300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty question

Are cops required to respond to situations when off duty? Im talking about if they see something happening illigally, are they required to take action, or are they basically in a civilian role, and can use their discretion.

All departments have regulations concerning off duty action. Depends on where you are, and the grade of offense.
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

I now live in the city I work for, so anytime I leave my apartment I carry my gun and badge.At my department we aren't required to do anything, and rather or not you get involved is your choice.

For instance, last week we had an armed bank robbery at the bank right across the highway from my new apartment. This happened the same day that I was moving into my new apartment. I was at my old place while it happened, however had I been at the apartment and listening to the radio, I would have definately thrown on my vest under my regular clothes, gotten my gun, and headed over there in my POV. I wouldn't have gotten directly involved unless I was threatened, but hopefully I would have been atleast able to see them and follow them.

However if I see something stupid off duty (like shoplifting), I'm definately not going to badge someone and take care of things.

Comment

In CA, when off duty, not required to get involved, though they can. Most would tell you not to get involved, just be a good witness and call it in.
        Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
        Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Off Duty

Originally posted by 1oldsarge View Post
          In CA, when off duty, not required to get involved, though they can. Most would tell you not to get involved, just be a good witness and call it in.
          There are some exceptions, but the proceeding post is some of the best advice you'll ever get.

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldsarge View Post
            There is a a sad story that happened to a deputy at my current station close to 30 years ago. He lived in the community here and was at a grocerey store with his 9 year old son when an armed robbery went down. The deputy drew his weapon, identified himself and attempted to stop the suspect. Without missing a beat, the suspect shot and killed the deputy's son. A while later (unkown how long after the incident) the suspect was caught and interviewed by our departments homicide detectives. The suspect said he knew if he shot the deputy's kid he would get away, simple as that.

This, if nothing else, should remind us to becareful in what we get into off duty, especially if our family members are with us. Be a good witness, don't get involved if you don't have to.
            Carpe Noctem

Comment

Unless there is some viable threat to life or limb you will not see me get actively involved. I will be the most professional witness I can be and provide the responding officers with great detail.

Now, if I see an officer in trouble, all of the above goes out the window and I will dive in to assist. That is when it becomes necessary to kick some A** and take some names!!!
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Are we required to take action? No, I am not. And unless I believe that it is a situation where my action will save a life or prevent someone from suffering serious bodily harm, then I probably will not take action. I am, however one heck of a witness.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5869 users online. 406 members and 5463 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X