Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paolo, when you move here, it is important to know that vehicle fuel in the U.S. costs about half of what it does anywhere else in the civilized world, so please feel free to buy a leather-lined automatic transmission equipped 4-door 6-passenger 4WD dual rear wheel turbodiesel 3500 series pickup truck and then equip it with a suspension lift kit and oversized mud tires, for the sole purpose of solo commuting on the interstate- you'll fit right in...

Comment

• Paolo
      Paolo commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW it's magic

And when engaging Americans in casual conversation, it is important to know that football is not a national sport in the U.S..

In the U.S., football is known as "soccer".

So if you say "football" to an American, they're going to assume that you mean American football, except that Americans do not normally know American football as "American football"- most Americans only know American football as "football".

Most Americans lack perspective on this- football has been an Olympic sport since 1900, but American "football" has never been an Olympic sport.
    Last edited by Aidokea; 07-16-2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Paolo
      Paolo commented
      Editing a comment
      I have heard it said many times, it is a very common mistake for those who go from Europe to the United States

Nice job stringing him along.

I think it’s just a case of filling in a survey and getting an automatic invite.
    He is not being considered for a job.
    His Italian LE experience has ZERO bearing and use since they are under an entirely different legal system, known for violating civil rights.

Paolo, nice ambition. You have to be a Resident in the US at a minimum to get a Green Card. You WILL not be offered a job unless the above are met.

Ciao.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
      not.in.MY.town commented
      Editing a comment
      Finally someone with a realistic perspective. Thank you for not blowing smoke up his ***.

I don't know- I have worked with cops from all over the world. One of the smartest cops I ever met, was a giant Hungarian guy with a thick accent. A good guy to have around, in a fight. He was previously a NATO flight controller on a big AWACS jetliner, directing NATO military aircraft.

If Paolo is able to allow some of the brethren to be able to take some days off without exacerbating the officer safety issues that running short creates, then more power to him.

Comment

Paolo,

Here is what most oral boards will focus on -
      • Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.
      • Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.
      • Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.
      • Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.
      • Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.
      • Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Paolo
        Paolo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
      I don't know- I have worked with cops from all over the world. One of the smartest cops I ever met, was a giant Hungarian guy with a thick accent. A good guy to have around, in a fight. He was previously a NATO flight controller on a big AWACS jetliner, directing NATO military aircraft.

If Paolo is able to allow some of the brethren to be able to take some days off without exacerbating the officer safety issues that running short creates, then more power to him.
      What was the "giant Hungarian guy's" immigration status? How long had he been living in the United States when he applied? Did he have US citizenship? Was he a green card holder/permanent resident? What kind of work authorization did he have?

Unless and until Paolo is able to legally live and work in the United States, everything else is irrelevant.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder about applicants with language difficulties. Many years ago we had an officer who escaped from Czechoslovakia during the cold war, when that country didn't want any of it's people to leave. He did it late at night in a snowy mountainous area where a border guard took a few shots at him. He spent a few years in the French Foreign Legion before he landed in the United States and eventually wound up working for us.

The standing joke was that he spoke 13 languages fluently, but none of them were English. He loved to work graveyard and his patrol area with us kept him in the central Los Angeles area. Frequently calls would come over the LAPD scanner asking for one of their officers who spoke a foreign language other than Spanish, to respond to a location. They rarely had anyone. Tony (our guy) would quietly head in that direction. The LAPD guys would look confused when a state car pulled to their scene, a hulking giant got out and asked in a heavy Czech accent, "You vanted someone who spoke Romanian?"
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I worked with an Iranian officer that had fairly sketchy English skills, and he seemed to do okay. He was a pretty funny guy, too. His parents sent him to the United States to become a doctor, but he decided to become a cop instead, which really upset his parents...

Comment

And Paolo, when we say "English", we mean American English, not British English. There are a lot of British English words that are not used in American English.

Comment

• Paolo
              Paolo commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I have studing American english

I’ve known several Colorado State Troopers who are British subjects.

The CSP did not sponsor them, in fact most state jobs you have to be a Colorado resident to apply, most married US wives and moved here.

I think one was on a student visa and converted it to a work permit.

OP, not trying to discourage you... but make sure you know what you have to do to make this work.

...and you do need to improve your written english.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-17-2021, 12:16 AM.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I'm disappointed in myself for succumbing to the spectacle and reading this entire thread.

