300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workplace Bullying

Normally I ask questions related to my novels but this isn't. I could really use some advice from a UK officer if possible. Here's the background I know.

Someone has had a minor workplace accident resulting in an injury, there's CCTV that shows the equipment at fault not the person. The person's direct manager and asst manager 'bully', in my opinion, the person by saying it's their fault and they'll be disciplined for putting in a claim, etc. until the person is so stressed they, as it's called in the UK, go off sick. I never heard the term in the US but in the UK a doctor can write a note recommending someone be given leave from their job without the person being fired if the cause is temporary.

Because this was stress related caused by the two managers, they were supposed to leave the person alone. But they continued to contact the person, the asst manager calling to say they had to have a face to face meeting to discuss whether or not the person would be disciplined or fired and he 'wanted the person's side in a written statement', calling to generally harrass, and possibly physically turned up at the person's home. I don't know if the last is true but have it on hearsay.

The tactics of the two managers heightened the person's stress levels until they began drinking again. The drinking spiralled out of control and the person ended up in hospital on life support. The hospital turned off the support yesterday; the person was gone.

My question is: The two managers harrassed and intimidated this person which resulted in their death. Do I report this to the police? I know harassment is unlawful under the Equality Act of 2010. But would the police take my claim seriously?

This isn't the first time the two managers had been accused of bullying and harassment of many of their staff.

Thank you.

Originally posted by 1Redhawk View Post
    Normally I ask questions related to my novels but this isn't. I could really use some advice from a UK officer if possible. Here's the background I know.

Someone has had a minor workplace accident resulting in an injury, there's CCTV that shows the equipment at fault not the person. The person's direct manager and asst manager 'bully', in my opinion, the person by saying it's their fault and they'll be disciplined for putting in a claim, etc. until the person is so stressed they, as it's called in the UK, go off sick. I never heard the term in the US but in the UK a doctor can write a note recommending someone be given leave from their job without the person being fired if the cause is temporary.

Because this was stress related caused by the two managers, they were supposed to leave the person alone. But they continued to contact the person, the asst manager calling to say they had to have a face to face meeting to discuss whether or not the person would be disciplined or fired and he 'wanted the person's side in a written statement', calling to generally harrass, and possibly physically turned up at the person's home. I don't know if the last is true but have it on hearsay.

The tactics of the two managers heightened the person's stress levels until they began drinking again. The drinking spiralled out of control and the person ended up in hospital on life support. The hospital turned off the support yesterday; the person was gone.

My question is: The two managers harrassed and intimidated this person which resulted in their death. Do I report this to the police? I know harassment is unlawful under the Equality Act of 2010. But would the police take my claim seriously?

This isn't the first time the two managers had been accused of bullying and harassment of many of their staff.

Thank you.
    NO, you would need to contact an attorney that specializes in Labor Law. Police would not be involved .
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Your best place to start is with whoever handles violations of labor law. I think there would have to be a pretty convincing string of evidence for this to go anywhere since the victim is dead. He can't be interviewed, deposed, or cross-examined.

Comment

I guess I'll never fully understand it. If an employer is so awful, why continue to work there? How much stress is the paycheck worth?

This is second hand drama! Unless the family of the deceased asked you to get it involved, just write your books and let the family handle it. If you want to be helpful, tell them to talk to a lawyer, barrister or what ever you all call them over there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3657 users online. 199 members and 3458 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X