300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of confused

Iam getting kind of confused with this. I got a ticket for driving at night when I was 17, I didnt have my full license yet and I got a ticket for driving after 9 ( was pulled over for speeding but I wasnt a punk so he didnt give me a ticket for it). I went to court and pleaded guilty cause I was . So I lost my licesne for a month and had to pay some $150 fine...anyways Iam almost 19 now and I know thsi girl who got a ticket for the same thing, but she pleaded innocnet and got it reduced to $75 and thats it, she didnt lose her license for a month.

My step dad told me to pleade innocnet but then I thought I would habe had to defend myself infront of a judge (never had a ticket before this) with like evidence that I wasnt drivin after 9.....but I was guilty of it so I said I was guilty....

Well now I have to go to court for talking on a cell phone while driving, Should I pleade innocent to get the punishment lower? or isnt that just lying cause Iam not innocnet I was talking on a cell phone? I just dont get how it works

The simple answer is pay your fine and get on with your life. The more complicated answer is maybe. It depends on the judge, and the judge can set your fine higher or lower based on any critereria they see fit to use. At least here the judge almost always sets the fine higher.

If it was me, I'd just pay the fine and move on. If I couldn't pay the fine, I'd show up in court and plead guilty but request a reduced fine based on (whatever you think you have that deseres a reduced fine, inability to pay, etc) or community service instead of a monetary fine, etc. Just know you are essentially gambling when you take the traffic court route.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Ahhhhh.....19. Hold on a minute. I'm getting ready to cry.

Okay. I'm over that. At 19 you might think everything in the system should have a semblence of order and reason to it. It doesn't. Get used to it. It's arbitrary and capricious. Sort of like life itself. You're doing the right thing by entering a guilty plea if in fact you are guilty. Move on and sin no more. Don't beat your head against the wall trying to figure out out the inequities. You'll go nuts.
      sigpic
      Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
      And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Pay your fine and move on, the best thing you can do is stop breaking the vehicle and traffic laws and you wouldn't be in this situation. Everything depends on the judge from day to day. If you go in expecting a break and don't get it, then your ****ed. Go in plead guilty and maybe, just maybe the judge will be nice, but I doubt it. Cellphones are becoming a huge problem and a source of a lot of accidents. Just do what your suppose to do when your suppose to do it.

Comment

Pay your fine and move on, the best thing you can do is stop breaking the vehicle and traffic laws and you wouldn't be in this situation. Everything depends on the judge from day to day. If you go in expecting a break and don't get it, then your ****ed off. Go in plead guilty and maybe, just maybe the judge will be nice, but I doubt it. Cellphones are becoming a huge problem and a source of a lot of accidents. Just do what your suppose to do when your suppose to do it.

Comment

Props on manning up and pleading guilty. The girl may have gotten a break because of the fact that on your junior license, it does get suspended for a period of time when you get a ticket. They may have worked something out for her to plead guilty to a lesser offense to keep her license from being suspended. You pleading not guilty to something that you ARE guilty of doesn't mean you will get a reduction. Call the police department you got the ticket from and see if they have any sort of reduction program where you write a reduction letter requesting a reduction. Doesn't guarantee anything though.

Comment

young lad

Originally posted by Ev1xx10n View Post
              Iam getting kind of confused with this. I got a ticket for driving at night when I was 17, I didnt have my full license yet and I got a ticket for driving after 9 ( was pulled over for speeding but I wasnt a punk so he didnt give me a ticket for it). I went to court and pleaded guilty cause I was . So I lost my licesne for a month and had to pay some $150 fine...anyways Iam almost 19 now and I know thsi girl who got a ticket for the same thing, but she pleaded innocnet and got it reduced to $75 and thats it, she didnt lose her license for a month.

My step dad told me to pleade innocnet but then I thought I would habe had to defend myself infront of a judge (never had a ticket before this) with like evidence that I wasnt drivin after 9.....but I was guilty of it so I said I was guilty....

