300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog line - what is it?

I have an idiot question. My mom and I were driving down the highway and she was pulled over by Arizona Highway Patrol. He was very nice and asked her if she knew why he was pulling her over. He said she "crossed the fog line" on one occasion and that she was drifting (she was, too. I had just got done warning about five minutes before that she needed to pay attention to her driving or else she was going to garner undue attention from the HP) in the lane. After determining that mom wasn't tweaking on speed or drunk or having any health issues, gave her a written warning and sent us on our way. My main question is what the heck is a "Fog line"? I have not heard that term before.
    R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
    I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Fog lines are the white lines on the sides of the road.
    summer - winter - work

Comment

Specifically, the solid white lines on the outside right edge of the lane. Its called a fog line because its primary use is to assist in finding ones lane in poor visibility situations.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Thanks guys, I told my mom that's what I thought it was, but I like to make sure I have my facts straight!

Kieth M.

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, where in Arizona did this happen?

Comment

In Michigan it's considered a "traffic control device". You can be stopped for going over it or "drifting"/crossing it and be written up for failing to obey a traffic control device. A lot of people ,usually drunks or nodders(sleepers), will cross it periodically but others will ride the shoulder of the road like it's another lane.
            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

This happened on I-10 near Bapchule (just outside of Casa Grande).

This was kind of a wake up call for me about my mother and her driving skills. She thinks that she is a fabulous driver. For the most part she is a darned good driver - doesn't speed, yak on cell phone, doesn't ride the bumper of the car in front of her - but lately I have been wondering about this newfound trait of hers of "riding the shoulder" when we are driving to work and what not. Is this something that older people do frequently? Should I in all seriousness have her reconsider her driving ability?

Kieth M.

Comment

This is hilarious.......to me at least.......I was riding with my partner and he made the comment about fog lines being painted in the district. I had no idea....in 34 years of my life what a fog line was.....he looked at me like I was an idiot and I coulnd't stop laughing when I found out what it was. Hell, I thought it was a line made by the fog. lol
                Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by katzeyze View Post
                  This happened on I-10 near Bapchule (just outside of Casa Grande).

This was kind of a wake up call for me about my mother and her driving skills. She thinks that she is a fabulous driver. For the most part she is a darned good driver - doesn't speed, yak on cell phone, doesn't ride the bumper of the car in front of her - but lately I have been wondering about this newfound trait of hers of "riding the shoulder" when we are driving to work and what not. Is this something that older people do frequently? Should I in all seriousness have her reconsider her driving ability?
                  I always ride the "fog line" Because to many people ride the "center line"
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It is possible that she is having some vision or perception problem. It may be time for her to have her vision checked, before she has an accident and hurts someone.
                    The real problem with riding too far to the right, is the chance she will drift off the pavement. Typically, the driver then overcorrects, and rolls the car. As a volly firefighter, I have been to any number of these, some fatal. It's the most common cause of single vehicle rollovers.
                    Consider the DPS stop a warning sign, and use it as a lever to get mom's eyes checked.
                    And good for you for thinking ahead!
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                      It is possible that she is having some vision or perception problem. It may be time for her to have her vision checked, before she has an accident and hurts someone.
                      The real problem with riding too far to the right, is the chance she will drift off the pavement. Typically, the driver then overcorrects, and rolls the car. As a volly firefighter, I have been to any number of these, some fatal. It's the most common cause of single vehicle rollovers.
                      Consider the DPS stop a warning sign, and use it as a lever to get mom's eyes checked.
                      And good for you for thinking ahead!
                      What he said.It sounds like depth perception problems.My first wife and her mother had it,it can also lead to "Night" blindness.A trip to an eye doctor is definately suggested katz,.I am "older" and as I sit here with my "readers"on I will tell you it will be met with resistance.Because we all know that vision goes first,and I forget what is second in the aging process.
                      Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6465 users online. 377 members and 6088 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X