NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DQ twice from 2 different agency

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DQ twice from 2 different agency

    Back story.

    With agency 1, submitted background packet, assigned a BI and did my polygraph but failed. During the polygraph, there was an issue that came up regarding one of the question that happened 9 years prior and I brought it up. The polygrapher asked why i didn't put it in my background packet, I didn't put it in my background packet because I didn't remember it until then, or atleast some details and that affected the outcome. They asked me to write a hand written letter about what happened on that same exact day, date and assigned and submitted to my BI. I was nervous and tried to remember as much detail as I can regarding what happened.
    As soon as I left the building, I went and backtrack to find out exactly what happened. So I dated a girl who was 17 and I was 19, I'm 28 now. So the incident happened 9 years ago. I spoke with the girl and after a few minutes in, everything started coming back. We dated for a month but I broke up with her after I found out that she was 17, unfortunately we did had sex. It was consensual, no drugs or alcohol was ever involved. After figuring everything out, I realized that I have set myself.up for failure by submitting that hand written letter and signing it because what I wrote wasn't the truth. Fast forward a week later, received an email back saying I was permanently disqualified.

    Agency 2. Filled out my background packet, i was assigned a BI, he was saying that he's just waiting to get an answer back from the previous agency why I was DQ, I explained to him what happened, he scheduled me for a background interview then i received an email one week prior saying I was disqualified also but they would like to have me apply for other positition within the agency.

    Background about myself. 28, in good healthy shape. Been in the Army National Guard for 8 years now as an Infantryman. Never been convicted of any crime or felony, never done any drugs or sell them. Good credit score, I have 1 speeding ticket in the past 5 years. Never had issue with the law.

    My question pertaining to this post is, what chance do I have on pursuing a career in LEO. I'm currently in the background investigation with a 3rd agency. Should I be expecting the same result.

    Thank you in advance.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Pupil121 View Post
    Back story.

    With agency 1, submitted background packet, assigned a BI and did my polygraph but failed. During the polygraph, there was an issue that came up regarding one of the question that happened 9 years prior and I brought it up. The polygrapher asked why i didn't put it in my background packet, I didn't put it in my background packet because I didn't remember it until then, or atleast some details and that affected the outcome. They asked me to write a hand written letter about what happened on that same exact day, date and assigned and submitted to my BI. I was nervous and tried to remember as much detail as I can regarding what happened.
    As soon as I left the building, I went and backtrack to find out exactly what happened. So I dated a girl who was 17 and I was 19, I'm 28 now. So the incident happened 9 years ago. I spoke with the girl and after a few minutes in, everything started coming back. We dated for a month but I broke up with her after I found out that she was 17, unfortunately we did had sex. It was consensual, no drugs or alcohol was ever involved. After figuring everything out, I realized that I have set myself.up for failure by submitting that hand written letter and signing it because what I wrote wasn't the truth. Fast forward a week later, received an email back saying I was permanently disqualified.

    Agency 2. Filled out my background packet, i was assigned a BI, he was saying that he's just waiting to get an answer back from the previous agency why I was DQ, I explained to him what happened, he scheduled me for a background interview then i received an email one week prior saying I was disqualified also but they would like to have me apply for other positition within the agency.

    Background about myself. 28, in good healthy shape. Been in the Army National Guard for 8 years now as an Infantryman. Never been convicted of any crime or felony, never done any drugs or sell them. Good credit score, I have 1 speeding ticket in the past 5 years. Never had issue with the law.

    My question pertaining to this post is, what chance do I have on pursuing a career in LEO. I'm currently in the background investigation with a 3rd agency. Should I be expecting the same result.

    Thank you in advance.
    Saved.

    Comment


    • #3
      The age of consent in Arizona is 18. That means that people under 18 are not legally capable of giving consent. So you having sex with a 17 year old was most definitely NOT consensual. Sex without consent is rape, which is a felony.

      The age of emancipation in Arizona is also 18. That means that people under 18 are children.

      No law enforcement agency is going to hire a child rapist to be a cop.
      Last edited by Aidokea; 12-01-2022, 05:41 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        So it makes no different that I found out about the girl age after compare to if I knew she was underage and still decide to date her.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pupil121 View Post

          ...did my polygraph but failed. During the polygraph, there was an issue that came up regarding one of the question that happened 9 years prior and I brought it up. The polygrapher asked why i didn't put it in my background packet, I didn't put it in my background packet because I didn't remember it until then, or atleast some details and that affected the outcome. They asked me to write a hand written letter about what happened on that same exact day, date and assigned and submitted to my BI.

          So I dated a girl who was 17 and I was 19...we did had sex.

