Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Customs and Border Patrol

Greetings All,

I am considering a career as a LEO (state or federal I'm still dithering) when my hitch with the US Navy expires four years from now. I'm curious about what job opportunities are available to me in Customs and Border Patrol.

I have a four year degree and when I leave the service I will have had six years of military service. A friend of mine who was a Master at Arms (according to him he had guys who were veteran MAs fail to make it) told me Border Patrol is very difficult to get into, the written test in particular was tough for him.

Regards,

LoneRider

there are plenty of Jobs other then Border Patrol.
    1. ICE special Agent
    2. Deportation Agent
    3. Immigration Enforcement Agent.

check the website for info.
    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

The US Government hires most of the armed forces personnel. You have a great or better chance of getting hired than a civilian. 6 months prior to you getting out, start appling for some of those jobs at www.usajobs.opm.gov Hit the "series" tab and type in 1801 or 1802 or 1811 investigator series, or 0083 Police Officer series
      live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

Customs and Border protection isn't hard as far as I was concerned. I passed the written test, went thru the acadamy with no problem. It isn't even all that grueling physically.

Immigration is a longer course, probably no more difficult for tests and class work, but it is best if you have an apptitude for aforeign language as you will need to learn spanish.

Border patrol is a lot harder physically.

AS far as I know all three are currently hiring and running people thru their acadamy's. Getting a background clearance will probably take you a while.
        Nine months to a year. So start your application early before you get out of service if you can.
        Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

I was a Special Agent with Customs for 27 years (now I.C.E.). You would be a prime candidate for I.C.E., with a 4 year degree and service time. I traveled more than most (11 countries), worked in Boston, San Diego, and Tucson, had lots of fun, go to make a real difference. But, it's not the job for everyone.
          Border Patrol is an entry level job, the hard parts are Spanish, Law, and Shooting. It's ideal if you like being outdoors and working nights.
          No matter what agency, a 2nd language is an asset - Spanish, Arabic, or Farsi prefered.
          Look at the web sites, and better yet, stop by an I.C.E. office and ask to speak to the duty agent.

There are lots of other Federal jobs - National Marine Fisheries, National Park Service, Forest Service & Bureau of Land Management all have LEO and Investigator positions. Plus the usual alphabet soup - FBI, DEA, IRS, BATFE, and on and on.
          Nothing wrong with being a State, County, or local cop, but in the Federal jobs you can get to work anyplace in the country, if that interests you.
          Last edited by Sleuth; 06-25-2007, 03:31 PM.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Would anyone recommend taking a language proficiency test of some kind before I get out of the service. I imagine the results may carry over to any Department of Homeland Security job application.

I also hear that Border Patrol has a test to determine if someone can learn another language if the applicant is not a Spanish speaker. Is there anyone in this forum who's taken that test?

Comment

IF your agency wants you to prove you are proficient in a language, they will administer the test.
              I have heard the BP proficiency test is in an artificial language (Esperanto?). Never took it myself.
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2175 users online. 86 members and 2089 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X