Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant decide where to apply, im scared of a lot of departments and there support.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    sob153
    Forum Member

• sob153
    replied
    Not a good time to be a cop....almost anywhere. The time has been eroding over many years now. Defund, defund and defund has been the cry over the past 2 years. A lot of agencies are going 401 K and/or 457 b. No more pensions. Qualified immunity for honest mistakes are going away as well. Most everyone hates the police until they need help. Certain Departments are taking away crime fighting tools, such as a simple traffic stop, that can lead to bigger things. Be a firefighter. less dangerous than police and most loved by many.

Leave a comment:

• Winter_Patriot
    Forum Member

• Winter_Patriot
    commented on 's reply
    True, cities like Beaverton/Hillsboro/Tigard are basically Portland but slightly less weird. Twenty years ago, I thought that those cities were a bit more conservative than Portland, but that's probably not accurate right now. The people who want to live in Portland but can't afford to, they've started occupying surrounding counties.
  • Aidokea
    Forum Member

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    I don't know, man. They're country sheriff's departments, not city police departments. And if you're familiar with the Portland metropolitan area, you know that Washington, Clackamas, and Multnomah counties are basically just suburbs of Portland proper, so the population is still made up mostly of Democrats. And the Max is very capable of transporting Portland's problems into those suburbs.
  • Winter_Patriot
    Forum Member

• Winter_Patriot
    commented on 's reply
    Do you think it’s much better with Multnomah or Washington County? I’d applied to both before getting my current job. One of my classmates from college is a deputy with Washington County and says he regrets going there instead of a fire department.
  • Ofc.ORM
    Forum Member

• Ofc.ORM
    replied
    If you want to become a cop, apply. The job was never meant to be easy, but its still fun. Be smart and know your department policies, city ordinance and state laws. I can't think of a better carreer. But, I'm a Texas cop in a big city, your milage may vary.

Leave a comment:

• FormerPotato
    Forum Member

• FormerPotato
    commented on 's reply
    Well, I'm talking more about general public, not arrestees.
  • SOCAleo
    Forum Member

• SOCAleo
    commented on 's reply
    Great post, thanks for reminding me in that last paragraph of the "bigger picture!"
  • Aidokea
    Forum Member

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    Wow- you must have AMAZING Gerbil Voodoo...
  • Aidokea
    Forum Member

• Aidokea
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    I’m just curious that the OP is so “scared”…
    Yeah, that caught my eye too...

Leave a comment:

• NolaT
    Forum Member

• NolaT
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Agreed, if you're at all "Scared", you may need to rethink,......

Leave a comment:

• FormerPotato
    Forum Member

• FormerPotato
    replied
    I work in Southern California. I get way more people still telling me they support the police than people telling me to go **** myself on a daily basis.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    Shadowman

• CCCSD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    Senior Veteran

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

I hate to say it but, as a risk vs. reward equation, LE just doesn't add up anymore.
    yea, read my first post on this topic

Leave a comment:

• Bing_Oh
    Disinformation Officer

• Bing_Oh
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I don't know.............................we just had a fatal OIS where 5, yes FIVE officers fired on a guy running at them with a knife.

The Iowa Attorney General's office reviewed the Investigation by the Iowa DPS....................and cleared them in 16 days

This is the midwest....................and RURAL Midwest at that.
    Rural communities are, well, rural communities. They tend to be more supportive of LE in general in my experience (that's about 23 years in "small town policing" in the Midwest). It's not the big politics issues ("defund the police" and the like) that scare me, it's the small town politics. LE has moved to a very CYA mentality, even in small, rural communities. Too many admins are worried more about liability than they are about the guys and gals on the street. The benefits have taken a hit to the point that they're barely comparable to private sector (if at all), but you still have to work the weekends, holidays, swing shifts, and deal with the built-in stressors of the job.

I hate to say it but, as a risk vs. reward equation, LE just doesn't add up anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    Senior Veteran

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Well, at least those nice LE-supporting folk can mail you thank-you letters and fund your commissary account when you wind up in prison for doing your job.

I don't know.............................we just had a fatal OIS where 5, yes FIVE officers fired on a guy running at them with a knife.

The Iowa Attorney General's office reviewed the Investigation by the Iowa DPS....................and cleared them in 16 days

This is the midwest....................and RURAL Midwest at that.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5413 users online. 307 members and 5106 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X