Well now I have to go to court for talking on a cell phone while driving, Should I pleade innocent to get the punishment lower? or isnt that just lying cause Iam not innocnet I was talking on a cell phone? I just dont get how it works
              I commend you for actually noticing how guilty people plead not guilty all the time in court and even admit there guilt in testimony after they pead not guilty! In 14years ive always wondered why I never saw a judge call people on that. There is the way it should be and the way it is and judges are all lawyers so to them unfortunately it's not as simple as guilty or not guilty there is also guilty but i have an excuse plea so i'll plead "not guilty". The way people "should" plea is "guilty under mitigating circumstances" or "No contest" then get to tell their story. Thats what judges should be telling people though not cops. We not only do everybody elses job in the world we also do the judges job for them as well. That's how it works.
              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Pay the fine and move on. On your own admission you are guilty. So far you have proven yourself to take responsibility (by paying your fine the 1st time) dont stop now. Too many people are selfish and self centered. Not owning up to their mistakes. Set yourself apart and keep doing the right thing. And also obey the traffic law. I commend you.
                John 3:16

Comment

I planned on pleading guilty. I was just confused on how some people plead innocent. Basically if you think you have some good excuse you plead innocent

Thanks for the responses

Comment

Plead not guilty and tell the judge that you were itching your ear with your cell.

Comment

Whenever you dont have mandatory sentencing guidelines you will have a difference in how judges apply sentencing. Some judges dont like certain laws and do their part to reduce the harshness of the law by reducing the fines/penalty. Others hammer people for knowingly violating the law. Its just part of the system..... if you committed the violation then plead guilty as you are. Maybe you will start a trend of people actually taking responsibility for their actions. Well....probably not but its wishful thinking.

Comment

Every judge here is different and you never know what you are going to get. One thing I do find with our judges is if you plead guilty and explain the circumstances, the judges tend to be lenient. Its the people that plead not guilty, go to trial, and they are clearly guilty (or admit guilt during the trial), the judges tend to be a little more harsh. I was in traffic court today and two of the cases were for people who ran a red light. The fee schedule calls for $140.00 and 2 points on your license for this violation.

The first lady plead not guilty and we went through the trial. The judge found her guilty and fined her the $140.00 plus court costs and reduced it to 1 point.

Later, second lady who did the exact same thing plead guilty. She explained to the judge that she was distracted by her child in the car and when she saw the light turn red, it was too late to stop. The judge admonished her for the violation but amended the traffic charge to Failure to obey a traffic control device (calls for $90.00 fine and 1 point). The judge then reduced her fine to $40.00 plus court costs and dropped the point.

The way I look at it is if you are guilty, then plead guilty. If you honestly and truly feel the officer was wrong, then you have the right to plead not guilty.

Comment

Kind of confused

You don't plead "innocent", you plead "not guilty". Basically, it's a crapshoot. If you're looking for equity or consistancy in sentencing, forget it. Two questions you might consider asking yourself.
                          1) Why was it neccessary to violate my driver license restriction?
                          2) Why was it neccessary to talk on a cell phone in violation of the law?
                          Don't answer the questions here, just think about them.

Comment

I planned on pleading guilty. I was just confused on how some people plead innocent. Basically if you think you have some good excuse you plead innocent

Thanks for the responses
                            This is not true. You plead not guilty IF you DID NOT commit the violation. Having a good excuse for breaking the law is not grounds for pleading not guilty, nor is it grounds for automatic dismissal. If there are extenuating circumstances that you deem are important to the incident, you should plead guilty with an explanation. That way you are admitting the violation, but the judge will allow you to explain the circumstances. Iv'e had this scenario in court hundreds of times. Sometimes the judge dismisses the charge, sometimes reduce the fine/withhold the points. Point is, you have the opportunity to own up to the mistake, and still get the benefit of the doubt.
                            John 3:16

Comment

I planned on pleading guilty. I was just confused on how some people plead innocent.
                              Cause they're scumbags with no morals.
                              If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9573 users online. 451 members and 9122 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X