300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off duty powers

If you're off duty in city near where you work and you see a crime, what powers do you have? For example, if you see a robbery, do you still possess your full powers to arrest said individual?

Thanks,
    Bill

Simple answer; Yes. Hard answer; depends on the state nad or local governement. In CA, all peace officers in 830.1, 830.2 and most 830.3 can make arrests at anytime in the state, on or off duty.

Comment

In MN...

ON and OFF duty arrests while IN my jurisdiction are the same.

OFF duty arrests OUTSIDE my jurisdiction are only allowed when confronted with circumstances that would permit the use of deadly force. Otherwise it's just like a citizen's arrest for anything else...
      It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Comment

same powers and yes.
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by sockherman View Post
          If you're off duty in city near where you work and you see a crime, what powers do you have? For example, if you see a robbery, do you still possess your full powers to arrest said individual?

Thanks,
          Bill
          Yes. We don't stop being sworn LEO's just because we're off the clock.
          Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

In AZ its AZPOST so you can techincally have full on duty powers anytime anywhere in the state.. except worthless reservations but thats another argument.
            We are more held back by department policy which is so PC they dont like officers doing anything off duty less its a violent felony..

Comment

Originally posted by sockherman View Post

Thanks,
              Bill
              In Maryland it varys by your department's general orders. However the minimum standard which is in the state law here is

im not quoting verbatem mind you....

A certified police officer in MD has the same authority and jurisdiction on or off duty, in makes 0 difference

Outside of your primary jurisdiction your police powers are activated when

Your assisting the agency with jurisdiciton (with or without their request I.E. stopping and assiting with a traffic stop)

When perfroming a joint operation (I.E. Warrant Service)

Or when an Emergency situation exists

Maryland Defines an emergency as an unforseen set of circumstances that put property or people at risk (so basicly anything but littering)

However Maryland law specifically forbids traffic enforcement outside of your primary jurisdiction. However there are alot of ways around that issue.

Comment

Off Duty Powers

Alabama DPS. 24/7/365

Comment

Maine - Same on & off duty, statewide.

Comment

In New York for Police officers same as on duty.......for Peace Officers it depends upon the paricular job.

Comment

per our policy if a crime is commited in our presence we are required to do something about it off duty, but you arent gonna find me jacking a jay walker up off the clock. It better be serious

Comment

In VT, yes full authority 24/7/365, anywhere in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by P.I.Davis View Post
                          In Maryland it varys by your department's general orders. However the minimum standard which is in the state law here is

im not quoting verbatem mind you....

A certified police officer in MD has the same authority and jurisdiction on or off duty, in makes 0 difference

Outside of your primary jurisdiction your police powers are activated when

Your assisting the agency with jurisdiciton (with or without their request I.E. stopping and assiting with a traffic stop)

When perfroming a joint operation (I.E. Warrant Service)

Or when an Emergency situation exists

Maryland Defines an emergency as an unforseen set of circumstances that put property or people at risk (so basicly anything but littering)

However Maryland law specifically forbids traffic enforcement outside of your primary jurisdiction. However there are alot of ways around that issue.
                          P.I.....In Maryland, a Police Officer has the same powers of arrest on and off-duty throughout the entire state. They are not "activated" or deactivated at any given time. And yes you can perform traffic stops, etc in other jurisdictions if there is an MOU. Yes you do need to abide by your employing agencies SOP's, however you are a LEO in the state of Maryland and you do have off-duty powers in Maryland. If you did not, then you would not be covered by HR218.
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I have the same authority off duty that I have off-duty. Having said that though, if I observe a crime that is not an immediate threat to life or bodily security of another, I would prefer to act as a good witness for the on-duty guys.
                            Originally posted by kontemplerande
                            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

24/7 here...but soone better be in serious danger of being hurt or killed for me to do anything about it.....

Cervelo

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6075 users online. 342 members and 5733 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X