          I realized that I have set myself.up for failure by submitting that hand written letter and signing it because what I wrote wasn't the truth.
          Explain...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pupil121 View Post
            So it makes no different that I found out about the girl age after compare to if I knew she was underage and still decide to date her.
            Your claim of ignorance of her age, does not magically give her the ability to retroactively give consent that she couldn't legally give anyway.

            And let's be clear- "dating" a 17 year old is not illegal in Arizona. An adult having sex with a 17 year old is illegal in Arizona.

            It's kind of academic anyway, because you lied, in writing, to the police, and lying is the kiss of death in this profession.

            Comment


            • Pupil121
              Pupil121 commented
              Editing a comment
              I was giving them the best information that I remembered at the time. I could've just stayed quiet and said nothing, but I didn't and I guess thats it for me.

              Appreciate for the input.

            • Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              You DID omit it, from your background SPH. That's how all this happened. And lying by omission, is still lying.

            • Pupil121
              Pupil121 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats where I messed up. Should've wait till I figure everything out first before signing off on it.

              I really do hope an agency give me the chance to explain myself and give me a shot.

          • #7
            During the polygraph, I brought up about what happened. Everything that I could remember. It has been 9 years since it happened.

            Me and the girl dated for a month, I never knew she was 17. When I found out, thats when I broke up with her.

            Comment


            • #8
              Arizona DOES have a "Romeo and Juliet" exception.

              Check her date of birth against yours- if there is no more than 2 years between you, then the felony child rape would not be an issue.

              But 2 years and one day, eliminates that exception.

              Unfortunately, the lying in and of itself, is enough to keep you from ever becoming a police officer anywhere in the U.S..

              Comment


              • #9
                Don't PM me. Anything you have to say, you can say right here.

                Comment


                • Pupil121
                  Pupil121 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I apologize, I'm new to this. I was trying to figure out how all of this works.

                  But I appreciate the input.

              • #10
                Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                Arizona DOES have a "Romeo and Juliet" exception.

                Check her date of birth against yours- if there is no more than 2 years between you, then the felony child rape would not be an issue.

                But 2 years and one day, eliminates that exception.

                Unfortunately, the lying in and of itself, is enough to keep you from ever becoming a police officer anywhere in the U.S..
                Except NYC, MDCPD…

                Comment


                • Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol.......

              • #11
                I've taken a few statutory rape cases here in CA. Usually it's mom and dad finding out their sweet 16 daughter is banging an 18 year old. I've never made an actual arrest, and all the cases I've submitted to the DA have been dropped. Here it's a misdemeanor unless you're more than 3 years in age and I'm sure every DA, judge and jury realizes it happens thousands of times a day.

                I doubt what you did in the past raised a whole lot of eyebrows. You're getting rejected because they think you lied or are hiding stuff in your past, even though you now "remembered" to include it in your background.

                Big question... If it hadn't come out on the polygraph, would you ever have told them? I'm sure that's exactly what they're thinking, along with whatever other skeletons are in your closet.
                ​​​

                Comment


                • Pupil121
                  Pupil121 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm currently in the background investigation with another agency and I did put that in there and detailed everything.

                  But yes, I see why it would make them think that I was trying to lie. I just wish that they had given me the chance to explain or even provide proof and retake the polygraph rather then DQ which then made the second agency DQ my application also.

                  Its been over a little 2 weeks now since I submitted my background packet to a 3rd agency. Hopefully no news is good news.

                  I appreciate for the input.

                • clof2001
                  clof2001 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think you're looking at a lifetime ban from being hired. But you have an uphill battle if what you're saying is truly what happened and there's nothing else going on. Just be up front with it with whatever agencies you're applying to, both about the relationship and failing the poly...background investigators don't like to be blindsided after they've been working on your file for 2 months.

                  If you don't get hired now it might take a some time before you're considered eligible, or there might be a department out there that may not be your first choice who is willing to look past it.

                • Pupil121
                  Pupil121 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've been upfront with the 2nd agency and the current one that I'm on right now. It just kind of sucks with the 2nd agency where they didn't even want to give me an interview and let me me explained. Is an uphill battle that I'm willing to fight. Coming from a third world country to America to joining the army and becoming a us citizen, now pursuing a career in LE. Never been an easy battle for sure.

                  Hopefully is just one of those times thing and some department are willing to give me a chance.

              • #12
                As mentioned, the issue with All omissions is that they were omitted; not so much what the omission was, but the fact that something was actually omitted,…….

                Comment


                • #13
                  What "third world country"?

                  Comment


                  • Pupil121
                    Pupil121 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    From Vietnam. Came here when I was 8

                • #14
                  Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                  What "third world country"?
                  Oakland, CA

                  Comment


                  • #15
                    Originally posted by clof2001 View Post

                    Oakland, CA
                    OPP Baby.

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 4725 users online. 246 members and 4479 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X