300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How visible do you have to be for running radar

Just like the subject says.. How visible do you have to be as an officer (in car or out of car) while you run radar checking speeds?

Do you have to give a driver a reasonable amount of time to see you and correct their speed?

I have seen it both ways (depending on the agency) where officers will sit in the middle of the interstate and run radar to a few places here in town that the local police like to sit at where they are fairly obscure to see them.

Is the fact that as an officer you were "hiding" while running radar a valid defense if someone decides to contest a ticket?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. I did try searching for an answer but didnt find one that fit the best. Thanks

Originally posted by Jaguar57 View Post

Is the fact that as an officer you were "hiding" while running radar a valid defense if someone decides to contest a ticket?
    Sure. Go tell the judge you were speeding and the meanie old policeman didn't give you a chance to see him and slow down before he stopped you. I think the judge will be very understanding

Thanks Mr. Obvious, you're a lifesaver.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

.. it would only be on a agency policy basis but for the most part hiding and trying to catch you is the idea so I have not heard of any kind of reasonable chance to stop already breaking the law rules though

Comment

How visible do you have to be for running radar

Don't have to be visible at all............
        "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

You can hide or you can sit right out in the open you'll still write as many or few tickets as you want. When officers hide people assume that it's a speed trap but if you're not speeding there is no trap. It then becomes an officer sitting idle waiting for a call saving the tax payers money on fuel.
          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Just like the subject says.. How visible do you have to be as an officer (in car or out of car) while you run radar checking speeds?
            Not at all visible. When they invent a cloaking device, I'll be first in line to buy one.

Do you have to give a driver a reasonable amount of time to see you and correct their speed?
            No. They're supposed to be driving the speed limit anyway.

No.

Comment

Please dont think I am trying to justify speeding or that I received a ticket for speed and I am trying to get out of it. Im just trying to understand the aspects on how different officers/agencies conduct their radar operations since I have seen different of examples of both techniques.

Thanks for your answers so far.

Comment

Unless it has changed, California requires that the prima facie speed limit is justified by an engineering and traffic survey conducted within seven years prior to the date of the alleged violation, and enforcement of the speed limit involves the use of radar or any other electronic device that measures the speed of moving objects. I believe that it is still seven years with one exception.
                Retired

Comment

You have to be clear enough for the radar/lidar beam to do its work without disturbance from bushes, tree limbs, parked cars, telephone poles, etc.

All-in-all it is relatively difficult for an officer to completely hide from traffic to perform the duty. You may not be able to see him, but s/he can see you.

Also, traffic going in the opposite direction can usually see the officer; ergo, the officer is not hiding.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Heck you won't see me. My car is parked out of view and i run laser outside of my car. All you might see of me is my head as i peek around a building. I know it seems like alot of trouble, but i love the look of suprise when you pull behind them.
                    The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
                    -Neal Boortz

Comment

I have seen it both ways (depending on the agency) where officers will sit in the middle of the interstate and run radar to a few places here in town that the local police like to sit at where they are fairly obscure to see them.

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. I did try searching for an answer but didnt find one that fit the best. Thanks

I don't have to be visible at all. In fact I prefer to be totally invisible or hidden when I run radar. If another squad is in the area and I am hiding in a new spot I will send him a message to drive by my location. I will not tell him where I am at and I will see if he can locate me. If he drives by without seeing me then I know I did well.

I will not give anyone advanced warning when running radar. My goal is for them not to see me until I turn on the lightbar. One of the reasons I run radar is to catch drunk drivers. When I get ready to stop a speeding car I will also look for additional probable cause to put in the report so I will follow and watch the car for any other reasons to stop.

An officer "hiding" is a really bad reason to try and use in court to get off a ticket. I wouldn't even consider it because it simply won't fly.
                      Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

i dont understand the question i guess, what do you think speed limit signs are for , that is your warning. a ticket my follow if you do not obsereve.

Comment

"Up periscope"... We do enforcement via aircraft too. Plane flies so high it can't be seen. Answer is, obey the speed limit, and if you see someone running radar, he's not really running radar. He's trying to slow people down. There is a difference. In construction zones, we sit plainly visible to slow people down for the safety of the workers, and normally will only stop a violator that is going at a pretty good speed and does not slow down. Sometimes, for the safety of workers, it's better to be seen. There are other times when we run out of DOT trucks, when at a real problem area, and for enforcement.
                          As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

State laws vary. In mine, you have to be visible for 500 feet.
                            "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

We had a cloaking device.
                              The All New
                              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12098 users online. 505 members and 11593 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X