300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about motorcycle theft recovery

Hey all, got a question for anyone. Back in October my wife's motorcycle was stolen from our garage while we were out of town. Just yesterday we get a call from Oklahoma City Police Department telling us that they had found it and gave us an address to come meet them. We go to the address and talk to the officer. The guy who had it had just bought it about a week ago and it had been wrecked pretty bad, all plastics are gone and it won't run. The officer told us to load it up and take it away, which confused us right away as it belongs to the insurance company right now. We got a call from the Auto Theft Dept about an hour after we got back home saying that the officer made a mistake and it was supposed to be impounded and taken to the insurance company. We had all intentions of calling the insurance company the next day to see what they wanted us to do with it. Anyway, it's still sitting in our garage and an insurance adjuster is coming Friday morning to take a look at it and then take it away. We took some pictures of it and posted them on a local motorcycle forum and I got a phone call from a friend of mine that works at one of the local motorcycle shops saying he knew who owned that bike previous to the guy who we just got it back from. He gave us the guy's name and told us he had tried to call him to get some info, but he's one of those underwater welders so he's hard to get ahold of sometimes, as he's usually gone for weeks at a time. We called the Auto Theft Dept. back so we could tell them the guy's name and let them know to get ahold of our friend at the motorcycle shop and he would me more than willing to give them any information they needed about the matter, since the bike sat in his shop for a month after the previous "owner" had wrecked it. The officer we spoke to on the phone didn't seem to be even the slightest bit interested in the information we had to give to him, nor did he take any of the information we wanted to give to him. He said "We'll probably have a detective working the case sooner or later, if so he might call you"... I have no intentions of trying to contact the "owner" myself, as it's not my job...not to mention it might be somewhat dangerous...but who should I contact, or what should I do to help catch the original theft of the motorcycle? There have been nearly 20 motorcycle thefts in Oklahoma City this year already and I'd really like to see some of these theives get put away for a while...but when people are ignoring situations like this, I don't really see that happening. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

-Duff-

Such cases as yours, the thieves normally steal the bike and strip it for parts. There are rarely any leads to go on, and even with some names to start with, evidence is hard to come by to even get a search or an arrest warrant. I'm sure they are doing what they can, but I also know that they are probably getting overworked and have quite a backlog due to many other theft/burglary cases. I doubt in a city such as Oklahoma there will be a lot of attention put on your motorcycle. Not that there shouldn't be, but normally there are other ways to catch the bad guys.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
      normally there are other ways to catch the bad guys.
      Is that an unofficial way of saying that I might try to do a little backtracking myself?

Comment

Wow only 20 motorcycle thefts in OC this year? That's actually pretty low for a big(ish) city.

Comment

Just let the detectives handle the rest of the case. I get alot of phone calls from citizens who want to give me a bunch of useless information. The detectives will handle it.
          John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
            Wow only 20 motorcycle thefts in OC this year? That's actually pretty low for a big(ish) city.
            Those are just the ones I've heard of within the club I'm part of

Comment

Originally posted by redbird07 View Post
              Just let the detectives handle the rest of the case. I get alot of phone calls from citizens who want to give me a bunch of useless information. The detectives will handle it.
              I didn't really consider the name and address of the guy that sold the bike to the guy we picked it up from "useless information" though.

Comment

You also have to consider the detectives case load, and since this is a property crime in which the property was recovered and insurance paid, this case drops down on the list of things to do. The police are also going to have to prove that the bike from the shop was yours (which you are not going to be able to do unless the mechanic wrote down identifying numbers in a log book or on the receipt), you are going to have to prove the bad guy knew the bike was stolen (a friend of mine asked me to run the bike down to the shop) and the shop owner and the hapless guy who bought the stolen bike are going to have to testfiy in court and possibly at a grand jury. It's not as cut and dried as you think, but I do agree that whoever you talked to on the phone should have passed the info or your number on to the detective section.

Comment

Originally posted by Duff View Post
                  Is that an unofficial way of saying that I might try to do a little backtracking myself?
                  What I meant was that the officers will find other ways (i.e. sting operations, bikes with GPS trackers...)
                  I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Some of it still isn't making any sense to me, but I'll give it the benefit of doubt for now. I'm one of the few sportbikers that doesn't have the "FTP" mentality. I know 99% of you guys do your jobs to the best of your abilities and there's just things behind the lines that we as civilians don't see and can't understand what the hold up is. Thanks for all the replies fellas

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3313 users online. 152 members and 3161 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X