Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the penalty for driving without insurance ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loren Pechtel
    replied
    Non-LEO with a question here:

Years ago I got cited on no insurance/no registration. Both were current, just for some unknown reason the paperwork wasn't in the car (I had no idea it wasn't until I couldn't find it.) Here you can show the paperwork to the clerk and the entire ticket is completely voided.

I'm sure the information the officer pulled up showed whether the registration was current and I would think the system would tell him if the driver was uninsured. Thus what was the point in his writing the tickets?

I could understand it if I was far from home and maybe the officer didn't have access to the records of where the car was registered but this happened about 10 miles from home.

Leave a comment:

• cookdawg53
    replied
    In Florida your dl will be suspended, tag siezed, and your car towed.

Leave a comment:

• lewy15
    replied
    Iowa is 380$ for no insurance, it is like 740$ if you have an accidnet with no insurance.

Leave a comment:

• Ten10
    replied
    I work in MN...

Well...if you DID have insurance during the accident and date of violation, you have a certain amount of time to produce a copy of the insurance which shows it was active during that time period which you were in the accident and/or cited. Where I work our citations require you to provide proof within 10 days...some places require it by your court date, it depends.

If you DID NOT have insurance during that time period, which is unavoidable if you didn't, OR you DID but DID NOT provide the proof within the allotted time, here's what you can expect; Revocation of your drivers license and revocation of your vehicles registration.

If you want to read through the Statutes be my guest, it will explain everything...169.791 to 169.797

http://ros.leg.mn/bin/getpub.php?pub...stat.169.792.0

Like it or not, it's the LAW. It's people who drive around with no insurance and get in accidents that jack everyone else's rates up!!!
    Last edited by Ten10; 06-15-2007, 12:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• redbird07
    replied
    Large fines, possible jail time

Leave a comment:

• cervelo
    replied
    Here is it min $5000 for first offense...Plus I can usually tag on a "making a false statement to the ministry".....plus i have 2 years to dig and see if you did it before and if you did i get to tag those on as well....

Usually about 7k in fines and jail time..

That is one of the reasons I love my job.....

Cervelo

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Originally posted by sarah2007 View Post
    What is the penalty for driving without insurance in the state of Minnesota?
    A fine between $250 and $1000 plus up to 90 days in jail. It is a criminal misdemeanor in the State of Minnesota.

Leave a comment:

• R12GS
    replied
    What is the penalty for driving without insurance in the state of Minnesota?
    I'm almost certain the current penalty is death by firing squad, but the nice thing is I'm pretty sure they still allow you to select what cigarette you want.

Leave a comment:

• Jethro1984
    replied
    It' s so UNFAIR ...americans laws are so harsh ,
    Unfair? Holy cow. If you got hit by another person who didn't have insurance and you had injuries, wouldn't you want somebody to pay for that instead of you.
    Last edited by Jethro1984; 04-29-2008, 10:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• taz1802
    replied
    Insurance stop in NC..DMV submitts an order to yank the tag...Your tag is taken off the vehicle by the Officer/Deputy/Trooper whomever and the tag is given to DMV. If no order was issued (yet) citation for driving while tag is expired. Talk to the judge.

Leave a comment:

• exComptonCop
    replied
    Huh? You seem to have a distorted sense of fairness. You, and thousands like you, drive around under the radar in your undependable, unsafe, beaters. While the rest of us, pay extra for uninsured motorist coverage, to protect us from people like you! Now you come here crying "UNFAIR?"

I'm sorry, but you'll get no sympathy here. You've broken the law, and I hope the traffic commissioner(or whoever) applies the stiffest penalty available

I like britplod's solution...a lot

Leave a comment:

• Northtechsan
    replied
    You hit me while driving your car, you cant afford to pay my medical bill, or to replace my car. Because you don't have insurance I am now stuck with the bill resulting an damages from your inability to drive. Your right it is UNFAIR, for us, that you get away without any penalty.

The law requires everyone to have insurance, therefore it is fair.

Leave a comment:

• Gene L
    replied
    Here, it's a fine and your car gets towed. You can't get it back until you show proof of insurance.

If it's a lapse, such as your insurance expired a few days earlier and you forgot to renew it, then the judge is likely to forego the fine. But if you never had insurance, you're going to get fine. Nothing like $3000...there's no traffic charge in my state where you can get fined a felony amount, unless it's one of the very serious ones, like vehicular homocide or reckless driving or something. I've never heard of such a large fine for a single incident.

Leave a comment:

• Kpdpipes
    replied
    In NJ it's automatic Loss of license for one year, plus fines. Now, that said, if you think it's so harsh..then march yourself back where you came from and be happy there. If YOU are operating a vehicle it's YOUR responsibility to make sure it's properly insured, whether or not it's your car. YOU are the driver YOU are the one who would be on the hook if you injured or killed someone, nevermind liable for any property damage. IMO ANYONE who causes an injury operating a car without insurance SHOULD face Jail time..is that "Harsh" enough for you peaches????

Leave a comment:

• britplod
    replied
    Try driving over here me dear if i stopped you with no insurance you'd have your car towed and if you did'nt produce valid insurance we'd have your car crushed for good measures...........car insurance is there for a reason

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3986 users online. 243 members and 3743 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X