A foreign national with barely passable English getting interviewed by some no-name CO department, with a bona fide hope of being employed? It smacks of troll-ism to me.

One of the site's saltiest members, who I've never seen be the least bit encouraging to anyone, actually posting (a lot of) supportive comments? Where's the sarcasm font?

And here I am, contributing to the madness...

Comment

• Paolo
                Paolo commented
                Editing a comment
                if the forum administrator wants to verify my identity, I will be happy to show him my documents. I am a real person, with real dreams and ambitions. the same ones who brought your parents and grandparents to America, because unless you are an Indian, you too are there because your ancestors had a dream and emigrated from their country. If young Americans don't want to wear uniforms because they no longer believe in Uncle Sam, it's understandable that agencies are looking for staff elsewhere. if tomorrow's interview goes wrong, I could accept the sponsorship of metalworking companies who are looking for engineers and who sometimes write to me. So one way or another I'll be able to legally come to America and make my dream come true. You can be happy for me and I will be grateful or you can try to hinder me and I will still go my way. There are many brothers in blue in this forum and I turned to them for advice, if you don't want to help me at least don't bother me.

• not.in.MY.town
                not.in.MY.town commented
                Editing a comment
                Paolo "If young Americans don't want to wear uniforms because they no longer believe in Uncle Sam, it's understandable that agencies are looking for staff elsewhere."

Huh? You really need to educate yourself on WHY US law enforcement is in a hiring crisis. It has nothing to do with "not believing in Uncle Sam". And do you realize that if you were to be hired by some local agency in Colorado that you would not be working for the federal government?

It's okay to have dreams...but dreamers are rarely hired into law enforcement. You may have accomplished a lot in your life, but when it comes to this, you seem to have the mentality and naiveté of a young child.

Paolo, who is the interview with? Is it the customary oral board panel, or is it with a recruiter/HR person? What platform is it going to be on? Is it going to be live video conferencing? Or is it a one-way interview where your responses are just recorded? Are you familiar with the technology they are using? (The last thing you want is to have to deal with technical issues during the interview.)

The above seems far more relevant than whether something is called soccer or football.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
                I'm disappointed in myself for succumbing to the spectacle and reading this entire thread.

A foreign national with barely passable English getting interviewed by some no-name CO department, with a bona fide hope of being employed? It smacks of troll-ism to me.

One of the site's saltiest members, who I've never seen be the least bit encouraging to anyone, actually posting (a lot of) supportive comments? Where's the sarcasm font?

TRUTH!

He tells this guy he'll make a great SWAT member...but in another thread tears down a kid because of a typo.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post

I think the guy is legit- I don't think he's a troll.

His nationality is irrelevant. We've already covered that.

His English skills are admittedly an issue. I think everybody is on the same page there. But he can improve.

And he is WAY more qualified and experienced than most entry level applicants- he's already a cop with an elite federal agency, he's military, and he speaks multiple languages.

That beats the living [email protected] out of so many of the delusional goofballs who come on here wanting to become cops. Go back and read the thread(s) on the pizza delivery guy that lives with his mom, the one that was training to be a cage fighter or whatever.

As far as his legal ability to be in the U.S. and to work in the U.S., he hasn't asked us about that, and I seriously doubt that any of us are experts in this area. If he can get that part figured out, he's got a decent shot at getting hired...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                    As far as his legal ability to be in the U.S. and to work in the U.S., he hasn't asked us about that, and I seriously doubt that any of us are experts in this area. If he can get that part figured out, he's got a decent shot at getting hired...
                    A decent shot at getting hired WHEN?

His alleged interview for this mystery agency in Colorado is in two days. Do you think they're going to hold his spot for the 3-5 years minimum that it's going to take him to get the immigration part "figured out" and to improve his English to a satisfactory level?

I've asked him multiple times what his and the agency's plans were in that regard, and his response was

Originally posted by Paolo
                    For work it is possible to move from Italy to the United States.
                    The reality is that it is NOT possible for the purpose of working as a cop.

This almost 40-year-old man lives in a fantasy world inspired by American movies and fueled by a bizarre infatuation with US law enforcement...and you're doing everything you can to shield him from reality. You do the opposite to everyone else who comes here. Why is that?
                    Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 07-17-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4022 users online. 241 members and 3781 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X