X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NolaT-

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

Have you never worked with a cop that was not a U.S. citizen? I've worked with many...
      Presumably they were permanent residents.

The OP has little prospect of obtaining permanent residency status or even a work visa -- at least not based on a Colorado LE agency's alleged interest in hiring him.

Comment

Paolo, if you are able to get hired, your military and police training and experience may also make you a good fit for some specialized units within the department (once you have completed probation).

For example, I would assume that you are proficient with a carbine and tactical situations, so you might do well in SWAT. Most U.S. police officers have no military experience, and most only use an AR-15 or shotgun a few times a year, to qualify at the range. Many officers in the U.S. fumble with the AR-15 even at the range, and many struggle to qualify with the shotgun at all.

Comment

• tanksoldier
          tanksoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          WTF are you talking about?

as I pointed out earlier, you aren’t every cop in the country

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, brother- you lost me. I didn't say anything about myself.

• not.in.MY.town
          not.in.MY.town commented
          Editing a comment
          You're making your American brothers sound like a bunch of incompetent bumbling idiots in an effort to stroke the ego of some Italian ex-cop? What's wrong with you?

never mind
        Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 07-16-2021, 08:32 AM. Reason: yes, I deleted my post...

Comment

Looks like we have another deleter...

Comment

Guys, the way I see it is that as hard as it is to find quality applicants, everybody is running short all the time, which is a major officer safety issue. Paolo brings a hell of a lot more to the table than many of the goofballs that we've seen. The delusional Desi pizza delivery ninja that lives with his mom comes to mind...

Comment

Lol-

Paolo, you realize that unlike the Carabinieri, American police officers generally do not get Alfa Romeo, BMW, Land Rover, or Mercedes-Benz patrol vehicles, right?

Comment

• Paolo
                Paolo commented
                Editing a comment
                I love American cars. They are perfect for American streets

Paolo, do you have a motorcycle driver's license and/or police/military motorcycle training? That would be one more advantage that you might have over other applicants...

Comment

• Paolo
                Paolo commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't motorcycle license

• 9L81
                9L81 commented
                Editing a comment
                Simone Corsi, Danilo Petrucci, and Michele Pirro are all or were at one time moto racers and LEOs in Italy. I don't recall what organizations they worked for buy maybe Carabiniere. Wonder if the worked motors at cops?

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                I did not know about those racers being cops...

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
              Guys, the way I see it is that as hard as it is to find quality applicants, everybody is running short all the time, which is a major officer safety issue. Paolo brings a hell of a lot more to the table than many of the goofballs that we've seen. The delusional Desi pizza delivery ninja that lives with his mom comes to mind...
              It doesn't matter what he could bring to the table...if he cannot get to the table.

Do you not understand all the immigration/work authorization/legal issues involved here? He's a foreign national living in a foreign country, without any family ties to the United States, no student visa, no work visa, and most likely ineligible for sponsorship by an employer. Unless he pulls some kind of immigration scam, he's not going to be able to legally work in the United States. And if he were to go that route, he'd be ineligible due to crimes of moral turpitude.

Neither he nor the agency seem to have any plan on how to resolve these issues...or fail to even recognize them as issues. The naiveté is mind-boggling.

Comment

Does seem like a long shot,......but Good Luck, keep us updated!

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                  not.in.MY.town commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do admire Paolo ' s enthusiasm. So if he manages to get hired, I'll happily eat crow.

Paolo, I don't know if you have much experience IN the U.S., but there are some cultural differences that may not be immediately apparent if you have not spent significant time in the U.S..

My perspective is the opposite of yours- I am an American who has some experience in Italy.

From my perspective, the jokes about Italians being late, disorganized, greeting people you don't know well by hugging and kissing them, and the heavy emphasis on relying on relationships to negotiate an outcome, are only funny because they have some basis in truth. We had an experience in Varese that was exactly like some of the jokes about Italians.

I'm sure that Italians have jokes about Americans too, and likewise, they're probably only funny because they have a basis in truth. Fat, loud, ignorant, arrogant, and wearing sports attire as casual clothing.

In any case, you learning to "think like an American" would be a good idea. I think that Europeans tend to be better at assimilating into their environment than Americans as a general rule, but it's still going to be an important thing for you to keep in mind. Any time you can spend in America, especially if you're able to spend time where you intend to apply, would probably help you to do this.

Comment

• Paolo
                  Paolo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bless your advice

Comment

Comment

Comment

I wish you good luck Paolo. I recruit for my agency and apart from the horrible cost of living running everyone out of the area or making them feel a govt job isn't good enough to survive in this area, the next biggest issue I have is that many of the people interested in working for my agency are foreign nationals and thus are not eligible to apply. But a high percentage of the people living here are foreign nationals and the vast majority of my targets are at least foreign born. So having that connection to another country and being multi lingual is very valuable around hear. Though I can't say I've needed Italian language skills yet.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                        not.in.MY.town commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My mother was German and I was raised bilingual. 25 years in law enforcement, and I got to use my German language skills twice on duty. One was pulling over a German driver who appeared to be intoxicated, and the other was assisting a tourist in making a theft report. Had I not been available, both could have been easily handled via a language line. Nevertheless, I did qualify for extra pay as a "bilingual" officer...

• 9L81
                        9L81 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Not needed German yet but Cantonese, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Hebrew, and Amharic have so far been needed. I'm sure before I retire I'll add at least a dozen more. We have a decent contract for phone interpretation thankfully.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4666 users online. 289 members and 4377 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X