Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a huge difference between being an SRO vs being a school district Police Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
      SRO without road experience, is that possible?
      Inconceivable...

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
        SRO without road experience, is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
          …….So we need to work harder at the things we suck at……..
          Exactly this^^^^^^^

I HATED running in the Marine Corps., but guess what you do a lot of in the Corps.,……..RUN!

We’d run as a group EVERY morning, 3-5 miles, sometimes in shoes, other times in boots. I hated it, but I didn’t want to EVER be those guys dragging back in the rear, so I ran more than the others, afterwards, and by Default became a good runner, always near the front.

Some guys would say, “Yeah, but you’re a good runner”, and I’d have to correct them, “No, I run extra / more / harder, because I’m not a good runner, I just don’t want to be last!”

Most guys Didn’t understand the difference,……….

Comment

Originally posted by Fragela1 View Post
            That’s what the academy and FTO is for. Is called non certified for a reason
            You MIGHT be talking about a school district police department, which are not SROs.... or a school district security or safety officer, which also are not SROs.

A “School Resource Officer” is defined as: The school resource officer (SRO) is a carefully selected, specifically trained, and properly equipped full-time law enforcement officer with sworn law enforcement authority, trained in school-based law enforcement and crisis response, assigned by the employing law enforcement agency to work in the school using community-oriented policing concepts.

That doesn’t sound like what you’re talking about.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              You left out the part about sending teenaged girls to the office for micro/booty/Daisy Duke shorts, cropped/belly shirts, and hiking their little speed-bumps up to their collar bones to create and display unnecessary cleavage.

• tanksoldier
              tanksoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              At least when I was an SRO I didn’t get involved in non-criminal disciplinary matters. The last thing you need is an SRO getting drawn into a confrontation with a student where no law was broken. Plenty of videos of that on YouTube already...

• CCCSD
              CCCSD commented
              Editing a comment
              I used peer adjudication and punishment. Made a bunch of gang girls sweep The Quad. Wouldn’t fly today though…

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't know, tanksoldier, I've never been an SRO, I just knew one that spent an awful lot of her time on female student dress code violations.

School police officer v school resource officer? If they are short handed like the rest of us, I bet the distinction between the two will become not existent.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
              School police officer v school resource officer? If they are short handed like the rest of us, I bet the distinction between the two will become not existent.
              You can be a school district officer straight out of the academy. NASRO recommends at least 5 years patrol experience before an officer is selected for SRO and most states require a 40 hour course. Many departments require a bachelor degree so that the officer is on-par educationally with the school staff.

The SRO sometimes has to be a cop, but more often spends his time mentoring and interacting positively with students.

It’s a different mission and mindset than patrol, and usually your best patrol officers will NOT be the best SROs. I’m the perfect example of that... I wasn’t super successful as an SRO, but the guy who replaced me is great at it.
              Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-16-2022, 04:26 PM.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

This sounds like BS. Unless you are trained as, and have gained the experience of being, a Police Officer, you will not be much of a "resource" to the school staff, students, and the community.
                It is bad enough that USA schools NEED Police in them, but a half-assed security guard is of no use.
                #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                "Smile" - no!

Comment

Ha, Pete with a new Picture!

Comment

Especially after the school shooting in Florida, the assigning department needs to make sure that they assign an officer with balls, just not an old guy who wants to ease into retirement. Of course, with a nod to Uvalde, the chief himself needs a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragela1 View Post
                      I am currently applying to become a School Resource Officer (non-certified) now, the reason why I’m not going for regular police is because my sense of direction is extremely bad, so bad that I need a gps everywhere I go. Now, as a SRO I assume that sense of direction is not important because you’re only dealing with the school grounds. Am I correct?
                      Okay, we use GPS all the time. Like other guy said, stop making up disabilities.

Being an SRO is not always easy. Some people use it as a retirement gig or even ROAD (retired on active duty) to sit in an office and do nothing; my FTO was a total piece of crap who did it so she could finish her master's degree and promptly transferred out when she did.

YMMV but in a lot of places, SROs also do house checks for truancy, you may have to take a kid home once in awhile, you may respond to calls in the surrounding area if it's bad, plus the obvious of patrolling the school. God forbid another active shooter event and you don't have the sense of direction to find him and kill him?

Actually being a good SRO requires road experience especially with juvenile crime, domestic disturbances, and tactical training. It's not a place for rookies or young officers (especially in a high school).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3853 users online. 245 members and 3608 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X