300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is your FTO program

What % of candidates "wash out" during the FTO process?

What is the main problem with those that do?

Just curious on how my department compares...
    Retired 02/01/13

Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post

Our FTO comes after basic, so they've already displayed basic knowledge of the law.

A few have flunked out, but most pass, and deserve to. The problems that trip them up are really bad report writing (which the FTO is responsible for) or a lack of courage, which is beyond the FTO.

Also, lying will get them fired immediately. Lying to another deputy or to their FTO, or OF COURSE in Court. Had a guy get fired for lying, but he post FTO. Pretended to answer a call, but didn't. Almost got a dispatcher fired as well.

We're lucky in getting some really good applicants. As I said, they're either already POST certified, or start off working in the jail and then are sent to the academy.

GREAT bunch of employees. I'm awed at the professionalism and the drive displayed by these men and women.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

they pass the academy, but end up a box of rocks and get extended

some have a natural born knack for it

some wash out of one dept, apply with another and end up super cop's,

the report writing skills are somewhat lacking, a guy that prints or handwrites
      in the manor of a 10 yr old is kinda shocking and reflects the school system
      we have now
      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

We would flucuate from 10% failure to 75% failure. It really depended on the trainee. I give my agency credit for putting faith in the FTO program. There was never a "We need this guy/gal to pass (or fail)" from ADMIN. What the FTO's said was golden.

Comment

The biggest wash out reason i've seen is lack of courage. When the **** hits the fan, if you dont even get out of the car, you need to be not only fired, but slapped repeatedly!!!!!!!

Comment

I think a couple of the biggest issues that will jam a new guy up are geography and officer safety. If you don't know where you're going, you're no good to anyone...and officer safety is obvious, if you're putting you and your fellow officers at risk for stupid tactics, no go.

Biggest thing to remember is, EVERYONE makes mistakes...and lot's of them. It's learning from them that matters...if you're continually making the same mistakes over, that will cause problems.
            It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Comment

Our FTO program at the department I work for comes right after the end of the approximately 30 week academy. It seems the biggest areas where officers slip would be in the areas of officers safety and geography. A lot of times officer safety can be reprimanded and fixed after a couple "Hey Dumb$%@" conversations. Most rookies just drop out because of geography. If you plan on policing in an area where you are not from originally, go out in you off time and drive around. It will pay dividends for you when you get that first "hot" call.

Oh by the way, we don't lose many on FTO. Probably 5-10% per class.
              [
              "If he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
              "The Man in The Arena"

Comment

I thought the FTO program was fairly straightforward. I listened to my FTO and tried my best. Things worked out fine.
                John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by bar221a View Post
                  If you plan on policing in an area where you are not from originally, go out in you off time and drive around. It will pay dividends for you when you get that first "hot" call.

Oh by the way, we don't lose many on FTO. Probably 5-10% per class.
                  YES! This is what I did...I drove an hour from where I live to the city I work, drove around with a phone book in my car, and picked random addresses and drove to them. I would also at home think about routes I would take to diff. places from the station etc. I put a lot of my own time into learning geography, but that was my weak point. Now my geography is great, no problems...and like bar221a said, you get that HOT call and your brain goes into lock down mode. No worse feeling than trying to go code 3 to a gun call or something and you look like a deer in headlights driving down the road...lol
                  It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Comment

How Hard is FTO?

Alabama DPS utilizes a 10 week FTO Program after a 26 week Academy. The program consists of three phases with two FTOs. Documentation is at the basis of the program, consisting of DORs(Daily Observation Reports) These are submitted by the FTO, and signed by both the FTO,and the Recruit Officer. Additionally, a Weekly Report is prepared by the FTO Supervisor, and submitted to the Troop or Unit Commander. A written test is given the Recruit at the end of each phase of the Program. in these exams, a passing grade of least 75% is required. Additionally, the FTO submits a Phase Ending Report to the Troop or Unit Commander at the end of each phase. . Homework assignments are routine, and may consist of the preparation of an Accident Report, Incident/Offense Report, or tactical situation exercises. Throughout the FTO Program, the Recruit drives, operates the radio, works the wrecks, writes the citations, all under the watchful eye of the FTO. Essentially, the FTO Program is an extension of the Basic Academy, but in a "real life-real time" setting. The program is not intended to be easy. While we certainly allow the Recruit to make mistakes, the emphasis is always on Officer safety, as in Tactical proficiency. If I had to pick two areas where a Recruit was most likely to fail, they were in "Geography, and failure to respond to training. These were the prime failure areas in my experience. Certainly, there are others. At the end of the day, the FTO Program isn't easy. It's not supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post

0%

The main problem is learning streets. Our's are really screwed up here. They stop at a dead end, pick up a few blocks over, stop again, pick back up, and so forth.

Comment

Oh...

FTO is not mandantory in Arkansas. The academy recognizes a 12 week FTO program. I spent 39 working days in it. The academy itself is 12 weeks, and the FTO process can be done prior to the academy, entirely after the academy, or split which mine was.

The sheriff's office here doesn't have an FTO program. The police department says you'll do it for 12 weeks but depending on how the person is doing...they may get out early or stay in late.

I FTO'd for 13 days, did 12 weeks at the academy, and then I rode FTO for 26 more days and was cut loose. The first day out I was told not to get into much, but after that I was allowed to do whatever fancied my interests.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5798 users online. 336 members and 5462 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X