300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law Enforcement careers for the people who cant become police officers

Ive got some possible DQ's that are going to make it difficult for me to ever be a policeman.. (one eye 22/300)

Do you have any suggestions for people like myself who want only to have a career in law enforcement but may not be qualified physically for a patrol officer? what the next best things?

Ron
    Im against picketing but i dont know how to show it.

Most department's have a ton of non-sworn jobs. We have Community Service Officers, who basically take reports and do over with calls all day. There's also dispatching. Your best bet is to call your local departments and see what kind of things they are hiring for, and whether or not you're qualified for them.

Comment

And you are not able to have lasiks? Perhaps you have Keratakonis?

How about a dispatcher?
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Does probation and parole have the same standards there?

How about firefighting or EMS? Emergency management?

Comment

Try Forensic Sciences. That's a great (sometimes gory) job and helps put guilty people away at least as much as a cop.

You can specialize in something like handwriting, fingerprints, blood DNA, blood spatters. So long as your vision is correctable.

GO FOR IT! Need folks with your enthusiasm in the profession.
          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Retail undercover security (plain clothes and you get to make arrests!)
            Station Officer - non sworn public mrelations stuff
            Dispatch / Communications - exciting and you get to tell cops where to go, how to get there and to "stand by" until you are good and ready!
            Lab Tech - you'll need a science degree but cool, gory stuff
            More as I think of them....
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by Gene L View Post

GO FOR IT! Need folks with your enthusiasm in the profession.
              thank you. i guess its not true what they say... you know.... you guys being pigs and all. :P

Im just not cut out for a desk job.

Anyone know the requirements for court security/bailiffs?
              Im against picketing but i dont know how to show it.

Comment

I believe the vision requirement for New York State Court Officer - Trainee is 20/40 corrected. The last test was given at the end of 2005/beginning of 2006 and the list is good for four years. As we take over more of the upstate counties from the local sheriffs, more positions for Court Officers will open up.

Comment

There is no uncorrected vision requirement (that I am aware of) in NH -- is your vision correctable?
                  summer - winter - work

Comment

There area also a ton of federal Intel Analysts jobs and Intel related carrers to choose from. Go to usajobs.opm.gov.

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                      Ive got some possible DQ's that are going to make it difficult for me to ever be a policeman.. (one eye 22/300)

Do you have any suggestions for people like myself who want only to have a career in law enforcement but may not be qualified physically for a patrol officer? what the next best things?

Ron
                      Corrections Officer

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8073 users online. 383 members and 7690 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                      X