroom for hours on end listening to someone read out of a book.
              Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God. - Matthew 5:9

Comment

IT was the screaming in your face and making you feel like a piece of crap, the running till you puked, the exercises that were designed to inflict pain rather than physical fitness, the long hours of class room after few hours of sleep, room inspections at O'dark thirty, GI Night where we had to clean spotless from top to bottom the entire academy on Thursday night and no sleep until it was done.....umm.....pretty much the entire 16 weeks I spent there.

Comment

Nothing really, but I do hate PT.

Comment

I guess it is all going to depend on your background.

My first day at the academy one of the Instructors pulled me aside and told me he knew that this would be nothing to those of us who had been in the military, and to just play along.

If you have never dealt with adversity in your life, then it may be difficult to adapt. If you have already found out that your mind can push your body WELL past physical pain, then there isn't much the world can do to you.

Just make sure you are excellent shape before you go. Good physical shape keeps your mind sharp as well.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I got to be the butt of several jokes, thats always a little rubbing- the hardest hour I had was the pepper spray- man alive that ate me up. the hardest course was def tactics- not because of what it consist of, but simply because I was sore at the end of the day. The academics, wasnt hard at all for me- p/t could have been harder. the one course Im most afraid of forgetting? CPR/First responder. It was a bit to learn, and I dont want to forget it- but its least used.
                      Updated on: 12/28/09

Comment

Blackdog- What branch were you in? I should probably know this from your avatar, but I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbus View Post
                          Blackdog- What branch were you in? I should probably know this from your avatar, but I don't.
                          LOL...that would be the EGA (eagle, globe, and anchor)...US Marine Corps
                          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Thanks Smurfette, that was my hunch. Ah well, I guess I'm just military ignorant.

Comment

It had to be the physical aspect of it. I can run low 9min 1.5 miles, do 100+ push ups and I have always been able to knock out at least 60 sit ups per minute, but I hurt for the first 14 weeks...

The PT was designed to weed out the weak. After 1.5 hours of PT in the morning, 2 hours of DT, and then being smoked for anohter 1.5 hours in the evening between 6:30- 8:00pm everyone was beat down. Half my class was prior military and it kicked everyone's butt. We had a guy who did 320 pushups (untimed) and they would keep us in the front lean and rest until he caved in and trust me that took forever!!! I hate even talking about it!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5672 users online. 301 members and 5371 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X