300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting Question

Hello all, I am just now attempting to get into the law enforcement field. I am 22 years old. I just graduated college with a Bachelor in Criminal Justice. In terms of experience I have a internship with my local Sheriffs Office. I am currently in the hiring process with a federal agency. I have an interview in late August. My question is, what are some certifications/training I can do to make myself a more competitive candidate? Any advice regarding any kind of entry level jobs or experiences that would be good for someone starting a career in law enforcement would be greatly appreciated. My other question is do most agencies like to have candidates with experience prior to the job or do they like candidates they can teach from the ground up? Thank you!

Originally posted by leobeginner68 View Post
    Hello all, I am just now attempting to get into the law enforcement field. I am 22 years old. I just graduated college with a Bachelor in Criminal Justice. In terms of experience I have a internship with my local Sheriffs Office. I am currently in the hiring process with a federal agency. I have an interview in late August. My question is, what are some certifications/training I can do to make myself a more competitive candidate? Any advice regarding any kind of entry level jobs or experiences that would be good for someone starting a career in law enforcement would be greatly appreciated. My other question is do most agencies like to have candidates with experience prior to the job or do they like candidates they can teach from the ground up? Thank you!
    Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

Comment

Most all Depts Nationwide are understaffed, if you can pass the basic requirements, you’ll be hired.

Comment

Originally posted by leobeginner68 View Post
        Hello all, I am just now attempting to get into the law enforcement field. I am 22 years old. I just graduated college with a Bachelor in Criminal Justice. In terms of experience I have a internship with my local Sheriffs Office. I am currently in the hiring process with a federal agency. I have an interview in late August.
        Don't give up if you don't get picked up right away. State and local departments are hiring like mad, but the feds not as much.

My question is, what are some certifications/training I can do to make myself a more competitive candidate?
        Continue your education. IT certifications can be earned quickly, and almost everything the feds do involves computers and the internet.
        Exactly which ones is up to you and your aptitude, but showing you have a knack for that could be useful.

Any advice regarding any kind of entry level jobs or experiences that would be good for someone starting a career in law enforcement would be greatly appreciated.
        A 2-3 year military enlistment will give you valuable life experience... but what I would do in your shoes is the US Army CID direct accessions program:

Criminal Investigations Special Agent | goarmy.com

https://www.cid.army.mil/militaryagents2.html

Alternately applying to a local agency would give you a few years of experience.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Don't give up if you don't get picked up right away. State and local departments are hiring like mad, but the feds not as much.

Continue your education. IT certifications can be earned quickly, and almost everything the feds do involves computers and the internet.
          Exactly which ones is up to you and your aptitude, but showing you have a knack for that could be useful.

A 2-3 year military enlistment will give you valuable life experience... but what I would do in your shoes is the US Army CID direct accessions program:

Criminal Investigations Special Agent | goarmy.com

https://www.cid.army.mil/militaryagents2.html

Alternately applying to a local agency would give you a few years of experience.

+1000 on the above.
          If the Army had offered the CID direct accessions program when I enlisted, I would have been all over that.

They also had a great student loan repayment when I was in.
          Best of luck to you.
          Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 08-05-2022, 09:29 PM.

Comment

There are a crap ton of different federal agencies, so saying that you are in the hiring process with a federal agency doesn't mean much of anything since you could be applying for NASA Protective Services, federal fish and game, the FBI, and anything in between, each of which has a different mission and looks for different things in a candidate. No one expects a recent college graduate to have any experience besides some part-time college jobs and some internships. Arrests and judicial citations are a problem. Drug use may be a problem. Assuming that you have a clean background, present a professional appearance (suit and tie), shake hands if allowed, speak in complete sentences, and thank them for their time. Bring a copy of your resume to pass out. Research the agency and ask intelligent questions based on what you have learned from your research. Be able to state what you have done to prepare for the position.

Every state and local agency in the country is struggling to find recruits. If the feds don't pick you up, a local agency will (as long as you are a good candidate).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3225 users online. 212 members and 3013 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X