300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handcuff Policy in Police Car

I have a question about an experience I had a couple of years ago. I was visiting family out of town and I was the passenger in a car accident. I was the only person that wasn’t injured and everyone else in the car went to the hospital. The officer at the scene said that he could drive me to my cousin’s house. Before I went into his car he told me that he had to search me and place me in handcuffs. I asked if I was under arrest and he said no, for everyone’s safety it’s policy that anyone that isn’t a cop or ride along must be placed in handcuffs if they’re sitting in the car. Not seeing a better option I followed everything he said. He told me to turn around and put my hands behind my back, cuffed me, searched me, and put me in the car. On the way to the house he pulled over to talk to another officer which took about 15 minutes, Overall, he seemed like a nice guy. He explained everything to me such as double locking the cuffs and telling me that he wasn’t going to put them on too tight. When he came back to the car he asked me how I was doing. I said that my right shoulder was hurting a little bit because of the position of my arms were in so he took a second pair of handcuffs and connected the 2 together so I had a little more room to move my arms around. We got to the house and he took the cuffs off and nothing further happened. Has anybody heard of this policy to handcuff someone who was given a ride in a police car? I’ve never heard of someone being put in cuffs that was not being arrested or detained. Is anyone aware of a department that has this policy?

That could as different as salaries across the country. At the least I'd pat you down for weapons and maybe just maybe have you sit in the front seat. Each department has its own program. And it could be different then the department next door.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by EC912 View Post
      I have a question about an experience I had a couple of years ago. I was visiting family out of town and I was the passenger in a car accident. I was the only person that wasn’t injured and everyone else in the car went to the hospital. The officer at the scene said that he could drive me to my cousin’s house. Before I went into his car he told me that he had to search me and place me in handcuffs. I asked if I was under arrest and he said no, for everyone’s safety it’s policy that anyone that isn’t a cop or ride along must be placed in handcuffs if they’re sitting in the car. Not seeing a better option I followed everything he said. He told me to turn around and put my hands behind my back, cuffed me, searched me, and put me in the car. On the way to the house he pulled over to talk to another officer which took about 15 minutes, Overall, he seemed like a nice guy. He explained everything to me such as double locking the cuffs and telling me that he wasn’t going to put them on too tight. When he came back to the car he asked me how I was doing. I said that my right shoulder was hurting a little bit because of the position of my arms were in so he took a second pair of handcuffs and connected the 2 together so I had a little more room to move my arms around. We got to the house and he took the cuffs off and nothing further happened. Has anybody heard of this policy to handcuff someone who was given a ride in a police car? I’ve never heard of someone being put in cuffs that was not being arrested or detained. Is anyone aware of a department that has this policy?
      You were arrested. I’m not believing your story.

Comment

I have never heard/seen this done before but I am not surprised. There's just shy of 18,000 LE agencies in the US and I'm sure there's 18,000 ways of doing something. Policy is either born from a "good idea" or in response to an incident/event.

Comment

https://www.odmp.org/officer/391-tro...ert-clodfelter

I attended Brett's funeral.

A year later, to the day, his widow committed suicide.

Nobody goes in the back of my car unless they're cuffed and searched.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
          https://www.odmp.org/officer/391-tro...ert-clodfelter

Nobody goes in the back of my car unless they're cuffed and searched.

Have you ever given someone a ride and were they in cuffs?

Comment

I search everyone who gets in my car. If they're in handcuffs, the only place they're getting a ride to is jail.

As stated above, every department has it's own way of doing things.

I also think there is more to your story.

Comment

Have you ever given someone a ride and were they in cuffs?
              Yes, and yes.

Comment

I've worked for a department with just that policy. I've transported passengers in handcuffs. It's perhaps not common, but there are agencies that do it.
                "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
                  I've worked for a department with just that policy. I've transported passengers in handcuffs. It's perhaps not common, but there are agencies that do it.
                  That’s one hell of a lawsuit and it goes against 4A Rights.

Comment

Has anybody heard of this policy to handcuff someone who was given a ride in a police car? I’ve never heard of someone being put in cuffs that was not being arrested or detained. Is anyone aware of a department that has this policy?
                    The Sheriff’s Office I used to work for had this policy.

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

False. The handcuffing is voluntary. Nobody is forcing them to get in the car, and there is no protected right to a courtesy ride.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                      Nope. I always explained to someone looking for a ride that there was a policy that required they they be searched beforehand and handcuffed during transport. I then asked them if they were ok with it. Some people were and got searched and handcuffed. Some weren't and were bidden to have a safe walk and a pleasant evening.

I'm not justifying it, mind you. I always thought the policy was likely another administrative overreaction to one unfortunate incident or another where an officer was killed giving someone a ride. To this day, I always search for weapons, but IMHO handcuffing should be discretionary and rarely if ever used in such scenarios.
                      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Nope. I always explained to someone looking for a ride that there was a policy that required they they be searched beforehand and handcuffed during transport. I then asked them if they were ok with it. Some people were and got searched and handcuffed. Some weren't and were bidden to have a safe walk and a pleasant evening.
                        When the officer explained the policy to me he said that I was not obligated to take the ride, but if I was going with him I must be in handcuffs for the duration of the ride. After I agreed to go with him, that’s when the cuffs went on.

I'm not justifying it, mind you. I always thought the policy was likely another administrative overreaction to one unfortunate incident or another where an officer was killed giving someone a ride. To this day, I always search for weapons, but IMHO handcuffing should be discretionary and rarely if ever used in such scenarios.
                        Yeah it definitely seems like it should be left to the officer’s discretion. Although in this day in age I don’t blame departments for having this policy in place. As long as everyone sitting in the car is wearing handcuffs then it’s only fair. It was a fairly new experience for me as I’ve never been arrested before. I guess if there’s a way to get the experience of being arrested while not going to jail this would be the way to do it lol.

Comment

I'm not handcuffing anyone unless I have probable cause. I tell people I'm not a taxi but if I do take a victim or witness anywhere they are only searched or frisked and put in the back seat. I got too much stuff to move from the passenger seat.

Just too much liability IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
                            I'm not handcuffing anyone unless I have probable cause. I tell people I'm not a taxi but if I do take a victim or witness anywhere they are only searched or frisked and put in the back seat. I got too much stuff to move from the passenger seat.

Just too much liability IMO.
                            I agree and so does my Sheriff

Like stated it will be widely different depending on the agency.

My agency does a lot of "transporting" of people off the roadway, especially in the winter. We take a lot of people a lot of places for other reasons also.

Arrestees/detainees are cuffed & that includes civil commitments . Others are not.
                            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4122 users online. 221 members and 3901 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X