300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Military Experience

I am planning on enlisting in the Israeli Military next year.

I understand that many law enforcement agencies in the states look favourably upon military experience, what about foreign service? Is it possible that serving in military outside of the US will hurt my chances of being hired?
    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Federal, very possibly. Municipal, not likely. Good luck, and watch your tuchas!
    Against organized crime, internal affairs is my defensive hand; Intelligence officers are my offensive hand.
    The late William H. Parker, Chief LAPD 1950 - 1966
    |||
    Fir Na Dli

Comment

Serving in the Islaeli army won't harm your chances one bit. But I wouldn't expect veteren's credits either.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

There is a potential for problems. Section 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act states that U.S. citizens are subject to loss of citizenship if they perform certain acts voluntarily. These acts include:

1. Taking an oath, affirmation or other formal declaration to a foreign state or its political subdivisions (Sec. 349 (a) (2) INA);

2. Serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (3) INA);

3. Accepting employment with a foreign government if

(a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or

(b) a declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA)

You may want to check with the US State Department and see if doing this may result in the loss of your US citizenship.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Huh, who knew? (other than L-1, of course).

I could see serving in some armies as being a detriment. But Israel?

Comment

As L-1 pointed out, you could lose your citizenship for serving in a foreign military. That would obviously be detrimental to becoming a US LEO.

The citizenship issue is why if you join the French Foreign Legion you are given a Nom de Guerre and travel on French papers instead of your US passport. I seem to recall some US citizens serving as trainers with the Jordanian military and police with permission from the US gov't, so it may be possible to do so without losing your citizenship. Check into it before doing anything rash.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

As others have stated, you're going to have some potential long term problems if you serve in another country's army. I've got no objection to you joining the IDF, but if you do, plan on staying awhile, or possibly coming back to the US as a non-citizen. I know a guy whose son did 4 years in the US Marines and then went to live in Israel. Wait a minute, am I reading your profile correctly in that you currently are in Israel? Are you a US or Israeli citizen?

Comment

If you are not a US Citizen yet and you don't have the problem that L-1 listed and you join the army over there it won't count/matter in the US when you apply for a LEO job.At least it doesn't count for NYSDOCS.

I was in the navy overseas before i applyed ( i was not a US citizen back then) with NYSDOCS and they didn't want/needed that info.

Good luck
                PJ06
                Doing 25 yrs,8hrs a day
                Last edited by PJ06; 07-13-2007, 09:56 AM. Reason: I'm not a cop..i saw the title after i posted...i tried to erase my post but i couldn't..sorry
                ------------------------------------------------------
                The C.O song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xP3strmDw

Comment

Foreign Military

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  There is a potential for problems. Section 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act states that U.S. citizens are subject to loss of citizenship if they perform certain acts voluntarily. These acts include:

1. Taking an oath, affirmation or other formal declaration to a foreign state or its political subdivisions (Sec. 349 (a) (2) INA);

2. Serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (3) INA);

3. Accepting employment with a foreign government if

(a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or

(b) a declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA)

You may want to check with the US State Department and see if doing this may result in the loss of your US citizenship.
                  L-1's Post X-2. Even Isreal? Short answer is: Yes, even Isreal. As suggested, thoroughly research the implications your enlistment in the IDF might have on your U.S. Citizenship. Loss of that status could adversely effect many future career options, including law enforcement.

Comment

I know for a fact that, at this time, serving in the Israeli army will not cause you to lose your US citizenship...
                    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      Wait a minute, am I reading your profile correctly in that you currently are in Israel? Are you a US or Israeli citizen?
                      I was in Israel, I'm back in the states now. Haven't updated my profile, sorry for the confusion. US citizen. I'd consider applying for dual citizenship after the military, I'm not sure in which country I want to stay.

It's a 16-month enlistment, after which you can volunteer for a continuation.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue View Post
                        I know for a fact that, at this time, serving in the Israeli army will not cause you to lose your US citizenship...
                        Huh, who knew? (except for letshearit4blue, of course)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                          Huh, who knew? (except for letshearit4blue, of course)
                          Smartass lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4649 users online. 312 members and 4337 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X