300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thin blue line stickers

does anybody give any preferential treatment to drivers with the thin blue line stickers displayed on their vehicle?

I actually pay special attention to them, but not for the reasons you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by cristal View Post
      does anybody give any preferential treatment to drivers with the thin blue line stickers displayed on their vehicle?
      Nope....any idiot in the world can buy them on ebay.........

Comment

Yes, I do.

I dont write a lot of tickets, Id much rather give a warning and get to know people a little, be friendly, and so on. If im going to give a warning, ill deffinatly give one to someone who has one of those on their car. Even though anyone can by them, the person I stop could be a mother, father, son, daughter, brother or sister of a police officer, dispatcher, or any other profession.

However, if I stopped someone who had one, but had multiple arrests or multiple DWI convictions, someone who clearly didnt respect the law, then I would have a different approach.

If I run someone who has a clean record, and supports law enforcement, ill happily give them a warning. They might be a dirt bag who thinks they get out of tickets, And if they lied to me, so be it, luckily I dont have that big of an ego in this profession.

But id rather take that chance and give him a warning than get a call from a cop in a neighboring town that I wrote his father a ticket.

Comment

Not only are they easy to buy, I have seen old ones on vehicles that were recently purchased (i.e. former owner left it on the car when they sold it).

Back in my patrol days, I stopped so people with DARE, literally a dozen "police supporter 200X" stickers, etc. with warrants, drugs, etc. in their car. Getting a free ride to jail was the extent of their courtesy.

If someone has something outside of their car (i.e. FOP *ACTIVE MEMBER* sticker, thin blue line sticker, etc.) identifying themself as being associated with LE, they should always have something inside their vehicle to back it up such as their badge/id or creds...

Comment

Yea-works great, I would never stop a car with a "thin blue line sticker"
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The only thing that gets someone out of a ticket with me, is a badge and law enforcement credentials. You will find that most "real" cops don't even display the "thin blue line" on their personal cars anymore simply because anyone can get their hands on one and they have lost their meaning over the years!!
              "if i've got to turn around....catch all the way up with you and cut on the lights.....somebody's gotta pay the light bill"...

Comment

Originally posted by 10 FORTY 3 View Post
                You will find that most "real" cops don't even display the "thin blue line" on their personal cars anymore simply because anyone can get their hands on one and they have lost their meaning over the years!!
                That may be kind of true, but I have a small one on my car and my non-LE friends and relatives ask me what it means.

Of course cops have to judge on a case by case basis, but I've had several occasions where a marked car would come up from behind and while stopped next to me at a light, the cop would nod. I guess you'd have to see me in order to quickly come to the conclusion that I don't look like a kid or EDP playing cop.
                I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

If it is an actual LEO driving the vehicle, then I would exercise discretion as with other LEO's in most circumstances. If it is not a LEO, then I write them a ticket. The stickers, before copied by everyone, were meant for LEO's only. In my book, they're still meant for LEO's only. If you have one and your not an officer, then prepare for a ticket.
                  I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

CA cops don't put anything that could ID them as a cop on their car. Thats a fireman thing. We do however get confidential plates which when ran show the PD we work for instead of our address.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                      CA cops don't put anything that could ID them as a cop on their car. Thats a fireman thing. We do however get confidential plates which when ran show the PD we work for instead of our address.
                      Agreed, never could understand all that FOP stuff...

EDJ
                      "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                        The plate idea is a good one, wish we had that here.
                        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
                          The plate idea is a good one, wish we had that here.
                          In MO....you can fill out a simple form....get it to the state....they verify things....and when your plates are run.....it comes up, "Not on File." If you want to get more info....you have to go through DOR....

The only thing that sucks about that is that if your insurance company is trying to get info about your vehicle....they can't get anything.....and for a few companies....that ticks them off.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            In MO....you can fill out a simple form....get it to the state....they verify things....and when your plates are run.....it comes up, "Not on File." If you want to get more info....you have to go through DOR....

The only thing that sucks about that is that if your insurance company is trying to get info about your vehicle....they can't get anything.....and for a few companies....that ticks them off.....
                            Any problems when out of state, and PD thinks you forged your plates?

Comment

Originally posted by shillxsh View Post
                              Any problems when out of state, and PD thinks you forged your plates?
                              Nope.....plates just come back "Not on File" and they give you a number in Jefferson City to call if you want further info.........

If you call the number, one better have a good reason to do so.......as I have heard the MSHP will want to chat with both parties......especially the one calling and asking if someone is a LEO or not.....

You show badge/ID....and told to slow down.....and off you go....

Of course, I wouldn't know that.....that's just what I have been told.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4451 users online. 278 members and 4173 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X