300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Opinion

I'm in the market for my first duty gun. I know that everyone has their own opinion on which gun to carry for duty so I'd like to get those opinions. Let's make this easy and just list the top 3 guns and, if possible, why you'd choose those 3.

"Let him who desires peace prepare for war"
    Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum - Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"Therefore, I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."
    1 Corinthians 9:26-27

9mm? .40? .45? .357?

I carry Glock 17 9mm and love it.

1.) Glock 17 9mm
    2.) Sig Sauer (any, cant go wrong)
    3.) H&K .45

You should try out a few and decide for yourself. Everyone has their own perferences

Comment

Sig 226 .40 cal.

Comment

1) Glock 22 (.40)...little bit stronger stopping round than the 9mm

Honestly, not sure about the other two. I owned a beretta 92F before getting into law enforcement and it was a great pistol, but those are the only two I've ever used.

The Glock, due to its light weight, ease of use, and simple breakdown procedures, is one of the best guns in my opinion. I'm not a firearms instructor or expert in weapons in any way, but from using the Glock, personally I think it's a great gun.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

1. Glock 27 .40 Cal
          2. S&W Model 642 Revolver .38 Cal

I love the interchangeable parts of the glock 22 and 27 both are .40cal
          "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

Gun Opinion

Originally posted by TP Dynamic View Post
            I'm in the market for my first duty gun. I know that everyone has their own opinion on which gun to carry for duty so I'd like to get those opinions. Let's make this easy and just list the top 3 guns and, if possible, why you'd choose those 3.

I'm going to give you two weapons. I've carried both.
            1) Glock Model 22. .40 Cal S&W.
            2).Sig P-226.

I carried the Sig in 9mm prior to being issued the Glock. The only recommendation I'd make concerning the Sig, is to up gun to .40 cal.

Both are excellent weapons. It's great to have choices. It's even greater to have a choice between fine weapons.

Comment

BTW, the gun freaks are over in the Firearms Forum - you might get a wider response by posting the question there...

That said,

1. Colt Python .357 magnum - simply put, the most absolutely perfectly designed wheel gun on earth. $1,200

2. S&W Model 686 .357 magnum Like a good hammer, a great (if not as well designed as the Python) law enforcement tool. Good accuracy, balance, stopping power, weight, etc. and stainless trouble free finish. $400

3. Beretta Stainless 96 .40 cal. - Open slide, large capacity (in case you aren't the best shot) jam-free, easy breakdown and rebuild. $600

3a. The Glock 27 ain't bad either, I must say - and both it and the BEretta are equally priced - in fact - the Glock may be cheaper. $400

No matter what, nothing smaller than a .40 in an auto and .357 in a wheel gun.

Get some......
              The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Does your department have an approved weapons list or at least guidelines? Have you shot before? I'm guessing you're not a "gun guy" or you'd already be set in your religion of firearms and not asking us.

I'd say a Glock if your new to guns. It's simple to operate and maintain, very forgiving of neglect, and approved by pretty much every department.

I'm a fervent 1911 fan, but single action isn't always approved and they are a bit more demanding in terms of breakdown, maintenance, etc. I'm also a revolver fan, but again not every department is wheel gun friendly, plus reloads are trickier and more time consuming.

To boil it down, see what fits your hand, what you like to shoot, and give a realistic assessment to how much you are going to practice and how much time you'll dedicate to maintenance and go from there. Oh, and be glad you get a choice.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

1. 1911 .45 (if allowed)
                  2. SIG 220 .45
                  3. SA .45 XD
                  Why all .45? Because A) anyome who attacks me is more likely to look like the Incredable Hulk than Pee Wee Herman, and B) the .50's are too big to carry.

Check with your department for what is allowed. I still suggest you let them train you, gain some exposure to what others carry and why, and then make an informed choice. Then get some training, shoot a lot, and get more training!
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

1. 1911 w/ lite rail
                    2. 1911 w/ lite rail and LED light (brighter=better)
                    3. 1911 w/ lite rail and LED light (brighter=better) and proper gun+light holster
                    When your fun ends, my fun begins

Comment

The two guns I've carried are..

1. Glock 19 (9mm..compact version of the 17)
                      2. Springfield XD .45 (4" version)

I love them both and still use the 19 for off duty carry. Both are very accurate, but really the best option is what you shoot best. Glocks and Springfield XD's are very dependable and easy to clean. Love them both.
                      I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

1. 1911 Kimber
                        2. 1911 Wilson Combat
                        3. 1911 Les Baer

1911's Rule and I can only carry one off duty!!!
                        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Glock 22 .40 cal Or the S&W M&P .40 cal I have both but carry the M&P on duty. It's still a fairly new gun but I like it!
                          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

GLOCK - Guns by Mattel

Comment

Duty picks

Originally posted by TP Dynamic View Post

You have to look not only at quality with a history but also which manufacture has the best follow up warranty and customer service especially with L.E. issue's.

The model's are too many to decide on the top three so I'll go atleast with the top three products in atleast 40s&w or 45acp.

1. Smith and Wesson (M&P) or 40/45 series stainless slides w/alluminum aircraft frames.
                              2. Glock (22 or 21) or even the (20) in 10mm.
                              3. Sig Sauer P220 or P226 in 40s&w.
                              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3258 users online. 227 members and 3031 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X